Always were a helmet - ALWAYS!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by bobzrag, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    I agree wholeheartedly!

Here's me last Sunday...without the helmet I would be either dead or a vegetable right now...as it is I'm smiling and enjoying the day! Wear a helmet. It looks like I need a Fullface!
    (Dino Brown...photo)

2. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    There are still a few posts in this thread that Pete didn't thank.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I've personally seen 3 different peoples lifes saved because they were wearing helmets. I gots to go with Mechman and CalEpic here. Shouldn't be a mandatory thing. But in the same regard I have no problem yelling to people who are not wearing helmets "Thanks for the future donations"! Most give a puzzled look but a few have smiled and nodded and one guy just told me I was number 1.

4. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

You're just jealous because she's more of a man than Bushwhacker. ;)

Honestly though, I don't know what scares me more...Bush's single digit IQ, or Hilary's testosterone. :?:

WOW...looked him up on Wiki. What a trooper...back on the bike after all that! Amazing! :clap::bang::beer:

5. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I grew up riding bikes without a helmet... you know, the wind in the hair thing....I fought against using them for a very long time. I thought that it was my head and I could do what I wanted with it. About 20 years ago, my wife finally convinced me to start riding with a helmet. It wasn't until I took that 70 foot dive off of Strawberry Peak that really convinced me that helmets really work. I had a rock embeded 1 inch into the top of the helmet. I'd been dead without one... so much for the wind in the hair stuff...

To each his own, but I prefer to be around to celebrate my 66th birthday this month...

6. TrailJesus

TrailJesus New Member

student
    Dude the mental image I get of this guy hitting the pavement and cracking his head is gross (and I'm eating cambells chicken noodle soup). I guess I'll just have to wear a helmet or learn to land like a ninja #-o

7. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya. He was our family dentist for 12 years. Nice guy too. I hate to even picture it myself.

8. Hoosierdaddy

Hoosierdaddy I Drink Therefore I Am.

School Bus Mechanic.
    So that's why your hair is so nice.

9. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Helmets are uncool! Nathalie you are right who cares what one looks like with it. I have two girls depending on me so... I can't take any chances. I wear the stupid thing. If I'd not been wearing mine first time in Whiting - I'd have even more serious brain issues.

I don't let people on my bike rides if they are not wearing one.

10. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

See how the Bush group is. The truth can't be handled, so they alter it to suit their own purposes. :wave:
    I think Bush didn't wear a helmet early in his riding career, which could explain a lot. He probably should use a helmet for pretzel eating, let alone biking.

My brother and his bud have fought the helmet for a while. I have told them that its my selfishness that makes me get on them about it. I want the trails to remain open.
    When there is an article about a MTB crash in the paper, it doesn't say 'some Fred who wasn't wearing a helmet donated himself to Mother Nature today', they say 'Mountain Biker found dead in ACME wilderness park'.
    I tried to get my brother to buy a helmet on Saturday. If he had, I would have brought him to Whiting on Sunday - his loss.

I tend to agree with CalEpic that the laws are ridiculous, but I don't think that the main reason is to save cash - more likely to save the emergency folks from having to clean up someone else's brain goo.

11. mntbiker12

mntbiker12 Quest: Singletrack

Marketing Director / Marketing Consultant
    Wow! What a story!

Thanks for that post. Raisin's story is quite inspiring. He had a devastating crash in April 2006 at the Circuit de la Sarthe, and ended having part of his brain removed!! After serious rehab, he's not only doing fine, he's back on the bike!!

Full story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Raisin

Here he is racing again in the US TT Championships:

[​IMG]

12. ShugaMama

ShugaMama New Member

I agree it IS a personal choice, but...

If you are willing to accept the consequences it is up to you, but in my line of work, I have seen the devastation that results from this. Just be careful, folks. :)

13. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I bet Pete always wears his helmet! :bang:

14. sladnas

sladnas Gumby

Let it be said, partially by my avatar, that simply wearing a helmet is not enough. You need to wear the thing correctly. That means straps properly tightened, with the adjustable slides just under the ear. The helmet should fit "flat" on your head, not pitch up or down, and certainly not move around if you wiggle your head back and forth/side to side.

This has been a public service announcement.

15. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I thought you were 45? I doin't know why you would not want to wear a helmet with your hair? Your hair is perfect. I think it would be impossible to mess your hair up :?:

16. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Sorry for the OT, but dude, Jeff, you've been working this on MULTIPLE threads!! :)

17. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    While we were riding Bunker Creek there is a fire road climb out after the fun descent... it was *really* warm so a few of us took our helmets off to cool off a bit on the climb. We started heading a bit down hill. I rode for mebbe 1/4 mile at the most before pulling over to put the helmet back on. Just felt really weird without it.

However, I did ride at the beach a few weeks ago (going extremely slow) without a helmet, and I mess around the neighborhood without one also.

We didn't have to wear helmets as kids until I was around 12. Stopped riding a bike again until Justin and I rented mountain bikes when I was probably 22. Didn't have issues wearing the helmet then.

I always wear one offroad (even climbing), and always when commuting on my road bike.

18. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    This past spring Neil went and pre-rode one of the 12hr Temecula courses by himself, I got the call...I've crashed and I'm hurt...He had hit a sandy section and went down hard. He could barely talk - he had bitten his tounge almost off.

Later in the evening we were rehashing his whole crash thing, and took a good look at his helmet - It was cracked in several places from the comprression. then we looked closer at this head, he had bruiseing - that lasted for at least 2 weeks from the impact.
    All I can say is:

THANK GOD HE WAS WEARING HIS HELMET!

19. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    That was me, and I know I looked cool.

20. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    When I broke my collarbone in 99, I also landed head first. I snapped my collarbone clean, the helmet was also cracked. Good thing I was wearing one eh?