Always were a helmet - ALWAYS!

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by bobzrag, Sep 18, 2007.

1. bobzrag

bobzrag bonedaddy

So I get a call from the wifey today, her and her friend take their new cruisers to the beach to go for a ride. My wife's friend isn't wearing a helmet...why you may ask (as did I, as did her husband), because they are 'going to the beach, what can happen at the beach!?!' arrgggghhh

So they are cruising along and their communication gets messed up and the friend rubs her front tire with my wife's back tire and down goes the friend (you remember the one with NO helmet), right onto the ol' noggin.

She went to the hospital and everything seems good, might have a small fracture on one of her ribs, and she'll definitely be sore, but she's conscious and lucid! She was pretty disoriented at first and doesn't remember the accident at all.

So when you, or your kids, or friends, or wife, or wife's friend says 'I don't need no stinking helmet', smack them on the head and ask them if it hurts!

Drives me nuts going mtb'ng and I see people hitting trails with no helmets!

Protect your gray matter - were a helmet - ALWAYS!

2. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    But it makes my hair look funny! ;)

3. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Honestly I don't wear a helmet when I cruise the beach. I guess I'm willing to take the risk. Chances are I could get hurt walking on the beach as easily as cruising my bike on the beach.

Kids that's a different story...Wear em'

4. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    Sometimes when my truck is in the shop, I deliver pizzas and I wear a helmet but take it off when I leave Dominos store. The boss never knows I take it off.

5. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

If for nothing else but your love of the sport, wear your helmets

a brain injury can change your life and really mess things up for the rest of us that need to take care of you!
    So wear the thing, please.

6. Burner

Burner WAWE

I'm all for wearing helmets myself, as for the rest of you... deep down, if you don't want to wear a helmet, then I just think it's your dumb ass (or head) and and you can do whatever you want with it. you know, natural selection. (If you haven't noticed, Darwin is my hero)

BUT... here's the rub, if cracking your head open only affected you, then knock yourself out (literally)!!!! However, in the real world, if I come around the corner and you're flopping around like a fish on a deck b/c you wouldn't put the brain bucket on, then I'd have to stop and try to help, and it would really ruin my ride.

So please, for the sake of MY stress-free riding pleasure, wear your f'ing helmets people.

7. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Jackson Rulz! I don't wear a helmet when around town or down to the beach. I am always thinking about it when I am riding in the streets to run errands. I know I take full responsibility for my actions. I bet if the state of California made a law that everybody has to wear a helmut then I would really hate wearing the helmut thing and would proberly be getting many tickets at first.

8. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Not wearing a helmet is kind of like not wearing your seatbelt, or voting for Bush...basically a mark of ignorance. :lol:

Admittedly, if I'm putting around the neighborhood, I don't don the brain bucket. But if I'm going to be riding near traffic, busy streets, or dirt...it's a "no brainer" (wah wah wah).

9. Mudd

Mudd Don't be a Markus!

Telecommunications
    Fixed it for you.

10. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

She

maybe the right man for the job:-k

But Slick Willy will make one ugly..... first lady

11. PacMan

PacMan New Member

My family dentist growing up was a roadie. He did a few repairs to his bike one day and decided to spin it around the block to test out his repairs without a helmet. The repairs were fine, but the neighbor's sprinkler was leaking onto the sidewalk. He rode through the water, lost control and cracked his head on the edge of the curb. His wife came outside to tell him dinner was ready and he was dead in the street.

WEAR YOUR FRIGGIN' HELMET!!!!!

12. guero

guero iFroth

13. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I agree with Mechmann - If someone doesn't want to wear their helmet, be my guest. I think they're stupid but they make their own choices.

Helmet laws are ridiculous. And don't go spouting about the rest of us having to pay their medical. If we can afford to pay for millions of illegal aliens' health care we can afford to pay for the Darwin award winners.

14. ahimanic

ahimanic Victim of Karate Monkey

Bean counter!
    I know we all like to feel the wind in our hair but riding by the beach is actually not as harmless as it seems. The bike path is often covered with sand that makes turns slippery and the bike paths along the beaches are always choke full of people and obstacles that create an ideal environment for accidents. Bikers tend to get relaxed around the beaches and let their guards down whereas on dirt trails we would focus.

Plus, the concrete is HARD!

I've seen a lot of bikers fallen at the beach and many of them sitting on a curb holding their heads.

But, in the end it's a personal choice as long as we are aware of the risks and consequences. Who's to say hucking a 10 ft. drop with a helmet on is smarter than riding the beach without a helmet. :?:

Totally true...usually you'd get hit by bikers that are feeling the wind in their hair :D

15. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I dont wear a helmet on the beach riding my beach cruiser. I go a whopping maybe 2mph the entire time I ride so I am pretty sure that I can handle that massive amount of speed. I think its more harmful walking the boardwalks than riding them on a cruiser. You need to worry more about the jackass thats riding his road bike at speed along a boardwalk cluttered with tons of people. Atleast on a bike you have some protection if they were to hit you.

16. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

Aren't you the chick that just had a major concussion? You might want to protect that pretty mellon!

17. 26'er Zen Master

26'er Zen Master S.F.B

Doggie dentals
    Home Page:
    Highhopes.ws this is what not wearing a helmet can do....

18. Break n Bones

Break n Bones OFS

gunsmith for KPD swat teams
    There was this guy who was WEARING a helmet and he road out into traffic and was hit by a 42 thousand pound truck but it was ok , He lived cuz he had on a cheap popcorn styrofoam helmet ... :p

When its your time :?:

Yes helmets are good but I dont wear them for just putting around .

19. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    There is NO place more dangerous than your local beach bike path! NO PLACE!! I would rather ride the 405 at 3 a.m. than my local bike path with no helmet! Brainless kids making u-turns. Elderly folks on beach cruisers making u-turns. Roller bladers kicking up their legs and waving their arms like a windmill and mindless walkers 5 across.
    Wanna know about head injuries? Google Saul Raisin.

20. Permagrin

Permagrin Hard landing comin' up!

My roommate is one of my dearest and oldest friends but I refuse to ride with her because she thinks a helmet makes her look uncool.

The only place I don't ride with a helmet (which is so infrequently anyways I can't remember the last time I was there) is the bike path at the beach and thats only during off times when no one's around so I can cruise and not worry about others being around.

Anyways, I feel naked without it and very vulnerable and who cares what you look like? I want to live to ride another day, not worry about helmet hair. The other day I saw a guy coming out of el moro with no shirt and no helmet and if he thought he looked cool, he was sooo wrong.