All Things STRAVA (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by hawkesworthm, Dec 13, 2009.

1. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    Yep, but it's only for 1 week? I mean, I know WHY, but that's just too short of a time! #-o

I upgraded recently to Premium. It would be great if they added Average Speed and Average Power into the HR Zone Distribution - that way you can see if your average power and speed are increasing within the same HR zone over time (such as Base Aerobic). I sent them an email to that effect and they pretty much responded with a "that's nice" email....ugh

2. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Yep. Let the fun begin...

3. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

I just put bar ends on my bike to give me some additional hand positions while I enjoy grinding up all the hills this week. Good luck to everyone; it's going to be a bitch, but I really want to finish this one. Last year there were something like 10k people that signed up, and only a couple thousand actually finished.

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    So now Strava is shutting out 3rd party developers and disappointing the runners who use the site.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/07/cutting-removing-functionality.html

Yet another reason why it seems like the opportunity is ripe for a new service to snag Strava's market share.
    Is anyone using MapMyRide and its "Courses" function - their version of Strava's segments. There's a leaderboard, etc., much like Strava, though the interface seems a bit less user-friendly.

5. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    Ya Eric already got 2k meters on his first ride, watch him finish in 3 rides, 4 max!

I did first ride today and logged 1200 meters, my goal to finish is 7 rides as I need all the time I can get, also trying to keep at least SOME strength in the legs as Over the Hump starts back up two days after the challenge ends.

Strava Rocks, "MapMyRide" can "KissMyAss"!!!

6. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

I had a monster day on GMR today; got 2289 meters. After riding back down from the village, I turned around and went back to the shack. It's going to be a long week; with the exception of next Sunday, the rest of my climbing will be in the dirt.

7. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Does anyone know how to fix this? This makes no sense. If I kept the timer on (and I didn't), why does it look like I flew home? All the stats are correct (elevation, distance, etc), but why does the map include my drive, I mean flight home?

Edit: Cropped the ride using the Crop option.

8. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    To prevent such a case end a ride by stopping the timer and then doing a reset. I'd guess you turned it back on at home which made the track look like a resume from power failure.

9. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    So I did just that. Stopped the timer and pressed the reset button. And the trip vanished completely. ](*,) Any idea what I did wrong?. Good thing it was just a routine ride just from Bommer to El Morro

10. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The data on the screen was reset to zero (new trip). You can see the old trip as one of the activities in the history file. It's available when you download.

11. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    It's not in the history folder. It's gone. I know the trip was recording. I stopped the timer and then pressed the reset button. It's gone. My Garmin is Edge 305. Maybe it works differently.

12. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

I was working on a program to pull data from specified segments and input them into excel. I was almost finished and then Strava released this info and I cannot pull that data anymore. Pretty big disappointment. If Strava won't allow 3rd party developers and they cannot fix the flag segment issues I can see their market share dwindling, especially if an equal or better platform comes along.

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    No difference, I used one for years. When you say "trip" does that mean something more than a long ride? The 305 is good for a few days of riding after that it deletes the oldest ride. It keeps the summary of the ride in the history file but not the track.

14. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Strava is keeping some 3rd party developers, VeloViewer for one. Maybe VV has some features you wanted. Strava has the market and won't be dethroned for years. Mapmyride - I found useless.

Would any other site get this publicity? Strava KOM Take Down

15. destroyer

destroyer I build jumps

I haven't found any other 3rd party apps that do what I want. I would like more analyzing metrics among people on the leader board instead of just the KOM. It would be nice if they showed cadence next to heart rate in the segment rankings.

As for Strava being dethroned, remember when MySpace was unstoppable? I can see another site taking a good chunk of business if it had all of Strava's features and some other nice ones such as personal challenges, club challenges, or other user created challenges. One of the apps I was trying to create was a list that combines times of multiple segments. I was hoping to have a monthly challenge in our bike club where the person with the fastest times on 3-5 segments during the month was our club KOM that month. The KOM were fun in the beginning, but now it's a little boring because you can only get a KOM with a big tailwind on most segments.

16. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The club challenge is still feasible. In the Santa Monica Mountains we have a summer challenge - 15 MTB climbs and 15 road climbs.
    The site owner could tell you how to.

http://www.smmtchallenge.com/#/leaders

17. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    All I can tell you is, I started the timer, went on a ride, stopped the timer and then pressed the reset button. Then the whole trip/ride was gone. During the ride, I looked down to make sure the timer was running. It was running.

Did a little experiment later. Started the timer and let it run for a few minutes while walking around the house. Stopped the timer and then reset. This time, the "ride" did not disappear. Who knows what happened with my real ride yesterday.

18. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    Yes, but Strava is not the MySpace of fitness tracking, it's the Facebook of fitness tracking. Strava has reached critical mass, it's smarter, better looking, and responsive to the market. Strava is to fitness what Google is to search.

19. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Except that Strava is allowing itself to be destroyed gradually by its own users and detractors who create free accounts then flag segments for no legitimate reason.

It's quite likely that someone will take what they did right and take away what they did wrong and riders will defect. Many riders stopped using Geoladders when Strava came on the scene.

If Strava's CEO doesn't grow a pair and reign in his lawyers and fix the flagging issue, that company will fade away gradually--a victim of its own mistakes.

20. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Would it be too much to allow only Premium users to flag segments? That would go a long way towards keeping anonymous trolls out.