All Things STRAVA (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by hawkesworthm, Dec 13, 2009.

1. OnYourLeft

OnYourLeft New Member

I agree with you 100%, but Strava should be concerned about someone taking advantage of their vulnerabilities and lack of certain features. Think MySpace getting obliterated by Facebook. I agree with the notion of switching right now being a downgrade (going from Google to Bing - well put!), but don't put yourself in a position to be MySpace! Just saying...

2. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I don't get it. My understanding is it was one douchebag, Jonny Canfield, who maliciously flagged climbs and various other segments that clearly weren't hazardous.

It should take no more than a few hours, if that, to deactivate the jerk's account and remove the flags.

Anything longer than that is because they're either choosing not to, for whatever reason, or they're incompetent. And I don't think they're incompetent, I have a feeling they're being overrun by lawyers, which is too bad.

3. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I have a feeling they are choosing not to remove the flags because it opens them up for liabilities. Imagine the lawsuit when someone gets hurt where they removed the flag on a segment that was labeled as dangerous. I'm not saying I agree with it, but given the recent lawsuits I understand why they might be being conservative.

Its a pain, and not ideal, but I assume they are working on it and it will get figured out in due time.

4. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    It seems like most companies they put most effort into new features and leave fixes as lower priority. Recently in beta test has been a real time update (on smart phones) of your rating on a segment as you complete it!

5. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

The jerk flagged the climb up Cholla, the climb up Willow, the climb up Mathis, the climb up Modjeska Grade Road (STT/Luge)...

Why can't they pull their heads out of their a$$es and realize it was just a jerk and reverse the flags?

I was willing to give them a reasonable amount of time, but it's been months.

6. LadiesMan

LadiesMan Pro Member

General Contractor
    Home Page:
    I think you're absolutely right, they probably are being overrun by lawyers, and the sad fact is that the lawyers and their associated layers of BS are a very real hurdle in business nowadays, especially big business, to the point that the code is probably already written and ready to be uploaded once legal gets done sitting on their hands and gives the Ok

7. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:

Here you go:

Cholla Climb - http://app.strava.com/segments/4377332

Willow Climb - http://app.strava.com/segments/4377344

Mathis Climb - http://app.strava.com/segments/4377365

Modjeska Grade - http://app.strava.com/segments/4101686

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Have any of you actually worked at a company that had legal action surrounding a death of a user or customer?

Have any of you actually had participate in legal proceedings for a company. Do any of you know what a legal hold is?

Crap I am not a big fan off all this either but Strava just had this case dismissed a couple days ago, do you honestly think they were going to do anything while the case was still active, hell they are probably waiting for a re-file.

$hit did any of you track your own times beforehand... or actually race your buddy to the top....

Yes it the lawyers ... .get over it or move on... record your times and post them here...go to your local bike shop and put them on sticky notes...scream your KOM times from the ride spot..cancel your membership...start your own company but for gods sake... stop yer freaking whining ...and go ride yer bike... Frack!

I had to get that off my chest...

9. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Hello
    Strava is making a change to their API, maybe some changes will be addressed? I don't know. http://engineering.strava.com/update-on-the-api-v3-release-and-v1-v2-retirement/ It looks like they are going to restrict the ability to export GPX for non-premium members.
    The change will effect the use of Cosmo's Strava Exporter, http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/export/index.html. Check his thoughts and his .php bulk exporter. http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/shutdown.html The .php is written for Mac. A change needs to be made to run on PC. If you know enough to run php you will figure it out.

10. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

The irony of this little tantrum made my morning.

11. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Glad I could help :)

12. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
  13. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

its nice that strava upgrades the interface with new feature for free users, this newest addition is pretty sweet. I deffinitely have some favorite segments that are important to me, this way its pretty easy to keep up to date on whats happening with ur favorite segments.

14. greo

greo New Member

Sales
    I have yet to validate all functionality, but.......It seems that all you need to do is click the little star next to a segment and that makes it one of your favorites. Once it is "starred" any claim of it being hazardous doesn’t impact what you see. All I can say is STRAVA has really thought outside the box on this one. Nice work STRAVA, faith restored and very impressed, way to put the power back in the hands of the users:clap:

Just wish I could "star" a segment and have it remove the "hazardous" claim because, if it’s a favorite segment, isn't it on me if I get hurt chasing a pixelated ribbon or trophy?

15. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Does anyone know if there is a way to download from Strava a route to a Garmin 500? I can do it in Geoladders but the GPX file isn't recognized when i move it into the courses folder on my garmin?

Thanks

16. strobe

strobe resident noob

I think you have to have a Premium membership to download GPX files other than your own.

As for the GL's GPX... you can download it to your computer. Then do a manual upload to Garmin Connect. When you open that ride in the Analyze section, there is an option to "Send to Device" (i've never tried this yet) or "Save as Course". Then as a course, i will send it to my Garmin. The garmin routes are FIT format, which might be why its not reading the GPX. Garmin Connect will put the route in the correct format when you send it to your device. Once on the device, you can then delete the activity from Garmin Connect so it doesn't give you the stats that you didn't ride.

Its really much simpler than i seem to make it out. Hope you get the idea.

17. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter
    Yeah I get all those steps and I am a premium member but I am wondering if you download it straight as a TCX file?

Thanks

18. westcoaster

westcoaster New Member

but it still doesn't show the leader board does it? I don't have a premium account but it will only show me the KOM time but no leader board. Does it show more with premium?

19. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Move the file to the NewFiles folder on the garmin. It will convert it to a course when you boot up.

20. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

Anyone else sign up for Rapha Rising that starts this sunday?