All sorts of noobie questions for the roadies

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by davidB, Jul 17, 2009.

1. davidB

davidB Active Member

I've wanted a Roubaix for the last six months since I rode one around the parking lot at the LBS. With the powers of STR I was able to sell off one of my mtn bikes and pick up a 2009 Roubaix Comp last night. :bang:

Having only ever ridden a road bike for those 2 minutes I wasn't too sure of what to look out for. The bike came with Speedplays but I don't have road shoes or cleats for those yet, so i threw on my eggbeaters and put on my dirty mountain biking shoes.

I ended up riding 20 miles of scary ass traffic from 4-6pm, apparently not the best time to get on the road if you have the whole day to do so.

Anywho, i came up with a bunch of questions while riding, so take it easy on me.

-Earlier today I got a quick list from a couple guys on here on what to pack. I set out with one tube, plenty of co2, cell phone, id, debit card (should replace with cash), multi tool, and a patch kit. What else should I be bringing?

-The skinny tires already scare me enough, so how often should they be replaced? and though it's a bit more obvious, how do you know?

-Any habits from mountain biking that I need to forget while on the road, or transfer over?

-The V-brakes scare me. I'm just used to that hydraulic feel and almost instant stopping power of good hydros. Better pads, or just the nature of v-brakes?

-Hand position: There's about a half dozen different ways to grab the bars. I guess it's just a learning thing, but any tips in this department? I found myself changing it up a lot while climbing.

-I go through water pretty fast and had just enough when I got to the top and refilled at a fountain they have up there. Where do you guys typically refill at if you're riding the regular roads? the thoughts of popping into some fastfood restaurant and getting some ice popped into my head.

-and last but not least, any way to keep white handlebar tape clean?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I took note of:

-I was suprised at how much the skinny tires held their own bombing down the paved road. But the proverbial rock would always find its way into my path.

-Invest in some good sunglasses.

-The Chantry climb is 3 miles/+1000ft. I can only assume that's normal for canyon roads.

-There is no easy way of riding through traffic at 5pm.

-I can't imagine riding with music if there is a possibility of a car being around like I saw one guy doing today. I was already on pins and needles the whole time hearing imaginary cars as it was.

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
  3. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I know some others will have plenty of advice for you. I'm not the best.

But, here are my thoughts:

If you can fit two tubes in, that's great. Sometimes you'll run into another rider who need a tube and sometimes the reason he needed one becomes more clear a few feet away from where you handed it off.

The tires will wear, just like mtn bike tires. If the center become thinner than the sides or you have a flat spot, change it (mine usually develop a flat spot over time). If you find yourself getting more flats, change it. When you have something slice through it, change it ;)

I'm by the beach, so my rides usually have a few water spots & I've come to know them over time. Fast food restaurants or coffee shops are a good place to go when you're in need, too, or parks and beaches.

Habits? I merge mine now (hahah). When you are riding with someone else, drafting is great! Stick to their tire like glue and you're putting out significantly less effort, while going faster (or, if someone is one your wheel, they do the same). Because of this proximity, the front person becomes important in pointing out obsticles in the road--signal for slowing/stop/turning and crap in the road---crap that you ride over without thinking about is crap that freaks out some roadies (RR Tracks, potholes, lips in the road).

If you ride in a group, PROTECT YOUR FRONT WHEEL! Someone can hit you, your bike, or the rear and you'll be okay (especially with mtb skills), but someone hits that front wheel and you're usually kissing asphalt.

Can't remember the VBrake difference. However, I got on my husband's bike, equiped with the SRAM red and those things stop on a dime! If you're truly uncomfortable, you may want to check into your options more. Just remember that the faster you stop, the faster the people behind you can slam into you (so SIGNAL or prepare for a bump-in emergencies, you can't always signal).

There are three official positions on the bars, from what I've been told. These positions "save your wrists" on long rides--on the hoods, on the flat spot of the bars next to the headtube (about shoulder width apart) and in the drops. Of course, if you're comfortable some other way, who really cares, as long as you can stop/signal when needed.

As for keeping the white tape clean, that's why mine is black. :)

Of course, I'm not an expert, so feel free to seek out other opinions and discard mine ;)

4. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    Congrats on the Roubaix. :clap: We should ride someday since I just picked up the demo Tarmac they were selling down at the Path.

I'm still a road newbie myself, but I can say you'll get used to the tires, and the brakes. As far as music I wouldn't think of it unless I was on a bike path/river trail.

Other than that, I think you should ride with some serious rodies and learn all those evil spandex wearing road habits.

5. subiguy04

subiguy04 New Member

Creative Manager
    Home Page:
    Its okay to use whatever you have for pedals and shoes. I rode SPD's and mountain shoes for years because I didn't care with the road bike I had. Then I got a sweet roadie and decided to get road specific shoes. Advantage is road shoes lock in tighter, less float, stiffer than mtn shoes = more power delivery.

On any road ride I carry two tubes, one crutch (to cover blown tire, if applicable), two co2s, quick inflator valve, multi-tool, plastic tire irons, and gu's or food, wallet, and cellphone. I carry all this in my jersey pockets. Your list is good, covers just about everything.

You'll get used to the tires. 23c is standard and feel good once you get accustomed to the way they handle.

On a road bike it mores about keeping up your cadence (pedal speed and rhythm). If you keep a smooth cadence, you'll cruise over the road like nothing. It's better to drop a few gears and spin rather than hammer on the pedals.

V-brakes or calipers take a little time to "scrub in". They will feel better over time.

With regards to hand positions, sitting on the hoods is the most common position. Thats where the shifter areas clamp onto the bars. For descents use the drop outs. You'll have more control and a better grip on the brakes. For climbing its okay to move your hands around and stay comfortable. I usually use the top bar for climbing, sometimes I ride hoods. If I want to hammer up a climb I use the drop outs and sprint.

I use two water bottles and usually have some left over after a ride. You use to learn water more efficiently and find ways to refill along the way. Restaurants or gas stations are good. I usually stop by a liquor store and fill up with gatorade on long rides.

As for keeping bar tape clean... don't use white. :lol: I have white tape and I love it cause it looks awesome on my bike!!! Its getting dirty, I just ride it. You could wear gloves, that should help or retape it more often.

Sunglasses are a must. Good ones are not necessary. I use $8 glasses I got from a hardware store. They look expensive and sleek, have very good optics and if I crush, scratch or lose them, no biggie, they were 8 bucks.

"-There is no easy way of riding through traffic at 5pm."

You have to pick your battles. If I ride the road bike its usually after work at 5pm. It is dangerous; less visibility for cagers, bad sunlight angles, all sorts of hazards. If you can get out somewhere people don't drive, i.e. hills then its not so bad. And staying off major roadways helps.

"-I can't imagine riding with music if there is a possibility of a car being around like I saw one guy doing today. I was already on pins and needles the whole time hearing imaginary cars as it was."

I don't ride with music on the road or the mountain. I prefer to hear if there is something going on around me. It would be nice for motivation, but I like to listen to myself, concentrate on my breathing and enjoy the sceneary.

Hope all that helps! I love riding my road bike, can't really say I love road over mountain or vice versa, I just like riding bikes.:bang:

Another thing... when you get better or serious about road riding, get the bike professionally fitted. It will do wonders for your riding and efficiency. You'll be able to ride painless for miles on end. I got mine done free since I bought a new seat, shorter stem, road shoes, and pedals. Completely worth it though!!!!!

P.S. Congrats on the sweet bike!! Road is fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  6. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    Looks like your saddle is pointing a little low on the nose, looks like it's shifting your weight onto the bars. Try leveling it out and then set your saddle height. The nose can be slightly lower than the rear, but it looks like yours is a little bit too low.

7. subiguy04

subiguy04 New Member

Creative Manager
    Home Page:
    I was going to mention that and your bars look pretty low for your saddle height. If you feel like there is too much weight on your arms, you could try flipping the stem over so it angles upward. You don't want to rest on your arms while roading, it will make you more tired and puts strain on your shoulders.

8. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Congrats on the new ride. That will be a super nice ride for you!

-Earlier today I got a quick list from a couple guys on here on what to pack. I set out with one tube, plenty of co2, cell phone, id, debit card (should replace with cash), multi tool, and a patch kit. What else should I be bringing?

That is pretty much all you need. I feel it is always good to carry a regular pump. However finding a good pump that can easily get your tire to the necessary pressure (100+). So look into getting a good pump. The Topeak Road Morph is a fav on the forums but it is a tank. I have a carbon fiber lipstick pump if you want it, make me an offer. I would recommend getting one of those presta/schreder (sp?) converters. You can use the CO2 to get you close to 100 psi then use a gas station pump to get the rest of the if you have a converter.

-The skinny tires already scare me enough, so how often should they be replaced? and though it's a bit more obvious, how do you know?

There are a few things to look for. One is large cuts in the tire. Road debris will put some pretty big slashes in the tires. Another thing is a noticlble flat section on the tread. This will commonly happen on your rear tire first. As you start to notice this happening it's a good sign it's time to rotate your tires. It's pretty obvious it's time to replace the tire if you see the core of the tire showing through the tread. You would think the girl on the Death Ride would have replace her seriously worn tire before the ride. The coure of the tire was poking through after the first major descent. #-o

I was pretty nervous about the skinny tires as well at first. You will get used to it but it will take some time. Don't be afraid to get the tire pressure up there. Get the tire right up to the recommended max.

-Any habits from mountain biking that I need to forget while on the road, or transfer over?

That's a good question. I honestly can't think of anything really.

-The V-brakes scare me. I'm just used to that hydraulic feel and almost instant stopping power of good hydros. Better pads, or just the nature of v-brakes?

I totoally hear you on this one. This took me a long time to get used to. Keep in mind you went down a pretty difficult descent. Chantry is not an easy descent. I still ride that road pretty caustiously. I think I descend faster on my MTB.

-Hand position: There's about a half dozen different ways to grab the bars. I guess it's just a learning thing, but any tips in this department? I found myself changing it up a lot while climbing.

This is a pretty personal thing. I personally spend nearly all my time on the hoods (meaning hands wrapped around the top of the bifters (break/shifters). I find it feels safer to descend in the same position however you don't have as much leverage on the brakes with this position. There is more leverage on the brakes when in the drops.

-I go through water pretty fast and had just enough when I got to the top and refilled at a fountain they have up there. Where do you guys typically refill at if you're riding the regular roads? the thoughts of popping into some fastfood restaurant and getting some ice popped into my head.

There is generally a liquor store on every block around here. In a pinch once I used a hose at a church just before hitting a very rural climb on the way to Ojai. Two bottle should be enough for pretty much every ride. Two large bottle should get you 3 hours if you are drinking conservatively. I've gone from the East Fork bridge on Highway 39 all the way to Newcombs Ranch on two bottles.

-and last but not least, any way to keep white handlebar tape clean?!

Mmm. Purell maybe? :) Get black tape next?

Things I took note of:

-I was surprised at how much the skinny tires held their own bombing down the paved road. But the proverbial rock would always find its way into my path.

-Invest in some good sunglasses.

-The Chantry climb is 3 miles/+1000ft. I can only assume that's normal for canyon roads.

Chantry is a pretty good climb for sure. Don't judge all roads based on the Chantry climb. Riding on a long flatish road nearling 20 MPH for a while is a nice thrill.

-There is no easy way of riding through traffic at 5pm.

I personally don't mind riding in traffic. I purposely take Colorado through Old Pasadena on the way home from weekday ride (day or night) just to ride in traffic. I also have no problem taking up a full lane if it means I'm going to be safe. I have a dual personallity between offensive and defenssive riding when in traffic. I find a rear view mirror (I love my beer view mirror) is a huge help on the defenssive side. When approaching a light or intersection where it looks like people are turning right, I always pass on the left. People turning right never look to see if a biker is passing them on the right. If you take up the left lane people see you. Oh a Plant Bike Super Blinky attached to your helmet can be seen pretty well even in the day. I had a motorcyclist thank me for having it on once when riding Highway 2.

-I can't imagine riding with music if there is a possibility of a car being around like I saw one guy doing today. I was already on pins and needles the whole time hearing imaginary cars as it was.

I would not ride on the road with headphones in both ears. I would and have ridden on the streets with one headphone in my right ear. I didn't like it too much. I generally ride with music but only when I use Slipstreaz headphone thingies.

Something to think about it. The fit of a road bike is so much more important that with a MTB. If you start to have any muscular/join pain consider having a professional fit. I would highly recommend The Physical Edge in Arcadia. It's pricey at $200 but worth every penny for me. I am very finicky when it comes to fit. A few millimeters off and I'm crippled after 6+ hours in the saddle. Over two bikes I've had $500 worth of bike fittings that's how important they are to me.

9. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

Congrats on the comp; that's the exact bike i got and love it. Here's my .02 on some of your questions

-Earlier today I got a quick list from a couple guys on here on what to pack. I set out with one tube, plenty of co2, cell phone, id, debit card (should replace with cash), multi tool, and a patch kit. What else should I be bringing? go to your fedex supply cabinet and cut yourself a couple of 4x5 sized tyvek envelope material or if you have those cd sleeves made of the same material that works too. You can use the tyvek to boot your tire should you get a big hole in your tire and it's growing a tumor. Also doubles to hold you spare tube in your saddle bag so that it doesnt get damaged while inside your saddle bag; also keep a couple dollar bills in there as well it also works in lieu of the tyvek

-The skinny tires already scare me enough, so how often should they be replaced? and though it's a bit more obvious, how do you know? I had this same questions but with care (rotate often rear wears faster than front) check your tires after every ride for debris that might have embedded itself into the tire. i get friggin steel splinters that work their way into the tire and flat my tube :(. also when you ride through a debris field get your ID card out and hold it over your front tire to clear some of the stuff that might have stuck on the tire. My stock tires at least the rear lasted a bit over 1000 miles before a some cuts messed up the casing and caused a tumor that left me stranded 20miles from home LOL

-Any habits from mountain biking that I need to forget while on the road, or transfer over? you can bunny hop just be careful

-The V-brakes scare me. I'm just used to that hydraulic feel and almost instant stopping power of good hydros. Better pads, or just the nature of v-brakes? the stock rubber on the 105 brakes works pretty good for me. i've red the coolstops? are a good upgrade

-Hand position: There's about a half dozen different ways to grab the bars. I guess it's just a learning thing, but any tips in this department? I found myself changing it up a lot while climbing. do what's comfy for you, on long sustained climbs i find grabbing the top flat bar helps sit you up and open up your chest. when i'm out of the saddle climbing there's a couple positions on the hood that works well. do what's best for you

-I go through water pretty fast and had just enough when I got to the top and refilled at a fountain they have up there. Where do you guys typically refill at if you're riding the regular roads? the thoughts of popping into some fastfood restaurant and getting some ice popped into my head. i plan my routes where i know that there are fountains or a starbucks or somewhere where they dont mind you walking in and filling up water from the soft drink fountain. and when you're feeling sluggish those cute 1/2 cans of cokes are a great energy boost :)

-and last but not least, any way to keep white handlebar tape clean?! you know what i find ironic, where i grab on the bars are still relatively white but where they're left exposed to the element it gets dirty. i've heard oxy clean w/ a toothbrush works but have not tried myself.

Things I took note of:

-I was suprised at how much the skinny tires held their own bombing down the paved road. But the proverbial rock would always find its way into my path. 47mph was the fastest i got going down aliso creek road to el toro road and that was scary. a bmw driver pulled up next to me looked at me and at his speedo and looked at me again...i sat up after that

-Invest in some good sunglasses. big YES also some extra lens for varying days. some days i do clear if it's over cast or a threat of rain

-There is no easy way of riding through traffic at 5pm. i commute once a week to and from work from aliso through irvine/santa ana and it's quite fun you learn to be very defensive and for the most part the drivers in these areas are very cognescent of you

-I can't imagine riding with music if there is a possibility of a car being around like I saw one guy doing today. I was already on pins and needles the whole time hearing imaginary cars as it was.trust me will it help you if you heard a car coming from behind you about to cream you? i have my shuffle clipped to my chin strap on the right side w/ one earbud on the right ear. Left ear left open to hear other riders passing or cars. I figure if i'm going to get hit i dont want to know that way i'm relaxed like how drunks walk away from accidents

Like Gene posted RoadID is good to have i got one for my wife and I it's peace of mind when she's out riding solo and i'm at home w/ the kids and vice versa. I also use a money clip to hold my CDL/VISA/Health Insurance card and a few bucks fits in your jersey pocket nicely

Hit me up if you have any other questions or if youre in the oc and want to do a chill ride. I'm not super fast compared to the roadies that have been riding a lot but i surprise myself once in awhile :)

10. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

My comments may seem rudimentary ("duh") comments, but they are things that I learned, either from someone or "the hard way." The biggest change mentally I have to make between road and mtn is that my tires CANNOT ride over the big obstacles (or up driveways) unless I'm pretty much perpendicular to it. On a mtn bike, no problem, but the one time I crashed, it was trying to ride up a driveway at a diagnal. The skinny tires gave it a college try, but no dice.

My road bike came with spds, and I was fine with that since my mtn bike has them. For a few different reasons, my knees gave me some pain, and on my last ride, my feet went numb. I had one of those professional fittings just a few days ago, and the guy suggested speedplays. I've changed them but haven't gotten to fully break them in. For road, though, he said it's a very good option (for dealing with knee pain and toe numbness).

Finally, about music...I agree that people who ride with music in both ears are living on the edge. What I have done is to keep the volume low AND put only one earbud in. I get just enough sound so that my mind is humming along, but I am still aware of what's going on. And even though riding on the road gets less scary the more you do it, you ALWAYS have to ride defensively.

Sorry if these tips aren't much use, but they are my .02.
    Great bike and good luck with those climbs!

11. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

FYI, for the music, you CAN get a ticket if you ride with the earphones in BOTH ears.

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    The differences I see for the most part is the terrain and what satisfaction you get from the ride. Road bikes are very efficiant and climbing 5,000' on a ride is no big deal. You don't have the rock gardens but you have time goals you can try for and of course you won't be doing any jumps but you can go for distance. Pace lines can be a lot of fun and your adrenalin will really be pumping if you do it right. Imagine going 25 mph+ with inches between your wheels and trying to hang on and then doing your turn at the front. Believe me this is fun. Skinny wheels make you a better rider too. But a crash on asphalt is almost always worse then one in the dirt.

Most of our rides avoid heavily traveled traffic areas and if we do have to ride we look for places with wide shoulders but if you want to climb you're going to have to deal with it.

That bike is one that I've wanted for a long time and it's a great bike to get started on. Try to stay away from traffic until you get more comfortable with the bike.

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Yep just like if your driving, yet it seems like with the new handfree law no one seems to care about this. I see so many damm Iphone (I assume its Iphone they look like apple headphone) users with both earbuds in.

14. Dizle

Dizle Gear Masher

Professional Student
    oops

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  15. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

Get a ride through Hwy 101, start from Oceanside and go south all the way to Torrey Pines, you'll get at least 50 miles covered, Its a nice place to get started/feel/acclimated to road riding.

16. davidB

davidB Active Member

So much advice in this thread, thanks!

I don't live too far from the Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale, which means I can hop on the San Gabriel River bike path and in theory take it all the way to Seal Beach right? Any way of getting lost heading that way or stuff to look out for? I know there tend to be some shady characters hanging out under the streets.

And anyone have any speedplay cleats? I have the pedals but want to see what the hoopla is over these pedals

17. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Be on the lookout for:
    *Glass!!! :(
    *Debris
    *An occasional bump/crack in the path
    *Shady characters

Congrats on the new bike! :clap:
    For the record: I thought about buying it myself!

18. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    The SGRT is actually a really nice ride. Not the best scenery but still a surprisingly nice ride. The beauty is there are no lights and very few others on the trail. You can really just get into a groove.

It's pretty hard to get lost on the river bed trail. I guess there are two areas to pay attention. Both are at the Whittier Narrows damn. Heading south you want to keep heading south, which is a left hand turn, just north of the damn. If you go straight at the right hand turn you will hit a street. If this happens turn around. Just past the damn you will get flushed out onto a street at a bridge. Cross the bridge, left hand turn when going south, and get back on the path on the other side of the trail. From there it is a straight shot.

I hear you about the unsavory characters but this has never been a problem for me and I have ridden that trail at many different points of the day. I tend to see far fewer of these types early in the morning. Personally I will never ride the LA River alone but have ridden the SGRT many times alone.

19. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    1. Get CARBON road shoes and road pedals, the difference in stiffness is HUGE!

2. Don't look down at your skinny little tires.....they are fine and keep your eyes on the road!:lol:

3. The front tires can last up to 4000 miles but the rear usually last around 2000 miles depends on how your ride and how soft the rubber is.

4. Plan your ride with google map with street view so you can find streets with wide bike path.

5. Wear really bright, ugly/obnoxious VISIBLE jerseys.......no earth or dark colored MTB jerseys unless you want to get run over.

6. Watch for small glass and sharp objects on the road....they can and will give you flats

7. Get a Garmin 305 or 705 so you can train in your heart rate zone, speed, cadence, grade, elevation gain.......worth every penny!

8. Buy good bibs......trust me it's worth it

9. Chamios Butta!!!!!! Yeah it's worth it also......but can be substituted with Vaseline.

10. Don't ride in traffic during traffic time......duh!

11. Ride with roadies to learn the ways and signals off road riding.....or get yelled at.

12. Bring ID, some cash, Keys, credit card, 2 water bottles, 1 tube, 1 patch kit, 2 co2, 2 levers.....you can go all day with these.

13. Watch out for those scary under passes on the san gabriel trail.....very dark, narrow and full of debris.....and during the week and at night homeless people. But in general SGRT is pretty good. You should ride from damn in the morning and get to river's end cafe for lunch and drink then let the heavy afternoon tail wind push you home.

14. Ride smooth....no sudden turns or stopping unless absolutely necessary! Signal just like you are a car so cars and other riders can safely ride near you.

15. Now go ride!

20. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

who are you who are so wise in the ways of riding?