Advice Needed/ Visiting SOCAL next week

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by superfads, May 23, 2008.

1. superfads

superfads New Member

CAE Engineer
    Hey guys

I'm kind of new to your Forum but I know how Biker Family works. Here's my thread request... I'm from Michigan and I'll be visiting SOCAL next week for a 3 day trip. I know it's short trip but this is what I have for now. I'm not bringing my bike with me since it's not worth the trouble for 1 ride (at most)
    Here's how I need help:
    1- can somebody advise me about any good trails not too far from Huntington Beach... I prefer expert or intermediate
    2- Is there any LBS that rents a Mountain Bike for 1 day (I don't have time to ride more than few hrs), I can ride SS / Geared / FS / HT, I have no problem...
    3- Is there any beginner trail nearby so that I can take my nephew out to introduce him to Mtn Biking?
    Any advices are appreciated and if anybody visits SE MI you are welcome to hit me up for any help

Thanks in advance
    Fadi

2. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Aliso Hills? :?: any locals want to chime in here? I am from LA county =-/

3. tehelmo

tehelmo Enjoy the ride!

Sonographer
    Not familiar with mtn bike rentals in HB, but that's a huge beach cruiser rental area.

4. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    The Path in Tustin rents bikes (for $55 a day I believe). They would be no more than 20 minutes away from Huntington, and from there you could shoot up the street to Peters canyon for beginner friendly riding.

As far as more advanced trails there are a few trails in central to south OC or north OC/south LA (Aliso, El Moro, San Clemente, Turnbull cyn, etc) that I will let others chime in with. The thing to keep in mind with Orange County is that it's very spread out here but everything is still magically a 20 minute drive away.

5. Kpeony

Kpeony Domestic Floral Goddess

Florist, 25 years
    Excellent idea, and Rock N Road Cyclery is just up the road from there and can rent demo bikes for fun. The terrain is diversified and can be challenging, and great for beginners both. They can also provide a nice trail map! Tell them a Trail Angel sent you! Have fun, and which day and time do you plan on riding, as maybe one of us (a Trail Angel) can give you a Tour de Aliso Woods?> :wave: K

6. el cap

el cap Active Member

You should definitely ride Aliso/Wood Canyons, El Moro (Park Ridge Dr.) and LWP. Also, if you decide to drive a little south to San Onofre, you can ride San Clemente Single Tracks. There are a lot of good trails in Cleveland National Forest like Holy Jim and San Juan Trail. All you need to do is search the threads on STR and look for local trails on MTBR. Enjoy your stay!

I'm sure you can rent bikes at most bike shops.

7. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    I'd stick to the beaches

[​IMG]

8. el cap

el cap Active Member

I totally agree :bang:

9. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Your best bet will be the Laguna area. For bike rentals check Laguna Cyclery. They have Santa Cruz, Turner and a couple more brands.

For riding - El Moro (Crystal Cove State Park) has a variety of trails. Nothing really expert level but if you have a newbie with you it might be perfect as long as he can handle some climbing. Great ocean views there.

10. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Dunno the age of the hopper, but there is some decent beginner stuff in Huntington Bach at the Central Park.
    If you go to the parking lot on the Northwest corner (the dog park one) you can ride either toward the lake or around Dog Park to the horsie trails on the hill.
    It is really local, and can be fun if you do a few laps around the horse area and then over to the Frisbee Golf course and around the dirt/grass there.

Attached is a map

I'm also a big fan of Aliso Woods
    http://www.ocparks.com/alisoandwoodcanyons/

Attached Files:

11. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

This is all good advice.
    For Aliso, you can do beginner, ( up woods canyon) and intermediate, up cholla and down lynx or Rock it.
    The park itself fairly small, but you can get a few hours riding in and not cover the same trail more than once!

El Moro, more begginer/intermediate. Lots of fire road, and begginer friendly.
    These are both staple of mine, and close enough to HB so as to not spend your vacation ( 3 days ) driving the whole time.
    Oh, and don't miss walking on the beach at HB, great "views"

Rent your bike from the Path, Rock and Road or Laguna. These are demo bikes so they tend to not be so much "rentals" as a way to check out the newest gear. If your lucky enough to get a "demo" day at one of these places you could ride their bike for hours for free!

OH, check this out;
    http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php
    for trails. I'm personally don't thing all their routes are the best, but it gives you an idea of what to look for.

12. superfads

superfads New Member

CAE Engineer
    Thank you all for the wonderful advices
    I went once for a beach ride where I tried all their bikes there (from Zack's if I still remember well) I got the 4 wheeler that doesn't move on 1 rider power bcz of it's heavy weight and then I switched to the single speed with a baby seat attached on its back. It was a nice ride
    I'll read carefully everybody advices and make my decision in the next few days. I might be leaning toward going to local easy trails (like in Central Park in HB) and I might go alone for a good trail next Saturday May 31st. (I have to check my schedule again and I hope somebody will tag along...) I'm staying in HB for just 3 days :(
    Thanks again and I'll get back to you guys with my plan
    I wish everybody a great Memorial Weekend

13. superfads

superfads New Member

CAE Engineer
    Here's my plan (of course if weather is permitting)

I'll be riding HB beach on Saturday morning with family member.

I'll try to ride the Huntington Beach Central Park with my 11 yr old nephew. I’m staying prob. 2 miles away from there.

& I'll be riding at Aliso (Laguna Niguel regional Park) sometimes Saturday noonish/afternoon. I'll try to ride “up cholla and down lynx or Rock it.” Thank you drew12 for the info and the geoladders.com link. I saw some pictures of the trails which helped me make my decision on top of the proximity to HB.
    It seems the trails are wide (double track). Is there some single track? Is it one-way trail?

Regarding the renting, I’ll try to arrange a rental in the next few days

Thank you everyone for your contributions

Fadi

14. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

If post a ride in the trailhaed with where your going and when I am sure more then one local would be willing to join and show you around.

15. superfads

superfads New Member

CAE Engineer
    I'm heading to Crystal Cove State Park. I'll be riding at 6 PM. I hope I won't lose my way :) (sorry for the short notice but this is what it is now)

16. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Check out the path sunday rides, a quick spin through the Oaks may be just what you are after....