Access XCL 9.5 29er

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by arkenzo, Jul 18, 2010.

1. arkenzo

arkenzo New Member

LASD
    Hey guys...I have a 10 year old Trek 6500 that I am currently using, it kicks butt, handles all the trail rides I take it to like a champ, but it's aging and I want something newer..

I went to Performance Bike in corona off the 91 fwy and noticed this Access 29er that is on sale for $699 (originally $899). The bike components looked solid and the bike itself looked fantastic. The bike rides great and I'm really considering the purchase, but hesitant because I've never heard of the brand Access. I google searched the brand but didn't find much besides a few Positive reviews...

Here is the link >>>>> http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1081532_-1_1511002_1511000_400308

Specs
    And..

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

I don't personally own one...

JeffJ absolutely LOVES his Access 29er!
    Completely transformed the way Jeff rides a bike
    I don't remember the last time I saw him ride his Giant Reign (no desire... even on bumpy trails)

Rodgerdodger: I've ridden with him 2 dozen times!
    As far as I can tell, he seems quite confident on the bike (no matter where we go)

I suggest you PM each of them!
    (They will tell you the good, the bad and the ugly)

One HUGE reason to consider the frame... 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    "Performance guarantees 100% satisfaction with every product we sell. If an item does not meet your expectations, just send it back and we will promptly replace, refund, or credit your account - whichever you prefer."

3. arkenzo

arkenzo New Member

LASD
    Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback! Yes I like the warranty that comes with the bike, the salesman also told me that if it ever needs adjustments, they would do it for free and give me discounts on installations if I ever upgrade the components.

4. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Access is Performance's mountain bike house brand. Scattante is their road house brand.

5. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Not sure about the 29'er but their regular 26" hardtail frames are made by Kinesis... Awesome frames for the price you pay!

6. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    The components are what they are on the build you mentioned, but I can also testify to the strength and durability of the frame. Like Dino, I ride with Jeffj (who is a big guy) and he's had nothing but praise and good times on the frame. You might want to see if they have a little bit better build available, but all in all you'd probably be happy with the bike.

7. Neccros

Neccros Technically Canadian

Engineer
    Or just buy the frame and spec your own parts... Might cost more but you can get exactly what you want

8. arkenzo

arkenzo New Member

LASD
    Thanks guys, I'm going to buy the bike today. Will post pictures when I get back, thanks!!

9. arkenzo

arkenzo New Member

LASD
    Well guys, bad news, they did not have the frame size I needed.. I need a 17 frame size for this 29er, which they checked every local store and non had the bike available. Not sure why they didn't make more frame sizes in that particular size, guess it wasn't meant to be :( I really wanted this 29er :(

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Cant they order if and have it shipped to store? They will even build it if you do that.

11. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    Usually they will buy a trainload of discontinued models and blow them out at spectacular prices.
    That said, they often don't have many of the popular sizes at the discount. You gotta move fast.
    I got my 2004 Turner Burner frame for 800 bux at supergo (before they were bought out by performance),
    but they only had 1 medium left and I really needed a large. I make do though with a big stem and post.

12. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    I have an Access XCL in a 26" that I built from spare parts. The quality of the welds and the finish on the frame are quite good. The frame weighs in at about half a pound heavier than the Trek frame it replaced, which I consider acceptable for a sub-$100 frame.

The headset they include with the frame is pure junk. As for the frame itself, I can't think of anything negative to say about it.

13. arkenzo

arkenzo New Member

LASD
    Thanks for the feedback, I could have special ordered the Access, but was unsure about wanting to wait for it, the bike shop would have assembled it but I didn't want to wait for the bike to be shipped ect..

I did some more research and found a nice Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29 for $599 at my local Specialized dealer (incycle.com in rancho cucamonga). Any thoughts on the Specialized? I am going to check it out tomorrow and hopefully take it on my first ride as well.

Specs:

14. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I have an access xcl 9.7 21" frame and I ride the hell out of it. I had to replace the cranks, the stock low-end truvativ ones are no good for a guy my size 200+. I've definitely got my money's worth out of it. I spent about $1000.

15. arkenzo

arkenzo New Member

LASD
    Well guys, here is the new addition, Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29, took it for my first ride today and was totally impressed. Shifting was precise, front suspension was fantastic at absorbing the uneven terrain, the brakes will hurt you if you don't be careful (they stop on a dime!!), the seat is comfortable, the components look solid, the only thing that is left to be desired is the tires #-o, but will have to do until I wear them out and replace them with a different type.

Attached Files:

16. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Just got back from a week at Big Bear, so I was all but 'internet-deficient' and just now saw this.

I was just drawing a huge breath (figuratively speaking) and then saw you got the Specialized. Enjoy your new rig. Looks nice!

As for the Access, Dino said it all. I've ridden the Reign twice since I got the Access 9r. Once on a chunky slice of SLO last November and just this past week on Cougar Crest in Big Bear. Only reason I didn't ride Cougar Crest on it was because I didn't trust the tires.

17. babu9000

babu9000 New Member

Nice bike! I am sure you will have a ton of fun on it. Personally, I really like the Fast Trak LK tires on my 29er. I use one on the rear of my Stumpy 29er.
    [​IMG]

18. arkenzo

arkenzo New Member

LASD
    Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the tires, maybe it's just the braking that I have to adapt to..Reason being, the rear end slides out alot more often now on loose dirt/terrain when braking and turning, this wasn't much of an issue with my previous bike BUT, the Specialized has amazing stopping power!

19. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Check your tire pressure too....if you can drop it a little it'll add to your traction....

Congrats on the new rig....