Downhill ABOUT TO PULL THE TRIGGER ON MY dh

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by Rockinthecasbah, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

About to pull the trigger on my new big bike. im pretty much settled on the 2009 boot r team, but other options are the session 88, transition dirt bag or blind side, uzzi or 951, flatline, or maybe even a slayer slope style. Alot of people know me, but if you dont i ride skyline, baldym santiago oaks, fontucky, aliso often. I have to keep what ever bike i buy for at leats 1 year so i need to think long and hard and bounce ideas off people.

Big bikes, flatline, boot r , 951, session
    Pro's Can bomvb and will be faster then my 7 point for most things,

Cons, maybe not quite as responsive for someone with a bmx background that likes to jump alot

Slopestyle, dirtbag, uzzi,

pros, is possible to ride it up hill, may ? get more use out of the bike

cons, harder to bomb things on, may be harder to ride at baldy, may not be good for doing 7 + drops

what to do, the plus of the boot r is is will cost 1k less then the others with a simular build and has fantastic reviews

The flatline will need a new fork as will the slayer slopestyle since they both come with junk ( marz)

2. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    you know me.. i have been riding with folks that doesnt really ride gnarly dh which i need to do more often, shoot me a text when your going.. only thing i wouldnt do is mt. baldy.. is cause its too much of drive in my gas guzzlin truck for a 40 dollar a day lift ticket.

3. cid`

cid` booger flicker

just run to an LBS and grab the 25$ a day lift ticket discount coupon :p

or if you roll, lemme know, know some of the operators that could hook it up..

if you build one.. get one you either want to keep for good, or an intermediate and dont spend so much so you have more cash to throw around for parts etc..

4. Rockinthecasbah

i can get tickets cheap for baldy as well, but on the serious side,

who wants to tell me to stop being a snob and buy the boot r ??

I'm EP ing a bike so I have to keep it for a year , then i can sell it and most likley will to EP another bike

5. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Ricky, like said before, If you want to use my ECD for a bit you are welcome. That said the bootr I rode with a RS vivid was top notch. The bootr is sick. On the old bighit at vail my times on the bootr were over a minute faster on a 300 lbs spring. Even not set up right the bike was fast.

6. Rockinthecasbah

ive ridden an ecd at fontucky, and messed around on the boot r, have all the cash for the boot r team just hoping it jumps well i guess, how does your ecd feel on big drops ?

7. Ride2live32

Ride2live32 New Member

Custom Fabricator, soon to be cooking chef
    Ricky, what does your gut tell you? if you like fast cornering, but weird feeling pedal movement when you jump, doesnt bother you.. then go for it.. if u dont like it, u could sell, but maybe no profit.

8. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    pretty damn plush and balanced in the air. I want to say something bad, but there is nothing bad to say. If any complaint small bumps kinda suck on the bike, but every bike has short comings.
    As far as the I-Drive, you really dont notice the BB moving, even when pedaling.

9. NATAS

NATAS New Member

Tech
    Check out this bike, sick
    article from dirt magazine
    Exclusive:New Mondraker Summum

Posted on August 02, 2009 @ 9:39 PM
    Fabien Barel is absolutely flying these days, a win in Maribor and fastest qualifier in Bromont. There's got to be something about that bike hasn't there? Want to get hold of the new Mondraker and be as fast as Fabien?

Well I can't promise you'll be as fast as the master but you can ride the same bike, Cesar Rojo just sent over this info regarding the new Mondraker Summum which will be available in early October. Looks tasty doesn't it?

NEW MONDRAKER SUMMUM
    From Zero to win

The Mondraker family has just proudly presented after more than one year of development, the new weapon for Downhill; the Summum. The bike is exactly the same as Fabien is flying in every race, and he took to the victory in Maribor world cup. Here has received the final design shapes and lines and has it done in a very spectacular way. The bike is been engineered/designed with one very clear goal in mind; to obtain the maximum performance from every rider independent of their skills.

[​IMG]
    César Rojo the Mondraker main engineer involved in the development of Summum was very clear with his goals on this bike: "Our main effort apart from optimizing the kinematics of the bike for maximum efficiency, has been in making the bike as much user tuneable as we could, the bike will be available in three sizes, and will be fully adjustable on the head angle, chain stay length and fork height. The user will be capable to have any geometry available on the market, from a very extreme geometry as available only on custom world cup bikes to a more neutral freeride geometry."

[​IMG]

MAIN CHARACTERISTICS OF THE BIKE ARE:
    " Zero suspension system with 205mm (8") of stroke
    " Very light frame 3360gr (7,40lbs) with no shock, shock bolts and rear axle
    " Three sizes: S, M & L.
    " Lifetime warranty.
    " Adjustable head angle in 3 positions: STD, +-1º and +-2º
    " Adjustable chain stay in 4 positions: 435, 440, 445, 450mm
    " Pro team bike 15.5kg M size, no pedals and tubeless tires as shown on the image.
    " All axles and bolts in aluminium 7075-T6
    " Hidden housing on the frame, main tubes and swing arm.

[​IMG]

M SIZE TUNNING SAMPLE.
    " Head angle 63º STD (Range 61º to 65º with cups and up to 59.5º with max fork height)
    " BB +10mm STD cups (up to +30mm with max fork height and +2mm with slackest position)
    " Chain stay 440mm STD (435, 445, 450mm)
    " Wheelbase STD 1180mm (from 1140mm to 1235mm)
    " Fork height 565mm (565 to 600mm)
    " Front center 740mm STD (705 to 785mm)

[​IMG]

Geometry charts for the three sizes.
    S size 15" (380mm)
    Head angle 63º
    Front center 715mm
    Wheelbase 1150mm

M size 15" (380mm)
    Head angle 63º
    Front center 740mm
    Wheelbase 1180mm

L size 17" (430mm)
    Head angle 63º
    Front center 765mm
    Wheelbase 1210mm

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

Have you looked into the Yeti 303R-DH? retail is fairly good for that (more than the boot'r), but you can probably still get a good deal on it. it's only 700 more than the boot'r

it's got a solid build and an adjustable geo (slack for baldy, steep for jumping/messing around, fairly easy to adjust)

also in that price range you can take a look at a 951 complete or a new uzzi with a bling build

11. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    from what you describe, you climb to your downhills, you for sure dont want a plow bike to climb. Of all your choices the Uzzi would be th most versitile. The slayer ss rides nice as well, but if you are not worried about climbing The Flatline or the 951 are the Shiiiiizzzzznit! or? what about the Foes Fly?

12. Rockinthecasbah

I have other bikes to climb, handling and being able to handle big hits comes first . I'm not all for the intense cool aid, the vpp 2 has some problems people dont talk about and it bothers me theyt ,make a new model DH bike to replace last years every year

I've ridden the flatline but the problem is I would have to buy that and a fork at the same time because the 888 is a POS

13. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I'd trade Jared for his bottle rocket:?:, for my style I like an XC frame for climbing and beefy treads. Currently lacing some 823's to a set of light weight Thru-Axle hubs to complete the formula.

14. Rockinthecasbah

bam! desicion made you cant argue with good press

15. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    what desicion?

16. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

+1 inquiring minds must know!

17. gooseaholic

Auto inspection
    oh the pain of not knowing!!!:lol:

18. Vince

Vince New Member

Plumber
    Home Page:
  19. JohnnyGent

JohnnyGent In it to win it

Ricky, from what i can tell reading and from the one time i rode w/ Gray, you are a smart guy who knows sh!t tons about bikes and performance. So go w/ what your gut is telling you. It sounds like you want the Goose, and rightfully so! Its had killer reviews, its pretty much pimp'd out like Santa's sled on xmas, and it seems to be dollar for dollar the best value. Personally, i would love a $6000 killer DH bike, but money doesnt grow on trees in my back yard. I am big on value and i like the idea of riding bikes that others may snob at because the brand maker also makes "lower end" bikes. I ride a GT i-drive from Performance cause i felt it was a killer deal and the bike would provide great value to me. And i ride a newly aquired Glory FR. yes its 47 lbs. but to me the deal i got on it and the amount of fun i've already had on it riding and pulling it a part to clean and put back together has been through the roof!!! I say pull the trigger for the value and unknown amounts of fun you'll have on it and give me a call when you get it put together cause i want to get into more DH :wave:

20. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    What are some of those problems?