A-Line in Turnbull

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by KBL, Mar 25, 2009.

1. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

The wet weather has left most of this beloved singletrack ribbon in great shape...except for a huge washout near the bottom!

When I rode this yesterday, the washout was marked with a warning barrier off to the side of the trail, but if you come through that particular right-hand corner too hot, you're in for a rough landing.

Have fun, but slow down when you see the warning signs...the washout is no joke.

2. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Thanks for the headsup!

3. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Is *the washout* rideable? It's been like that since the last rains (not this last weekend but before that) and I'm always wondering if some of you guys ride it.

To ride it, there's a steepish uphill over to the right towards the the hillside and then a skinny line btween the hillside and the fallen slope. Hell no, would I ever try to ride past it but just curious if you experienced riders do it.

4. moment8

moment8 Member

King's Body Shop & Autocare
    The A-line is very rideable. Just went down it last Sat. The only thing is that wash out area at the end with the detour around to the rightside, no big deal.

The A-line trail is the reason I ride turnbull, if you get some speed on it --- whooyeah!:bang:

5. Hanzo

Hanzo .

I saw the ranger the other day and she said that a water line broke and she told me to go right at the 4 corner spot which takes you to Hellman Park. I went back a couple of weeks later just to see what it looked like and its rideable but Tara you're right the penalty for failure is high.

6. moment8

moment8 Member

The washout is definitely not rideable! At least 4 to 5 feet below where it should be, but the"skinnyline" to the right of it is rideable. Make sure you carry enough speed through it though

7. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist

Haha, there is a line over the washout towards the hillside. A very small line but there's been places that people ride that look worse to me. The hard part to me would be getting up and over the steepish and shortish incline to around/above the washout towards the hillside. Anyway, like I said, I was just curious if anyone has done it.

I'll take my camera next time I go.

*Please note though I haven't been there since last week so it might be even more washed out then I've last seen it and totally unrideable now*

8. moment8

moment8 Member

If you carry enough speed going into the incline around to the right, no problem. Did that last Sat.:wave:

9. elab

elab Turnbull haze

I rode that small line last weekend. it's not too bad. looks scarier than it really is. just carry some speed into the incline and that will get you around/above the washout.

looks like m8 beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  10. moment8

moment8 Member

Hey elab, what time were you riding a-line last weekend? I was trying to chase down a gold/rust color Specialized around 4:30 Sat., he was going pretty fast

11. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

The spot where the Ranger told you to turn right is SUPPOSED TO HAVE an orange/white traffic barricade in the middle of the trail.

Every time I have ridden the trail (since the slide), I have to either look for the barricade OR must pick it up (because the "wind" blew it over). :mad:

Best bet would be to simply turn right at four corners!

12. elab

elab Turnbull haze

around noon, I was riding a black Turner, had a rear wheel strapped to my camelback...

wasn't me....

13. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

:-s :?: :lol:

hey ben....what's up??? it's kam!

is a-line also know as the friend st singletrack?

about 1 month ago, someone off painter, greenleaf or something had a water line bust in the hillside behind their home. i was riding my road bike that day. they had shut down the street and the fire dept was helping with the clean up. huge mess. it even made the evening news.

oh, and last week, cow trail was gettin pretty overgrown towards the end. looks like the beginingwas too, but someone took a weed wacker to it. with this sun, the some parts of cow will be under tall grass in a few days, if not already covered.

14. elab

elab Turnbull haze

Hey Kam

On 7th Street, one of my buddies had his chain get stuck between the spokes and cassette, we couldn't get the chain out, so I rode down to Beverly to pick up his truck, then drove up to Skyline to meet him.

just family life and alot of riding.

Yup

probably doing a ride in the San Gabes on Sunday. You should join me.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Yeah I saw the ranger carrying that sign when she first put it up but I didnt see it a couple of weeks ago. Must of been in the bushes. Like you said the wind blew it over or someone moved it. All the yellow caution tape was ripped off too, so beware.