8th Annual 50 Mile Ride to be the Biggest Yet

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by genusmtbkr5, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

From past years riding I think it's urban enough you could stop at a gas station if needed. Just make sure to carry card or cash.

2. Pilas

Pilas Member

Umm...Thinking about it. I didn't realize it was this Saturday, but I was planning to do a long ride anyways. I may sign up before tomorrow's deadline. A couple of questions. Since I don't know the trails, any long climbs (1 mile +) or is everything short and steep? How far apart are the aid stations? I would prefer not to carry a camelback since it gives me back pain. Any info. would be appreciated.

3. TranceRider

TranceRider No, I don't Ride a GIANT

IT Project Manager
    All climbs pretty much less than 1 mile. You can see the elevation profile on geoladders: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=65442

First aid station is 11 miles from the start (Dove Canyon), then another 10 miles or so to Caspers aid station, then another 12 or so back to Dove Canyon...etc....so probably 10-12 miles between aid stations.

Camelbacks also give me back pain. I take 2 water bottles (drink 1 bottle per hour, I usually drink 1/4 bottle every 15 minutes, carb mix with water - I use Skratch). Depending on how fast you're going that should more than last you to each station. Each aid station has ample water and food, but I usually carry all my food anyway. I have something 45 minutes into my ride (i.e. PowerBar gel), then something small every 30 minutes after that (alternate PB gel and 1/2 bonk breaker). I also highly recommend using OSMO Preload Hydration to help keep those legs cramp free. :bang:

4. Pilas

Pilas Member

OK. Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I can top off my water bottle at the Aid stations. I can go for about an hour and a half with one large bottle. I have no problem storing the rest of the stuff in my jersey pockets.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

If not....you do go through some local city parks along the way that have drinking fountains.....so water is available in between the start and Dove Canyon.

6. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Slightly different perspective.. the climb out of Caspers all the way back to the waterfall is pretty long if you take it in one long pull and can get and has been quite hot on past ride BUT Saturday looks cool so shouldn't be bad.

7. Pilas

Pilas Member

OK. Signed for the 50 miler. Haven't done anything this long since 2007... Looking forward to some fun and hopefully not too much suffering. I'm currently reading "Land of Second Chances", so I'm happy to make a small contribution to the cause as well. I have ridden some of the trails years ago, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with the route. Is it pretty well marked on the day of the event?

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Yes and there are volunteers letting you know where to go at any junction as well.

9. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I was thinking about trying the 25 on the SS, but I'll stick to gears again this year. First three years were rigid 1x9, last year on the Spearfish. The tradeoff is that I have a frame bag on the El Mariachi so no CamelBak, but I didn't think I was quite ready for the SS, yet. I did do 22 miles on Tijeras with Bell View, but didn't do the O'neil section. That is the killer.

10. 9er

9er New Member

Metal Fabricator/Artist
    Home Page:
    And they can still use more if any of you guys are available.

http://50mr.com/volunteer/

11. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    Went out for a quick 40+miler last night with not too much elevation and will probably take a couple days rest. Been feeling kind of crummy lately but if I don't have to work late and can get some good sleep Friday night I'm going to try to make it out. It will be the first time I've ridden this event but sounds fun. From the course description there's more aid stations and places for water than on some century road rides I've done.

12. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Weather is going to make this one interesting. Hope they don't make half of it a road ride because trails are closed/muddy.

13. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    Yeah, crazy storm. The trails will either be nice and tacky or gaint mud puddles. Stay safe everyone!

On the plus side, if it is rained out, I'm free to do the ride on the rain alternate date ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. genusmtbkr5

Didn't ride or volunteer this year as I have to work later and needed to sleep in for my my shift tonight.

It rained pretty hard last night here in Mission Viejo/RSM. Glad to see the ride was still on. I'm heading out to check out the raffle in a bit then heading to work shortly after. See you all there. Look forward to all the RRs and pics.

15. genusmtbkr5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.