8th Annual 50 Mile Ride to be the Biggest Yet

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by genusmtbkr5, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Just putting the word out for Doug Grant who is the organizer for the 50 Mile Ride also known as the Rwanda Ride. Here's the info:

The 8th Annual 50 Mile Ride for Rwanda will be held on Saturday April 26, 2014 in Orange County CA. Event organizers expect over 1000 fun-loving and adventurous mountain bikers to join this year’s event. What began as a 50th birthday ride for one of the event founders has become an annual tradition for the Orange County cycling community.

Registration is now open for the 8th Annual Rwanda Ride. This year’s event will again start and finish at the Oakley World Headquarters in Foothill Ranch CA. Routes could include trails through O’Neill Park, Caspers Park, Tijeras Creek and Arroyo Trabuco. After they finish, riders and their friends and family stick around at Oakley for the post-ride party, BBQ and gourmet food trucks, live band and huge raffle prize drawing. Event sponsors have already donated over $20,000 in prizes. For more information and to register for the event, please visit www.50mileride.com . For more information about the ride’s beneficiaries, visit www.worldbicyclerelief.org and www.teamrwandacycling.org .

The Rwanda Ride appeals to advanced and novice riders alike. The event is a “ride” not a race. Event organizers have only three goals: rider fun, rider safety, and to raise lots of money for Rwandan causes. Three different route options are available: the signature 50 mile route, a shorter but still challenging 25+ mile route, and a 10 mile route suitable for casual mountain bikers. Riders participate for a lot of reasons: some for the challenge of riding further on a mountain bike than ever before, some because they love the Rwanda cause, some for the fun of sharing an epic day with their best riding buddies. To date, the ride has raised over $430,000 for Rwanda causes.

Link to photo gallery:
    http://50mr.com/gallery/50-mile-ride-seven-2013/

2. ADanFool

ADanFool New Member

Paper Boy
    I have done the event for the last 3 years. It is a great event that serves a great charity. I am wavering on this year's ride. I have yet to see any posts addressing the issues from last year's event. Specifically, the lack of shade and/or seating at Oakley & the available food at the finish.

2013's event was only a race if you wanted to get a burger before they were all gone. Maybe raffle off beach chairs & umbrellas for the post ride event?

3. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Bring your own food, chair and shade just in case? More money goes to the charity the better right?

4. templar

templar Member

Database, UNIX consultant
    The ride was great last year and Oakley venue is also very nice. But, as duke777 mentioned have to bring your own chair. It was brutal last year baking in the hot sun sitting on concrete. A cooler full of nice cold drinks is also a must.

5. .:Made in OC:.

.:Made in OC:. New Member

I plan on attending this year for my first time! It looks like a really fun event. I think ill be doing the 25mi+ ride.

6. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    I received an email from Doug Grant announcing this years event. There was specific mention of how last years event at Oakley was the first year there, and how they learned much, especially in need for food and seating. He mentioned that changes will be present this year.

7. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

The food wasn't free. You had to pay for it. I am sure a percentage of food sales went to charity. So, by bringing your own food you are giving less to charity.

Post ride sucked last year. I went to chipotle because food was gone, no cold drinks, no shade.

Even worse . . . When we got to the last aide station there was NOTHING left. We were struggling to finish and still had the climb out of O'neil and that last aide station had nothing. Not even water.

8. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I've met Doug Grant through professional circles and he seems to be a man of integrity. Like the other post said, I'm sure things are being addressed. I wasn't able to ride the event last year, so I can't speak for the conditions. I'm going to try and ride it this year. I'll bring my own chair (and maybe even an EZ-up to share, lol). I'll carry lots of water and food to try and be self sufficient as well.

9. stevemacko

stevemacko Member

There were some hiccups last year as others have pointed out, but none are a deal breaker for me. I had a great time, and I'll be out there again this year.

10. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

Last year was my first year; I did the 25 miler on my fat bike. I plan on doing the 50 this year. I agree with the above sentiments as it pertains to the post ride experience; it was a bummer. That said, I really dig what this ride is all about, so I'll do it again for sure.

11. melster

melster Member

Software
    Good thing they had bathrooms with water fountains about 200 feet away. :)

This was kind of a bummer. I was probably in the last 40% of riders getting back to that aid station, and they had nothing left. Slightly under-supplied it was.

12. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    Thanks Gene!

13. chubacabra

chubacabra Threapy Dog

Maybe someone should organize an STR Pop Up tent area with coolers and some snacks. My wife and kids do not, repeat, do not want to come with me this year as they think its boring as hell, so maybe it would be good to have a centralized STR tent area for people like me who have to come solo. :)

My daughter told me it was as if she dragged me to a Barbie doll convention for 3 hours, as for my wife, I had to take her to PF Changs for dinner..my son just got bored---a typical family that loves mtn biking

14. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    There were some unfortunate circumstances last year, but I'm sure they will be cleared up this year. I'm just hoping for cooler weather this year.

15. suicidesam

suicidesam New Member

image.jpg beer.jpg this all you need for the post ride...:)

16. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Cooler weather so you can do the 50 and then turn around and do it again?

17. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    Looking forward to the event this year. I did the 25 last year and was thinking I would give the 50 a try this year. Then I realized that was a silly idea so I'm doing the 25 again.

I know a few of the planning committee members and know they are working to address the issues that happened last year. Come on out, it will be a great experience.

18. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Calling all Slackers!

I was thinking of getting the band back together aka the SS Slackers from yesteryear.
    mandatory mellowness and general mayhem accompanied with feats of strength along the way. plus there may be adult bevies abound and throughout the ride or something like that.:drunk:

it could just happen this year......

19. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    I'll be there again...hope to volunteer again in some manner

20. scottywc

scottywc New Member

Graphic Designer
    I'm riding solo as well. Let's plan something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.