5-Spot overhaul

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by dstepper, May 1, 2006.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    In keeping with my resolution not to buy a new bike this year I have decided to overhaul the 5-Spot. It tired, has tons of thousands of miles on it, over the last 3-4 years. It still has the original un-serviced Romic shock and Maverick DUC Fork has only seen oil changes.

So the Romic gets replaced with a DHX 5 Coil and the Maverick DUC gets replaced with a 06 Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA. Years back I would not have bought this fork because of the color (white)... but things have changed I don't really care what my bike looks like...more concerned about the performance and this shock had what I want.

I need a new through axle wheel built. I was thinking of the new Hope Pro Hub, but after holding one it just does not have the feeling of quality. I have always bought King in the past but this time I am going with DT Swiss laced to a Mavic 721. I am also going to try a Hopey steering damper this time around. I know this is not a light build...this is my exploring bike and dependability wins to weight.

Besides summer is near so that means....Mammoth, Lake Tahoe, and Flagstaff. I also would enthusiastically encourage a So-Cal Trailriders roadtrip to Sherman Pass/Cannell Pluge...do you hear that Mike!

2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    What about a hope bulb for the hubs? I really like mine although haven't had them long enough to speak of the durability but so far so good.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Looked at it. It was a tossup between, Hadley, Chris King and DT Swiss.

If you put a high value on price Hope will win. I respect Tani at the Path he has never steered me wrong. The Path sees the broken stuff so they know what holds up and what doesn't.

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Mammoth, Lake Tahoe, and Flagstaff. I also would enthusiastically encourage a So-Cal Trailriders roadtrip to Sherman Pass/Cannell Pluge...do you hear that Mike!__________________
    Heard you loud and clear. Why not start a thread in the trailhead section and see what kind of response we get. This is a trip where we should have somewhere around 10 riders. It'll be a camping trip, but the place does have showers and there's food close by if you don't feel like full out camping. Last year I put together a ride from MTBR and we ended up with about 20 guys. It was a blast.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=100359

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2006