Ride Report #4 (taking my dad out for a spin)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Bryguy17, May 24, 2008.

1. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

So over the last month or so, I've slowly been talking friends and family into coming out mountain biking. First I got my brother and his fiance into it, then another of my friends, and now I finally talked my dad into coming along for a bit of a ride.

We headed out for the Fully Loop, and slowly made our way around, fiddling with adjustments, giving advice, or just taking a quick break. Since He's a bit out of shape, we decided to short cut things a little bit, and took Euclid to the train tracks, to the golf course.

on the whole, things went quite well. He had a few silly little spills here and there that weren't too much of a problem. He did, however, take a spectacular flying digger along the fence by the golf course. Just at the part where the trail is right by the edge of the course, he lost balance and went flying.

I was a little ahead of him, heard something like "oohhhaaaaahh" from behind and turned around just in time to see a flurry of limbs, bike, dirt, and foliage. I ran back to see how things were and He sat up, a little dazed, with dirt everywhere. Several of the vents on his helmet had become compacted with moist soil, and there is a fresh gaping hole in the mesh fence #-o. I'm still not sure how he managed to completely miss the more solid, waist high fence that was in front of the mesh though :-s

He ended up being mostly fine, aside from a few scratches and a bruised toe (?). And was able to ride out the rest of the trail and back home.

It was a good time, and we're looking forward to getting out a bit more in the future :)

Sorry guys, no pictures. I tend to be having too much fun to stop and take any, even on these slow newbie rides where I'm teaching people how to ride.

2. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Ahhh, grasshopper...

The circle is complete... the student has become the master.... or so it goes. Nice job bring it full circle.

3. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Next step get them on the Sunday Loop rides, I think they would enjoy them.

4. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I could probably talk my dad into going on the loop rides, at least after he's had a bit of conditioning and training. The others don't seem to want to be very social at this point in time :?: not sure why though.

OMR- I'm not sure i was ever really a student. I pretty much just followed my friend around, and figured things out for myself. I mean, he didn't point out that low tire pressure is helpful in loose, off-road situations. I was running 50 PSI in 2.35's for months before somebody pointed out that lower pressures are good

5. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Actually, grasshopper ....

We are all students of somebody.... the point here is that you are passing on the torch ... as you should... as we are never too old to learn.
    :bang:

6. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

indeed, its the truth. its nice to teach people the ropes, it reminds me how far I've actually come in just over a year of riding :beer: