3x9 to 2x9 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Broso, Jun 16, 2011.

1. cruiten

cruiten New Member

This thread caught my eye and it seem very interesting.

However, I do have a sincere question as to what the reason is behind converting from a 3x9 to a 2x9.

Thanks,

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    A few reasons (not in priority order)
    1.) To add a chain tensioner. Chain tensioners don't work with triple rings.
    2.) To add a bashguard. Bashguards are cheaper than outer chainrings and do less damage to your legs.
    3.) To shorten your chain and use a mid-cage derailleur. Crisper shifting and less chainslap.
    4.) Cool factor - all of the above scream "I'm a gravity dude(ette) - out of my way." or "I don't care how slow I'm going uphill - clearly my priorities are on the other side." (That's why I did it).
    5.) Who the hell needs 3 chainrings? If you're spinning out of 36x11, you're going downhill - tuck and enjoy.

I recently eliminated my chain tensioner and glad I did. Chainline is straighter and pedaling is noticeably crisper. Mid cage der, shorter chain and 36t "big" ring took care of most of the chainslap and related derailment. And - I have absolutely no need for 3 rings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  3. Broso

Broso Member

FF/EMT
    lol Couldn't have said it better myself. My main reason is getting rid of a ring I never use and can be painful when it bites ya.

I actually went with the BBG Bash, 34 ring, Stinger guide, and an XT med cage.

You do have me second thinking the guide...but I bought it so it's going on just to make me feel like I didn't waste my dough. At least I'll have piece of mind while cursing the hillsides.

4. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Sounds like a good mix. You'll enjoy it. Keep an eye on the bearings on the stinger. My "Mountain Speed" tensioner bearings froze up a few times. Keep us posted on your riding impressions.

5. RumbleOn

RumbleOn New Member

I am running 22/33/BG on my 29er. I shortened the chain, it makes a huge difference in lessening chain slap. I am running a long cage RD and 12-36 cassette. The chain does jump off occasionally if I am going downhill aggressively with the chain in the little ring. No rubbing problems with the BG and I have no desire to go back to a 3 ring setup.

6. Broso

Broso Member

FF/EMT
    Will do, and will do thanks for the input!

7. strobe

strobe resident noob

Not much says slow like trying to climb on a 45lb downhill rig except for having to stop your downhill run because your chain is wedged between your crank and bottom bracket. Part of my reason to try out 2x9 is to add the chain tensioner. This way i can keep it on the small ring during the downhill sections and it'll be ready to grind up as soon as the uphill starts. And the current build will be a carbon frame. Chain+Carbon+BB= ChainSaw8-[.

Disclaimer: this is only my theory since most ppl riding 45lb downhill rigs can still climb faster than i can on my 28lb hard tail. And these same folks would consider my downhill as an uphill section.

8. dirt mcgirt

dirt mcgirt New Member

Just got back from my first ride with the new 2x9 crank. Lots of chainslap. I'm ordering the Stinger now.

9. Broso

Broso Member

FF/EMT
    I Also rode my 2x9 setup for the first time today in Wrightwood (super fun singletrack section). I was very pleased! little to no noticeable chain slap and crisp shifting. I did find myself out pedaling the largest gear on some of the fire road downhill sections but at that point I really didn't need to be going any faster, stopped a tree dead in it's tracks with my shoulder...lol and nearly went over the side of a 50-75ft down grade. My overall impression is it was a great decision. Here is a pic of my setup.
    [​IMG]

10. strobe

strobe resident noob

What size mid ring do you have that you out pedaled? Did you do any downhill while in your small ring? Did it drop the chain?

Looks clean btw.

11. Broso

Broso Member

FF/EMT
    It's still the original 32 my 34 hasn't come in yet but honestly I don't think I really needed to order the 34. I was really moving when the pedaling got easy and only on the open roads not singletrack. It didn't effect my riding or leave me wanting, I was trying to push it and see what range I had.

Thanks man.