38 mile Fullerton Loop.....attempt

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Grego, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Well another 38 in the books. Driffter33 and Vinosteep joined Vincent and I this time around. Armed with Slime and Stan's tire sealantes we set off to ride at 9:00am. Weather wise, we couldn't have picked a better day. The sun really never even came out. We were saying "Good morning" to people in the afternoon without realizing it. I forgot how long this course was. 14 miles in puts us back on the normal loop around the 2 mile marker. We continued on. About 2/3 in, Vino had to bail and he couldn't have picked a better time. After saying goodbye, we did the Lucy Von Der Hoff loop and found around 30 thorns in each of our tires. Driffter33 and I still ended up with a flat. Repaired the flats then finished the rest of the route without any other incidents. What a workout. Vincent's odometer was at 40 miles. I guess he did a little more extra credit. Driffter33 actually rode to this ride from his house and had a 52 miler. Good times!

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

2. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    Good work, guys. You're all insane btw.

3. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    Nice Picture going up sally pekarek.

Question: what is over the second climb of that hill? Where does it go? I just turn back and enjoy going down the two hills.

4. cateck

cateck New Member

Auto Mechanic
    I don't know what to say. You're animals.

5. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

Greg did you end up some trails behind the lake over to Walmart? Also trails to Euclid behind the all the horse stables that is a fun part. Not too many people know about them.

6. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Another great ride in the books! I was for sure a perfect day for our 2nd tour de Fullerton. Good to meet vinosteep and drool over his sweet Carbine 650b.

A big shout out to Grego and Vincent, thanks for another great day of riding!

So as for the thorn section :-( stans is the sxxt! I did get a flat how ever I learned something also. So we stopped and pulled many many thorns from the tires. I pulled most out of the rear tire and a few from the front then just took off. Well the rear wet flat andwhile changing the rear added a bit of air to the front. Good to go, however on my ride from the courthouse back home I got another flat in the back. This time it was glass at euclid and the train tracks. Patched it up and away I go. Sunday morning I get up go out and pulled 11 yes 11 more thorns from the front tire with 8 of them leaking making wet spots of stans. I just kept sinning the tire and getting ready for my ride. Then topped off the air in the front and took off to turnbull for a 30.5 mile ride. So don't pull the thorns just ride and let stans work!

Back on topic this is a great ride to see most of fullerton and all that it has to offer the biking community. Way to go Fullerton!

7. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    We ride up then left to Emery Park. Link some sidewalks through the neighborhood then out to the Pioneer Trail. http://www.cityoffullerton.com/depts/parks_n_recreation/find_a_trail/sally_pekarek_trail.asp

Oh yeah we covered them. Thanks.

Thanks for joining us for a second year. Always good times riding with you.

8. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Here are the 2 pics I got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

I always like you in green it matches your eyes!

10. vinosteep

vinosteep aztec

factory
    I was just amazed that we were all over hidden,secret, unknown bike trails and all of the sudden we were back to the regular loop trail. To bad I was not able to complete the complete course. It was nice riding with Grego, Vincent and Mike.
    Vincent you are my hero, you are always on the look out for some technical action and for yuur age yuo are a very strong rider already ...

11. boyfester

boyfester New Member

Engineer
    Thanks for this awesome post even if it is almost 2 years old. I consistently ride Horse Alley because of this posting. I and all of my riding buddies never knew it existed. I have a question. Last week I rode portions of your "westside" route (Malvern, Emery Park, urban jungle, etc.) and I reached a section of the trail where the trail was fenced off. It was after riding on the concrete path adjacent to the golf course (see your pictures below). This concrete path just ends (near cul-de-sac of Camden Place) and I can see the horse trail on the other side along W. Pioneer Avenue. I had to back track to where Sunny Ridge becomes W. Pioneer Ave. Is there any way to avoid this? Thanks!

12. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    No way to avoid the fence. What we do is to make a right on Burning Tree and take the sidewalk chute down. Then back into Emery park at the west entrance.

15b.jpg

13. Bruce in SoCal

Bruce in SoCal Member

Lawyer (semi-retired)
    I had my first experience on the Fullerton loop on Sunday. I only did a short segment of it because I started late and it got too hot, but WOW!!! I can't wait to do it again.

14. boyfester

boyfester New Member

Engineer
    Thanks! That wall ride looks cool! I'm going to try it again tomorrow night. Should be interesting in the dark.

15. boyfester

boyfester New Member

Engineer
    Definitely a fan of the westside of Fullerton now. I took a wrong turn yesterday and went south of Franklin Hills at Emery Park and hit the ivy-covered tunnel before realizing I was off your track.

IMG_9833.jpg

The golf course view was cool too.

IMG_9834.jpg

So where do all of the thorns come from? What section of the trails are thorn-filled? Is it the RR tracks, path adjacent to Malvern, trail just before Emery Park? I ended up with 18 thorns in my front tire. There were none sticking in my newer rear tire with better sidewall protection.