38 mile Fullerton Loop.....attempt

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Grego, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Living in Fullerton has a benefit. I get to frequently ride the loop with the extra credit and it's just minutes from my driveway. That said, I have many variations with the lastest, my favorite the 38 miler. No, its not an epic MTB ride but a fun ride throughout Fullerton. 26 miles of dirt and yes unfortunately 12 miles of pavement. Minimum double tracking and for the most part stays off of city streets. Alot of pavement is sidewalk passageways. You have to be a little off your rocker to enjoy this route but hey thats me. 38 miles = 1 lap. Set out to do this a couple weeks ago. Vincent joined as usual. I'll try my best to walk you through.

Traditionally we started at the courthouse. We'll pass the left into Hiltscher Park then make a left to Horse Alley, out from under Bastanchury, RR tracks north to the bridge and down Morelia back to Hiltscher Park for a 3 mile extra loop right off the bat. Watch for fainting goats.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Hiltscher, we added a 6 mile loop through southwest Fullerton. A neighborhood detour leads to a trail to the RR tracks (different than before) south then over to Emery Park.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up a ditch...
    [​IMG]

...to my favorite part. Urban HAB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on dirt for a short time.
    [​IMG]

This wasn't part of the plan, but had to let the kid have some fun. Notice the front tire going flat.
    [​IMG]

Torwards McDermont Park. More concrete but at least its nice looking concrete.

[​IMG]

BTW, Vincents Hotrock weighs in at 27 lbs. LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on the normal loop at Parks and out to Tree Park. Here there are a few paths to take. Pick one for now and we'll return shortly for another choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of laps around Coyote Hills Park just for fun. Then another passageway back to Tree Park for the other choice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next part is quite popular. The water tank out and back (along Rosecrans) for another 3 mile extra.
    [​IMG]

View from the lookout near the water tank. Santiago Peak in the distance. Sorry no picture of the tank, it's not as beautiful as Turnbull.

[​IMG]

After the tank we're back on the normal loop starting the climbs at the fire station. 20 miles.

more to follow......

2. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    As I mentioned, this was an attempt. Due to multiple flat tires, we had to call it quits. Tires going down and no tubes left. Damn thorns. I'm really not sure how much farther Vincent could have gone anyway. But we returned on day two to complete this course. Started out at the 18 mile mark, up the climbs and over to the lake. After the lake, instead of a right , we make a left for a 1.3 mile loop thats mostly dirt. Sorry no pic. Then back to the Juanita Cooke trail south, to the bridge, and RR tracks as usual. We continued straight on the tracks instead of going directly to the golf course for an out and back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the tunnels we make a right to the gap jumps and the trails on the other side of the creek. This would be right around the 27 mile marker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't shake the camera when taking a picture. Kids.
    [​IMG]

Link all the trails together at the Brea dam then head out to the Panorama view loop for a 4 mile loop.
    [​IMG]

Before completing that loop we head out to Craig Park and the Fullerton dam for 4 more additional miles. Damn!
    [​IMG]

Fullerton dam
    [​IMG]

Back on Panorama.
    [​IMG]

A few more hidden trails in the Brea dam. Yeah, theres a trail here.
    [​IMG]

Brea dam, finally.
    [​IMG]

And over to the courthouse. Thats the 38 miler. Freaking huge! Now I've got to complete this in one shot. Probably go for it this saturday. I need to get this monkey off my back sooner than later. And of course your welcome to join in. Thanks for reading. "Must Ride".

3. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

Thanks for posting!!That is very close to my normal ride. Did you say Saturday? Oh and I do not ride that little singletrack from the oil rigs in the dam area since my legs healed up, lol. Thorn city.

4. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    A lot of my trail diversions are in your Super Loop. The view from Panorama was fantastic on Sunday. I'd love to go with you but I'm leading our troop on a 15-miler for their cycling merit badge. I think it might be time for Vincent to get a tubeless setup??

5. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    How do you get to the water tower out-n-back (3 miles)?

Nice RR Grego, enjoyed it!

shitty

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  6. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

nice grego! people were talking of a huge drop somewhere do you know where that is? i also need to find those stiffy goats...my wife would love to see them

7. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

When you are on Rosecrans at the Fire station, continue straight on Rosecrans rather than turning at Castlewood trail. Stay on the sidewalk (there's a little singletrack if you turn into that gravel entry). Just past the baseball fields, trail is on your right. It's across Rosecrans from Clark park. Best climb of the loop, at least I think.

8. vandyketom

vandyketom New Member

Sweet ride for being in town.
    That Vincent is going to be Tinker Juarez one day!

9. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    kool storie bro. i hav a 100 myle vurzion that i ryde evereeday!

10. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    yeah saturday. are you in? I'm thinking courthouse 9:00

Yes, come ride the 38 and I'll show you.

11. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    Grego, awesome ride report as always. I might have to try this one day instead of just doing the loop 3 times like usual. You wouldn't happen to have a gps route of this?

Also, where is Panorama at? Is that across from the Summit House?

12. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Sorry no gps. I'm so behind in the times.

The Summit House loop is the Panorama loop.

13. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

i really wish I could but something has come up. If I do ride, it'll be early.I'll catch you next time.Thanks

14. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Great RR Grego! I might be in. I was planning an earlier ride but we'll see 9 might work out just right. If I make it I will map it.

15. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Cool!

16. driffter33

driffter33 Member

This is a must ride, if you live or ride in Fullerton! Thank You Grego this had to take some work to put together! Way to rock the whole ride Vincent! This 10 Year Old Rocks! Thanks Again!

17. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    nice post and pictures!!
    would there be a possibility to integrate the Sally Pekarek trail in this 38 mile fullerton loop? since you have a picture of the trail by amerige height town center?

18. SUNDANCE KID

SUNDANCE KID STR Veteran

R&D
    Nice! Similar to our old loop but more of it is “Developed” these days. I’d love to ride it with you someday if I come back to Fullerton.
    :bang:

19. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    Thanks for joining us on such a short notice driffter33. It was a pleasure riding with you again. Glad to hear you had a good time. "The Brea Dam is in Fullerton and the Fullerton Dam is damn near in Brea".

Wow. We started at the courthouse and kept a moderate pace. No hurry, It's a long ride. Full camelback of water, powerbars and tubes. This time I know where the thorn patches are. HAB over the first patch with no problems, the beggining of the Sally Pekarek trail. Stayed the course. View from the watertank.
    [​IMG]

Driffter33 smiles the entire ride. The second thorn patch got him though. I guess that's the 38's initiation, sorry. We had to edit out the rest of the 1.3 mile section, the Lucy Von Der Hoff trail, pictuerd below.

[​IMG]

Out of water and the sun beating down on us climbing out of Craig Park. Thinking of detouring to a store but that would take up more time and we were getting tired. Vincent laying on his bars. 32 miles.
    [​IMG]

Really? Did this just happen? Back on Panorama an angel from above stopped right in front of us (because she dropped something) with a golfcart loaded full of icewater, gatorade, sodas and all the juices. Unbelievable!
    [​IMG]

Vincent sets a new distance record with just over 37 miles. I'm blown away. No longer an attempt. We're gonna have to do this again soon. Good times.

20. tandem

tandem New Member

Awesome ride and ride report Grego! I'll join you on one of those 38 milers as soon as I get my riding legs back.