Ride Report 3 Weeks and muscle relaxers...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Aug 31, 2013.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Wow - just - wow, OMG - Holy Cow...

After three weeks of back recovery through muscle relaxants, pain killers, anti-inflammatories, alcohol, large doses of Disney Jr. with my daughter, overeating and not exercising, I finally got to go for a ride today.

And, for the first time in my life, I had to stop while climbing Cholla due to exhaustion. Not even 24x36 could save me. I don't know what to say. I felt like I had the flu. Somehow, I think the toxins in my body might have had something to do with it.

I was on a mission to test my refreshed Marzocchi 55 (report coming in an upcoming thread), so I had to get to the best fork testing ground - Rock-It. I did, and I had a great run down Rock-It, but I was exhausted at the bottom - of a 3 minute downhill.

I had to try again, so I headed back to Cholla to go try Lynx. This time, I manage to stay on board and moving forward from the bottom of Rock-It, back to Cholla. Slow and steady in 24x32 did the trick, and perhaps the Clif bar helped too. I kept going up to the top of Rock-It, turned around and headed for Lynx.

Great run down Lynx (although I had to stop midway as I was about to overtake two very sketchy riders), then out Coyote and back to the car. It wasn't particularly hot, but it was very humid. Oh yes, and there were 3000 high school XC runners out there, and a group of 20 or so riders from The Path.

So, let's sum up. Don't do drugs kids, your riding will suffer.

Back feels good though, so I will give it a go tomorrow too. Don't worry, I won't write another mundane RR.

2. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    The heat and humidity didn't help you. Don't over do it--no relapses. Your doctor has spoken, lol.

3. jdgrimes

jdgrimes that's right!

Editor
    yea buddy DO NOT RELAPSE! I want to ride so bad...I still have months of recovery ahead.

4. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Good to see you're back at it. I hear it takes old guys 3 times longer to get strength back as it does to lose it ;) (but the humidity was pretty brutal this morning)

5. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Amazing how quick the fitness goes away, hopefully it won't take so long to get it back. Good to see you're back riding again Chris...and your RR's are much better than mine! Like the road trip last weekend up to Demo Forest and some Santa Cruz single track, then to Laguna Seca (3rd weekend in a row) cause one of the guys had never been, blah, blah, blah...(my RR suck)

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Aww...I almost feel sorry for you...I barely make it up Cholla e every time I climb it!!

Happy you got out today......

7. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    You're just jealous because you didn't get to stay here and ride locally! BTW, that sounds like a great trip. Hit us with a real RR no matter how boring. Throw in a gratuitous picture of a tree, trail, bike or sports illustrated swimsuit model.

8. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

you're a g-dam sandbagger!#-o

9. me and my bike

me and my bike New Member

man of many trades
    STR- Socal Trail Retiree's ;)

10. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Hate to post this up, cause it makes it look like Mo knows something...,but I don't have a camera or smartphone so I don't have any pictures to share. It was a last minute trip kinda thing with only the destination known...everything else was just winging it. All I can say is if anyone wants a awesome place to ride, go up Santa Cruz way...you'll never want to come back.

11. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Sorry I didn't recognize you. I think the only other time we met we were both wearing helmets and glasses. We chatted in the parking lot after the ride. Now that you're no longer popping pills and are back on the bike, all will be well.

12. Got any extra pills?....Muhahahahahahaha

13. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

yeah send the extra pills my way. I need some more go fast pills

14. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I don't have any left, Mr. Raptor...

I did get in another ride today with Big Mo. We did some El Morro, LCWP stuff. I barely made it back to my car before toppling over in complete exhaustion after what I would estimate was maybe 2200' of climbing. Pathetic - but great fun to be back out there. Mo is a completely different rider than the last time I rode with him a couple months ago. Playfully popping off everything, charging drops and rock gardens...good stuff.

If my back holds out, it's surf day tomorrow. SOOOOOO good to be active again.

:beer:

15. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

LOL Chris, this is me every time out...

16. patrick ire

patrick ire New Member

Mechanic not on your bike
    I have reacuring back problems and I think the drugs affect recovery in a bad way. May be needed for the end result. Ride on and thank you for the report.

17. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Chris - how was your surf session, were you able to get out?? I'm going out tomorrow; I rode today....my head hurts now.

18. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Hertz, I'm sure you'll feel a lot better when this midwest-style humidity wave is over. 3 weeks is a long time to be off the bike, but I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly.

Rode with him today at Aliso...he was pinned! Must be because he finally ditched the wagon wheels and got a real bike ;)

19. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    The natural relationship between discretion and valor suggested a day of recovery. Back was stiff when I awoke, and my legs needed some time off too - so it was a lazy morning followed by a beach day with my daughter. Not too shabby. I'll hit the trails or surf this weekend for sure, as my back feels great today and the day off paid off.

:bang: