29er Tire Combos/Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by BrewMaster, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Burner

Burner WAWE

you can rip a sidewall on any tire, and you can rip the sidewall very easily on a XR, speaking from experience.

I'm not sure when they came out with a 'new' XR or what's new about it. All things being equal, with only a difference in tread design, I'd still prefer the captain.

The XR rear is not a horrible tire, but I wouldn't buy one again.

2. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

No debate

Not debating the two tires.............:wave::)

knock knock on wood I have had good luck not ripping sidewalls on tires.....

3. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

First ride on the XR resulted in a slashed sidewall for me too....

4. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

XR's

Just got back from a ride on the XR's. Sidewalls held up great:bang:;)

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Never tried the XR, but if you aren't racing, the Captain is a great rear tire IMO.

It tracks well and isn't super heavy.

Edit: I've got mine on the Canzo (regular Captain). I like it a lot for trail riding. I haven't been running a long time, but it's been great.

I've been wanting to try a Crossmark, and Justin needs the Captain on something (I forget, Niner, maybe?) so I will be borrowing Jeff's Crossmark up in Dville. Kinda makes me nervous since I don't think it's as aggressive/good with traction as the Captain. But, it'll be all fun and games until I crash on Big Boulder :lol:

6. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

captain s-work? or normal captain?

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Normal. Justin just said, "The S-Works Captain is sick light, though."

It is.

If you are worried about tearing sidewalls, you'd probably do it with this tire (IMO).

8. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

cool thanks i was staring at both today trying to justify the added cost of the s-works version for gram savings...i'd rather loose some LBS off my gut :)

9. Burner

Burner WAWE

my cap'ns are sworks and all good

10. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

so i plan to run my rampage in front with a karma in the rear....

just bought a karma... looks like a wider spaced nevegal. Should roll faster... but hook up a tad less.

11. patkel

patkel STR

Rampage front and Maxis Crossmark rear. I had a captains on the rear then switched to the Crossmark for a faster rolling tire.

12. SnookDawg

SnookDawg cookie monsta

Panaracer Rampage & Conti Mtn King 2.4

I have 4 rides including 2 25+ mile rides on this combo, Rampage in front, Mtn King in the back.

Rampage: Good front tire for SoCal dry-weather conditions. Works great on sand, rock, gravel, hard-pack and loose dirt. Seems like it rolls a little better than a Nevegal, with similar grip. Overall I like this tire and think it will be a good rear tire too.

Mtn King 2.4: This tire rolls fine on hard-pack, sand and loose dirt, but really suffers in loose rock or gravel. Unfortunately a lot of the climbs I take include loose rock and it is impossible to get out of the saddle on steeper grades with this tire on the rear of my RIP9. It does rail the corners fine in bermed out loose-dirt conditions, and I think this tire will be great in the winter when the trails are tacky. I like this tire for single track where there is not a lot of climbing, and it is probably a good bet for trips to moist climates like the Pacific Northwest.

I think my next combo will be the Rampage out back and a Nev up front - should be the killer combo from what I have gathered so far...

13. JOx2

JOx2 Active Member

Captain S Works

+1, that is why i got a tire boot in it right now. idk how i got the tear but it didnt cause any flat, i just found it the next day when im about to clean the bike. The normal Captain will be just as fine. I have both and can't really tell the difference.

14. SIK SD

SIK SD powered by natural gas

I have really been enjoying my new 2.1 small block 8's on my Karate Monkey SS 29er. IM extremely HO they are super.

15. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i sliced the sidewall on a regular captain tire... i went out and bought another one :bang:

might just find a patch or something and use it as a back up

16. krankensteine

krankensteine New Member

Schwalble and Continental

I run Mountain Kings on my single speed. Good traction in most conditions. Running them tubeless with a home brew sealant. There is a small amount of sidewall leakage but worth the trade off.

Have Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 on the front and Little Albert 2.1 on the rear of my Sultan. Probably the best tires I have found. Performance is great. Work perfectly tubeless with the home brew.

17. Mike.the.Spike

Mike.the.Spike Member

I just ran a set of the Bontrager Jones ACX 2.2's and loved them. Stick like glue and pretty lightweight. I ran them until the tread was just about gone. Rubber compound was soft and grippy but wore out fast I thought.

It was time for some new tires and like many of you, I was still curious about other 29er tires. So a couple of weeks ago I bought two Kenda Nevegals 2.2's and have been riding them almost every day since I bought them. I love these also. They are a tad heavier and a tad wider than the Bontragers and the rubber is a harder compound. Makes the tire kinda roll smoother to me but maybe I'm nuts.

If I'm stuck on an island and can only take one tire for the rest of my life, I think I'd take the Nevegals.

Hope this helps.

18. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    I got sick and tired of tearing tires (both tread and sidewall), so I got a set of the new Spec. Captain armadillo elite 2bliss and they seem to be the answer to my problems so far. Been on them for the last 100 miles or so and showing no bad signs as of yet. The casing is so much stiffer that I'm running them with 25psi front and 28psi rear and it's been great! definitely would reccomend these to people who ride in rocky terrain.

I'm running the 2.2 size just for reference. These tend to run a little narrower than the control version in the same size.

19. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
    I recently posted info in the tire thread about the CST Cabellaro and the Maxxis Ardent.

The Ardent is my go to tire for all terrain until we get the Aspen in a 29x2.25.

20. SIK SD

SIK SD powered by natural gas

Spring-Summer 29er SS Tires?

So now that the ground is drying out again and back comes SoCal loose over hard pack that we all love so much I find myself in the same situation I was in last year.

Help please...

I really like the SmallBlock8 on my 29er SS's as a rear tire, fast, light, but i have not found a front tire that i like as much, I want good rolling, descent weight, but aggressive enough enough to bite and not float...

What are you guys using that you really like? Thanks