Race Report 24hrs of Adrenalin/Hurkey Creek (Merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by agisguy, Sep 19, 2010.

1. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    First off, thanks to all those that gave up hours of their day to help out.

My team selected/railroaded me into riding the first lap. I generaly like to hang alone on climbs and do my own pace. But I was mixed up in a very strage group around 30th going up the first climb. I had impatient fast guys behind me, weekend warriors stumbling over silly stuff in front of me, and me on a SS just trying to stay upright in the chaos (note to self: run faster next time to avoid this mess).

I was 5th in line going down the Exfoliator for the first time. the guy leading the train was in WAAAAYYY over his head, and cartwheeled about 10 turns down, This was after everyone in line had been yelling "move over" for the past 9 turns. Anyway, he took someone else out with him (anyone on here??). After that it was smooth sailing all the way back to camp.

I hate the heat and could not wait for nite to roll around. Then I realized "it's F'n cold out here", when is that sun going to come up?

Well, I pulled my wieght on the 5 man team and had fun. I rode a different bike every lap, because I'm goofy that way. My fastest lap was on my 20 yr. bike that my wife got off of Craigs list for free over the summer. It's just classic to pass someone on a $5000 carbon bike on that thing, and have them get blinded by the reflectors that are still on it.

I love Hurkey, but it may be time for a route change.

2. des

des big kahuna

It sounds like you were on blazing saddles. If so i heard you did awesome! I am Jef J bro in law.

3. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    Yep, Yep. I'm just glad they had cool bikes to loan out to a broke/married with kids guy like me.

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I think I was somewhere in that group, but pulled ahead through the meadow.

There was a big group with a guy in a green jersey slowing everyone down and some out of shape guy who thought he was fast yelling at him several people back (saying "come on green," or something along those lines). I ended up with 2 other guys and we played around roadie style the whole lap, one of the guys was from Fullerton bikes I think.

Anyways, nobody was on the ground on Exfoliator when I went by and I finished the lap in like 50 minutes. There was a little scuffle that I saw on the first little decent when you are still along side the road. I saw 2 guys down. One of the guys looked like he just came off the streets of LA (chollo looking type of guy) and he was down.

Very fun race. Anyone have pictures of the 2 person awards?

5. Royster71

Royster71 Member

Manager @ Costco
    It was such a treat seeing you on the first climb @ Hurkey. You are such a happy spirit. I'm not going to compare it to seeing bikini girl at Rim, but I found out who is cool as shit on a over 30 pound bike! Hope to ride with you soon and thanks for all your help! That pic kicks ass thanks for being there and hope to ride with you soon! thanks!

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I've always have had a blast doing the 24HOA but their prices got way to high for me so I haven't been out to one of their races in years. Last time I just volunteered and like Darin I had just as much fun doing that as racing. If they ever bring the pricing back to being competitive then I'll give it another go.

Congrats to all the racers.

7. La Flama

La Flama QOM

24hrs pictures?

Congratulations to everybody that did the race. Does anyone know the name or website of the photographer?

8. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    www.michaelkelly.smugmug.com

9. DirtyGirlMonkey9

DirtyGirlMonkey9 New Member

Hey All - I took several photos on Sunday morning @ 24 Hours of Adrenaline last week. They are a lil grainy bc I didn't put the shade on(sorry my photoag skills are pretty newbie LOL), but I took pictures of everyone that went by me. I used the rapid fire setting, so there are several pics good and bad. I put them on photobucket and attached the link below: http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae234/HMH9/24 Hours of Adrenaline September 18th 2010/

Let me know if you have any issues viewing or need me to email you photos. Feel free to forward this on to anyone who was there. :)

10. nekit

nekit New Member

Software Developer
    Bike racing is sooo much easier than writing. It took a while, but my 24 solo race report is finally out:

http://trouperacingco.com/first-pancake-is-always-lumpy

I would like to say Thank You to all STR peeps out there who raced themselves or yelled, cheered and supported others. Each and every cheer helped a lot!

Darin, special thanks goes to you! While we were endurance racing, you were endurance volunteering - 2 back to back night shifts! It was special treat to see you at the top of Keen climb on every night lap!

11. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    Nice race report Mykyta! I'm glad I was there to share the moment with you, certainly something very special and inspiring. I admire your courage, spirit and appreciation for your team. :clap::clap::clap:

12. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I have to give Darin a BIG thanks. It seems that he was the only photog to actually get a pic of me--next time I'll have to go out for more laps or something ;)

13. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    Ah bikini girl. Remember her well. I think that's the only time every climbing that trail that it actually felt worth it.

14. lizardking

lizardking Lets just ride!

Printing
    Home Page:
    I took a few pics. I was only there from about 5pm till 10 or 11pm so I didn't get as much as I did last year. Check 'em out :wave:

www.cleghornphotography.com

_MG_3861 copy.jpg _MG_3871 copy.jpg _MG_3853 copy.jpg _MG_3984 copy.jpg _MG_4012 copy.jpg _MG_3903 copy.jpg