24hrs of Adrenalin - Hurkey Creek #2 9/16/06

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Murmur, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    Here we go again - another 24 hr. event. This time, I'm doing it as part of a two-man team. That's a big step from a 5 man squad. Anyone else planning on doing this one? It's a great course. The Fall is supposedly much more competitive than the Spring. Sign up you Sallies.[-(

2. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    I'll be there this year riding solo #-o

3. marsjourneyer

marsjourneyer New Member

Hopefully

I plan on being part of a 5 man team this year. Just have to see if knees will be good by then.

4. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Maybe I'll go watch...wait, I wanna ride up in that area! I won't be doing the race though.

5. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I'm a definite maybe.:confused:

6. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I should be on a 5 Person Team, unless we can dig up a few other women for an all girls team.

:)

7. RIDE 2 LIVE

RIDE 2 LIVE fritz the dog

SELF EMPLOYED
    $300.00 for solo entry? what the heck. thats why i dont race that venue. i dont think im cheep?

8. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    No you're not cheap. That's way to much.I don't know why 24HOA is always in such bad financial shape. I think they put on a decent venue, but as the years go on they become less and less customer friendly.They are starting to look at their customers as a source of work instead of a source of income, but that's just my opinion.

I'd like to try the solo catagory too, but maybe for half the price.

9. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    Lots of solo folks - that's great. Someday I'll do one of these solo - seriously, I want to try it. The expense is brutal compared to the other local stuff we've got here - but I love that venue and I think they do a good job. Has anyone done any of these 100mile events like the ones in Brian Head or Park City? That's another on my "to do" list.

Has anyone ever done a 2-man in a 24hr event? What's the best strategy as far as laps go? Does it completely depend on what the situation is? i.e. alternate laps if you're still in it...etc. Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  10. Juliius

Juliius New Member

mortgage, real estate broker
    Yo, I've raced this venue 4 times in the past couple of years. 24 Hour events are great fun - but they aren't cheap. I'd not say 24HOA is any different than anyone else regarding price ... but their conduct, especially in response to two things kind of wore me out - so, I'm off to do other stuff.

1st, they are VERY sensitive to the topic of their SOLO fee being unreasonable, unfair or otherwise just plain too much (you can google "Stuart, 24HOA, SOLO" come up with the drama).

2nd, they relentlessly remind you at every turn that they were sued and driven into bankruptcy over the use of the term 24 Hours of ________ (fill in the blank). They then continue to remind you that they are the nice guys - all about sport and give you some nice anecdotes to prove their point.

I think I'd rather just go up to Hurkey with some friends and ride all day without the whining - it doesn't help that Ellsworth happens to have the most snobbish demo crew I've ever met ... sadly, they sort of fit in.

Anyway, maybe I'll come and watch ... definitely can't take anything away from you guys riding the event - props to the riders ... that's what it's all about!!

11. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Hey Mike,

I can't say the same thing about the Ellsworth guys. The demo crew out there last year was a bike shop out of Murrietta. They were pretty nice to me and gave me some deals on parts...of course, I have to admit, I own an Ellsworth.

12. Juliius

Juliius New Member

mortgage, real estate broker
    I'm totally open to the idea that I ran into the wrong group of guys on my last outing or two - or maybe it was just that they were totally swamped with all kinds of requests from all kinds of people all at once for 48 hours non-stop!

Either way though - the looks of utter disdain from one of the guys when I started to throw a water bottle cage and seat sac on one of the demos in lieu of hauling my camelback through the course was unforgettable ... nearly as much as him saying "d00d, why don't you get a camelback or something - these things are like old school" sheeyah - thanks!
    My opinion of the crew didn't improve when halfway through the course the chain broke - yes, BROKE! in the middle of my last lap - grrr! Finally, when I pulled in and told them I had to remove a link from the chain because it broke I got a very non-plussed "oh" - and that was it "here's your license back, cya"

So, yeah, I guess I shouldn't've been riding a demo bike anyway - riding your own stuff is the way to go. The course was extremely muddy and by my 5th lap - I got tired of cleaning my bike and thought I'd try out a Truth. Too bad I had such a poor experience - the bike actually rode really nicely. Sorry to spread bitterness ... I'm not an Ellsworth hater - just got a little ruffled by my run-ins with the folk.

me and my ventana will get over it... :)

btw Sprocket - The Plunge was awesome ... thanks for the ticket - I'll definitely try to hook up with you guys again in October!

13. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    im a definate maybe.........

mechanicly speaking of course! :?:

14. erider

erider New Member

:confused: "old school"? I have a water cage on my truth that I sometimes use. Usually go with the camelback. But I dont blame you. With a comment like that, I'd drop those chumps too and their bikes. Except, the truth is the best bike I have ridden.

15. RIDE 2 LIVE

SELF EMPLOYED
    IS there a slite chance that the AVERAGE HOMEBOYS is gonna show up for the 24hrs @hurkey creek. there is NO way the conditions could be any worse than the last gig! lets go guys, should be just as FUN as the 24hrs of inferno. im on a four man team, guys from INCYCLE. beer and mntbikes for 24hrs! lets go! get the ball rollin u guys! $125.00 per dude.

16. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

I'm really thinking about this gig foo sure!! CC, Dirty, Shannon, :bang: u all wanna team up?:beer:

17. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
  18. RIDE 2 LIVE

SELF EMPLOYED
    no?

no,](*,) what?

19. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

I think he's going SOLO!!:lol:

20. RIDE 2 LIVE