24 hours of OC???

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Pain Freak, Jun 4, 2006.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Ya did great Matt. This is not a easy accomplishment.:clap::clap:

Remember for the next time........because you know you are going to do this again. You may not think so now......but in a few days or weeks, you will bethinking to yourself......I gotta do this again, but more laps the next time.:confused::confused:

Oh, yeah.....one other thing. Apply chamois butter before the race. Re-apply every couple of hours. Bring more than 1 pair of shorts, you need to be able to put on a pair of shorts with a dry chamois.[-X

YOu have learned many good lessons for the next time.:bang:

mtnbikej

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    That's right, one by the calendar the other by Norba. Thanks for the compliments.

Shout! I borrowed a tire lever from Team 72 (or 76?) when I flatted on the trail. If you're this board send me your address. Hi back to the crossing guards who knew me, I was already too brain-fried to reply.

3. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Team 72 was us "average homeboys" so if it was one of us I'm sure they'll read this. ;) BTW: good job out there!

4. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Here is my late post on my 24 SOLO experience write-up.

Before the event I was trying to come up with different strategies to the play the game by. Sleep all night, the through the day. Ride 3 laps, rest, repeat.. and so on. Turned out the best way to is to play by ear and listen to your body (or ass), just keep reading... I did 3 day laps on Saturday. By my third lap I was exhausted to the point where I wasnt even sweating anymore. Almost threw up and Gonzo caght me walking the bike up hill. After that miserably lap, I chilled with at 'Da Playaz Club' with the Homeboys till night tell. Got the lights ready and took off with John around 7:45. (first night ride every BTW). I had about 4 great night laps then was getting hungy and very lathargic. Chris the WS director bb'q me 2 hamburgers around 2:00am. They were gone before I said thank you. Chilled for about a half hour then went back out.
    Thought I was feeling good untill I hit the first big climb. My stomach was cramping and my body was toast. About this time the 'ass factor' was kicking me in the ass, literally. very umcomfortable. I think I took small sips from my camelback on this lap. I couldnt get anything down. The hamburgers were damn good but I paid the price.

After that lap I took a shower and crashed in the front of the fire pit with just a towel under me. I was too tired to care. Slept for about hour and half.

Around 5:15 the cold and the chirping birds woke me up. I tried to go back to sleep but couldnt so I told myself a mise will get on the bike. Whiped out a fresh pair of lycra and went out. This was a really good lap for me. Light enough for no lights but still no sun. Cranked out a couple more laps till about 8:30 then I was toast due to heat and 'ass-factor'.

Overall I did 11 laps. Again thanx to the STR supporters, Chore Chiro for working on my back, and John for riding almost all my laps with me.

If were to do this again this is what I would do differently...
    -Sleep/rest through the day more and crank it out at night
    -Trade my 5Spot for a Turner Nitrous!
    -Tighter lycra
    -try some of that chamois butta!
    -bring a sleeping bag

The Warriors Society pulled off another great event!

~Von-Skipp

5. TURNERob

bum
    Haha, yeah Matt I couldn't believe you slept out there for that long with no blanket or anything. I was in a sweatshirt with a sleeping bag wrapped around me and still was cold!

6. bananaseat

bananaseat Member

great job guys. excellent race reports... von skip, riding on two burgers... insane! i get cramps from a couple of bananas...

the duke-the-nuke vs. von skip drama builds....

7. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Thanks Matt but you did all the hard work. I just wanted to help you avoid some of the major first time solo mistakes. You'll be battling it out for the podium at future solo events with some of the bigger names in the sport, I'm sure of it.

8. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Hey OCRIDER. Great job on the 15 laps!! I noticed you rode all through the heat when I was relaxing. I totally thought you were gona blow up and melt, but you proved me wrong.

Another thing that I thought would annoy me going solo, would be the repetivness of the course, especially since the course is so short. This actually never bothered, I guess the constant work, your either climbing or going down kept me busy.

Nice meeting you Kathy and Chris....

Anyone know if I won a feather!!!! I had to leave early.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Results will be up some time this week. I was helping work on them last night.

mtnbikej

10. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Nicely done all! I'm bummed I wasn't able to make it out there to hang or show my support.

Man, it was hot at 8:30 AM Saturday when banannaseat and I hit Aliso...I couldn't even imagine riding out there during the most BLAZIN' part of the day!:bang:

Congrats to everyone and way to represent STR!!!
    :beer:

11. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Just wanted to say Congrats to everyone...Jon, Jose what a great team...Bret, Matt, George, Craig, Rob Skippy...Sorry I can't remember you all. It was a pleasure meeting all of you!

The event was great and very well organized. Volunteering was fun too. I was fortunate enough to work the timing tent and not out somewhere on the course at midnight.

Looking forward to riding together soon.

http://img377.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img377%2F4880%2F1149623335kih.smil

12. TURNERob

bum
    Cathy I saw you and Dirtorpeedo there at camp but I was just too tired to get out of my chair to go say hi.......then I didn't even realize you were working the timing booth while I was trying to get the rest of my laps in at night. Thanks for volunteering and next time I'll be sure and introduce myself when I'm not in a coma ](*,)

Rob

13. CC

Oh so you were the guy in a coma...Yah like that really helps (hahaha)...I think there were a few like that by the time I show up. jk....Not a problem, it was late and everyone was kinda doing there own thing. Looking forward to meeting up soon. EL Moro tomorrow??? If not the Thursday thingy???

14. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Think I was one of those you can't remember.

Sorry to jump in on your moment, but the link to your photo slideshow was great! Just happened to have some Morrissey on, and it just...worked.

Saw you guys, but didn't introduce myself either. Pretty beat, ya know?

Next time, definitely.

15. CC

GREAT!!! Glad you enjoyed.

16. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    it was cool to meet some of you locals that nite i still dont remember all the names but i'll catch up,hope we can ride soon.next 24hr race shood be sept. in idyllwild.THAT one is an ass kickin good time ,not that this one was'nt,great job worriers,you keep puting em on we'll keep coming! is'nt cc just the coolest?

17. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Is anyone going to the 24 Hrs of Moab?

18. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I'm not, what are the dates of that one? I'd imagine it will be even more blazin' hazen' than the 24hrs of OC was.

19. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

It's not until October ( October 14th & 15th, 2006), so it shouldn't be too hot and you have plenty of time to ponder

:)