24 hours of OC???

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Pain Freak, Jun 4, 2006.

1. RIDE 2 LIVE

RIDE 2 LIVE fritz the dog

SELF EMPLOYED
    O.K., semi pros.

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Yeah yeah, his point was they were NOT your "average homeboys" :p Their lap times were frickin in the 35 minute range consistantly on that Sho-air team, nobody standed a chance against them.

3. CranxOC

CranxOC New Member

Nope, no pros on either of those teams. Manny's about the closest thing to a pro that was out there and he's not going to take that step until some time next year.

Our GeoLadders.com jerseys sure did look professional though; awesome job Craig!

4. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Orange isn't exactly my color but those jerseys did look well made.

5. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    That would have been some gnarly hot riding conditions. I used to race in July, but that was in Southern Oregon and Northern California. Heck, I was boiling over at my house for my son's 4th birthday party on Saturday. Of course, I live just on the other side of the Santa Ana's where it is warmer, but still, riding at 2 PM on Saturday must have been brutal. Great job everybody!!

6. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Here is my version, it is copy and pasted from my myspace blog. Keep in mind that my times I listed may not be 100% accurate:

So, about a month and a half ago one of my mt. biking buddies throws out the idea, "What do you guys think about doing the 24hrs of Orange County mt. bike race?" First thing that came to my mine was how grueling my 1 hour and 40 minute race was, where the race was only 2 laps long...slowly each of our 5 team members agreed that this would be an excellent challenge and that we would give it a shot. Keep in mind, NONE of us are racers by anymeans, and heck my bike is far from a racing bike, it is a "trail/freeride" bike, meaning it weighs just under 33 pounds and is designed to be hucked off of rocks and ridden down gnarly terrain, not exactly a cross-country racing machine. A cross-country mt. bike generally weighs in around 28 pounds or less, and is designed to go fast, and not designed to be hucked off rocks. So, I'm already at a disadvantage from the get go.
    We assembled our team and as race day approached we each took on our own training regiment. For me it consisted of riding 3 times per week, 2 of which were after work in the early evening and one long ride on Sunday. I began and kept this up for the 3 weeks prior to the race, which started at noon on Saturday June 3rd and ended at noon on Sunday June 4th. None of us had any experience riding at night, and we knew that night riding was going to make up a giant portion of our ride time. Temperatures during the day were expected to be in the mid to upper 90's for race day. 4 out of our 5 team members assembled two weeks ago for a night ride to test out our lights, and to get a feel for riding under the stars. As you may expect, it is quite a different experience, we had to take the trail much slower for the most part, even though we knew it like the back of our hands. The climbs werent so bad, but the downhill sections were very tricky. The helmet mounted light I was using worked quite well, but would cast shadows, and really through off my depth perception, making it nearly impossible to judge the depth of ruts and the height of rocks and what not...

So, race day arrives, we all meet up around 10a.m. at the Flying B ranch in/near Silverado Canyon, off of Santiago Canyon road in Orange. The sun is already blazing and it is easily in the mid 80's with little breeze to be had. Our team had a pretty killer base camp set up complete with three EZ-UP canopies, which offered plenty of shade, a bike stand to make bike maintenance a breeze, complete set of tools, various types of beach chairs, tents, sleeping bags, about 5 ice chests packed with various sports drinks, and beers, we had tons of PB&J sandwiches, apples, oranges, bananas, energy gels, energy bars, you name it, we had it...oh yeah, we even had 5 tiki torches and a firepit to keep things lit up at night.

After setting everything up we had to decide our strategy, who would go first, and how many laps would each person do. Originally we thought we were going to do two consecutive laps, but due to the insane heat, we agreed that one would be plenty. So, we chose our order; Del, Rob, Craig, George, then myself. After the 10:30 riders meeting the jitters began to build. I wasn't even going to be on my bike until about 3:30 pm, but I was feeling the butterflies. "5 minutes to start time" is called over the loud speaker and we all head down to the start area to send Del off. 3'2'1'GO!, and they are off, about 40 riders or so speeding away up the paved hill which quickly turned to gravel. With the pack off and on their way we head back up to camp. After preriding the course we had determined that each of us would average anywhere between a 45-55 minute lap on the 6 mile course. So, we head back down after about 40 minutes to meet Del and when he arrives he looked WORKED!!! Dripping sweat, his face bright red, he was stating that he was dizzy, nauseated, and could hear his heart pounding in his head, he also had the chills, all of which are symptons of heat stroke/heat exhaustion...Del passed on the small wooden dowl to Rob and he was on his way. Rob took off and finished his lap in about 45 minutes I believe, then it was Craigs turn, then Georges and then I was up. George came in right at 3:30 on the dot and I was up. He handed me the dowl/baton (small wooden piece that had to be handed off between riders) and I was on my way. The heat was still pretty unbearable and I had loaded up on Gatorade and bananas while I waited for the others to complete their laps. There is alot of climbing (uphill) on this course and in the heat, this really takes its toll on you. My teammates had told me to take it easy, and not to overdue it, as they nearly puked on their runs. I kept telling myself to relax and not push too hard but this was a race and I didnt want to take it easy too much. I found myself feeling pretty good on the climbs and the downhills were a relief, but not much. There were tons of warm pockets of air that were just "still". Portions of the canyon didnt have any breeze and this made it unbearable at points, I did have to stop twice in the shade for about 30 seconds or so to regain my composure. These small breaks helped me out tremendously and I was able to clean the rest of the course without stopping. Luckily the last mile or so is ALL downhill so once I cleaned the last climb I knew I could push myself and not have to worry about another lengthy climb. Pulling into the start/finish line I saw the clock and took note of my 54 minute lap time. This wasnt bad, but it wasnt great, it was obvious the heat was kicking my ass. So Del, Rob, Craig, and George complete there next laps and it was my turn again, the time was 7:48p.m. and this time the temps were much cooler. Anticipating nightfall I had my helmet mounted light ready for action as I pedaled off. I felt much better on this lap and pushed the climbs harder and felt like I was making great time. About 1/2 way through my lap the daytime quickly turned to night and I had to turn on my light. It wasn't completely dark yet, so I turned the light off on the climbs, but turned it on when the downhill sections approached. Dusk was upon me and it was amazing, the views of the sunset I had were amazing, and the cool breeze felt even more amazing as I descended the tight and technical switchback turns. I saw about 3 or 4 tarantulas on this lap, they often come out around dusk to feed. At first I was startled, but I've seen them before on my rides so it wasn't that big of a deal. I crank back to the start finish line and got there at 8:38 and pass the baton off to Del. This time I had bettered my time by 4 minutes, turning in an even 50 minute lap time. I was starting to feel tired and thought it would be good to try to get some sleep, keep in mind I only had 3.5 hours before I had to be back on the bike. I wheel my bike back up to camp and set the alarm on my cellphone for 11:30pm, so I could be back down to meet George at the start/finish area by 11:45pm; it was about 9pm by the time I got inside my truck. Falling asleep wasnt as easy as I thought it would be. I was parked near the course and could see the bright/high intensity lights and hear the gravel under the riders tires as they passed by my truck. I found myself tossing and turning more than sleeping. Just when I felt like I finally fell asleep, I'm awaken to a tapping on my window and a very bright light at 11:00pm....it was George, telling me that he was going down to meet Craig and that I was up next...so much for sleep. I got out of my truck feeling EXTREMELY tired and by this time the temps had dropped dramatically from my last lap, it was feeling a abit chilly outside. Waking up was difficult, I didnt think I had it in me to start my next lap, I sat in a chair next to Rob and sipped on a Red Bull and put on a sweat shirt and was trying to pysch myself up for my next lap. Soon enough it was 12:00 am and George would be coming in anytime, so I put on a long sleeve jersey, strap up my camelbak, flick on my light and head to the staging area...12:12a.m. and George rolls in and hands me the baton/dowl. By this time I am wide awake and head off into the darkness. Along the trail there are other riders camps set up with lanterns and tents and canopies, all of which took on a different look at night. Once I pass all the tents and camps it is off into the woods, COMPLETE darkness except for the light being projected from my helmet. All I can hear is the crunching of the rocks/dirt/twigs under my tires, a slight annoying creek coming from my seat and the sound of myself breathing as I embark on my first completely dark lap. This time around the stars are out in full force and the moon was just under 3/4 full, truly a spectacular view. The breezes were cool and the areas that once held warm pockets of air were now dispersing cooler pockets of air. The downhill sections were much trickier to negotiate at night, and I had to take them with much more caution. As I rounded one uphill switch back, I saw the 2nd half of a snake slither by about 2 feet in front of me...kind of unheard of so late at night, I analyzed the tail and took note that it was a rattlesnake, chills quickly went up my spine as I pedaled by and quickly I forgot about that and was concerned with the next climb that was ahead of me. I could see another riders light quickly approaching me from the back and heard his heavy breathing, I pulled to the side so he could pass me, (he was one of the sho-air SEMI-pro riders who smoked us). With him by me I was able to take it a little easier but kept my pace up. I pulled into the start finish area to be greeted by Rob this time, not Del. Rob had told me that everyone else was sleeping and that he wanted to do two laps in a row, the time was 1:05a.m.. I told Rob that I was feeling pretty strong and that he should do just one lap and when he comes back I'll do the next one. This meant that I would only have about 50 minutes to rest instead of my usual 3.5 hours...this was a good thing because waiting that long would have caused a lot of fatigue and I doubt I would have been able to get up to ride. Rob takes off into the darkness and I decide that I need some food. I eat a banana and slug some gatorade and also eat/slurp/suck down an "orange-cream" flavored ClifShot (energy gel). I head back down to the start/finish area and Rob pulls in right around 2:00am, he passes me the baton/dowl, I stick it in my pocket in my shorts and am off. This time around the course was a tad more dormant, as more and more riders were getting their sleep. I caught up to one guy who had the same bike as me and it was funny because when I was right behind him, he would pedal his ass off to build a lead, and then I'd round the corner to see him walking his bike up the climb, and as soon as I pedaled up to him, he'dd get back on and haul ass again...I guess my point is that it felt good knowing I could clean the climbs and he had to walk them, but maybe he was doing the race solo, Im not sure. So, after those little incidents he beats me to the start finish line by about 30 seconds and instead of seeing Rob waiting for me in the transition area, Craig is there waiting....the time was 2:50a.m. I hand Craig the baton and walk my bike up to base camp, by this time I was feeling pretty wiped out and sleep was on my mind. There was no way I was going do another lap anytime soon. I take off my jersey, helmet, camelbak and gloves and throw on a sweatshirt and walk to my truck and this time I have no problem falling asleep, after all it was about 3:15a.m.....I'm woken by the sounds of gravel crunching under tires and voices of riders as they pass by my truck, it is now 7:05a.m. Slowly I wake up and attempt to walk down to our camp, my legs are super stiff, and my body is just exhausted. As I walk up I see Rob bundled up in a sleeping bag in a chair, a friend of ours Steve is in a sleeping bag on the grass next to the firepit and I think that was about it. The sun was already beginning to pound the canyon. All race long we had steadily held down 4th place and we determined that to be our goal. After all, the first place team which consisted of pros was about 10 laps ahead of us, second place was about 6 laps ahead, 3rd was 4 laps ahead and we were 3 laps ahead of the 5th/last place team. So, we determine that George needs to do one more lap to ensure our 4th place position and as soon as Del rolled in around 9:50a.m. George took off, he had 2hours and ten minutes to complete a lap, he could have walked it if needed. George rolls in at about 11:00am I believe and we feel great knowing that we didnt finish last!

Again, this all started out as a crazy idea and we didnt expect anything. We all just wanted to give it our all and whatever place we came in, we would be satisfied with. Well, we ended up taking 4th place out of 5 teams. I'd say we did pretty good for being a bunch of "average" guys who get together and ride a couple times a week. We had a bunch of support from other friends who came and visited throughout the 24hr period and if they are reading this they know who they are, THANKS GUYS/GALS!!! I also want to thank each and everyone one of you who responded to my bulletin I posted on Thursday night regarding this race, that meant alot to me and it was very cool, so THANKS!!!
    Stay tuned and I'll post a bulletin of a link with pictures of the event once they start getting posted.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I must say that I am thrilled with myself for following through with something of this magnitude. Four years ago when I first started riding mt. bikes regularly I never thought that I'd ever be doing any races, better yet a 24 hour race!!! Our team logged 25 laps, and each rider logged 5 laps, totaling about 26 miles each.

Nap time!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2006
  7. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Vvv

Attached Files:

8. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Does Dino win a prize for longect post in STR history.:read:

haha...great ride report.

Congrats to all who weathered*pun intended*the heat and rode their a$$es off. Awesome job

9. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

muuhahhaaaaa!! j/k DINO BROWN!!! great report playyaa bub!!

my little report will be that John did most of the tuff stuff and has my respect for pulling out of the heatstroke and riding a ton of miles more to finish w/authorottaaaa!!!! DOOD, U R ONE CRAZY MONKEY!!!:bang: the last hours of the race where freaking too insaine and hot for me so I could not ride more to help the team!! only did 5 laps total but felt like I did 10 like John. It was a great race and great times w/all the Playyaa bubs from STR!! In my eyes we kicked some mayor BUTT and wanted seconds!! GOOD JOB GUYS!! lets do it again!!:bang:

last but not least great Job to Shannon for taking the 3rd place!! U rock GIRL!!

10. Murmur

Murmur New Member

Partner - Sport Recon
    Great job everyone! It was good to meet some of you guys finally. Everything has pretty much been covered, so I'll be brief. I was on the Geoladders.com squad. We had one guy go down after 3 laps because of the heat....otherwise we would have caught them Sho-Air bastages, um, yeah right.

Team Uphill Endos was right with us the whole time and that made it fun - going over to the results table all day / night and strategizing. We were about a lap up on them most of the night - but you never want to get to confident because a million things can happen out there. We were fortunate to not have many mechanical problems.

Doing well at these types of events is all about realizing that it is an endurance event, not a race. You need soldiers over sprinters. Sleep is a luxury.

Great event, great time. Thanks Warriors! Congrats to everyone that persevered.

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    My first race

I did the pre-ride on May 27th when it was nice and cool. I did 4 laps and figured that I could do 6 laps and avoid the dreaded DNF. The first 2 laps I used a 33x19 gear on my Niner singlespeed, then tried 33x21 and 33x23. I thought the ride would be a low-key way to start into 24 hour racing. I'm a grandfather so short sprints are not my style or desire. I was the only oldie there so I was placed in the 31-45 novice class.

As everyone said, it was hot. At the start the order was solo riders first and then team and corporate teams. I was solo but inched to the side so as not to be overrun by the team guys doing one fast lap. The bell went off and so did the fast riders. I settled into a moderate pace and made sure there was a gap before approaching the first steep mini-hill. During the practice a geared rider stopped and blocked my way so that was a lesson learned.

After that hurdle it was a matter of plugging along with the group, the fast teams were already out of sight. It was hot but I don't think I noticed how hot it was. At the last fireroad climb I passed ~8 geared riders spinning up in grannie gear, for SS its walk or go. First laps were 33x23 on the Niner.

------
    1st lap 45 minutes, 142 bpm
    rest 2 mins 45 seconds
    2nd lap 50 minutes, 140 bpm (103 degrees on thermometer)
    -------
    Feeling the heat, rest longer
    3rd lap 55 minutes, 130 bpm
    -------
    Suffering from heat - initial cramping, take Shot-Bloks
    4th lap 55 minutes, 128 bpm
    -------
    Is there a pattern here?
    -------
    5th lap 1:02, 113 bpm (night laps, but still warm)
    -------
    6th lap 1:01 118 bpm
    -------
    7th lap HRM says no pulse (because I'm not sweating?)
    -------
    8th lap
    -------
    At every transition Chris is very solicitous. (Worried about heatstroke?)
    In the wee hours I have a 2 lap lead and so I take a 3 hour nap and wait for my body to say "Time to get up". I also decided not to risk having any mechanical issues in the dark. I'm off for lap 9 at 5:45, it's chilly in the canyon so I took 2 layers! As soon as I leave the canyon it's warm, no it's hot, so off comes the extra T-shirt.
    --------
    laps 9,10,11 hot then hotter and very hot.
    lap 12 0:58 (I had taken the HRM off rather than fuss with it)
    --------
    After every lap some of the singletrack became rougher, the soft wood chips used as fill were being pushed aside. Noticeable when riding rigid.
    I am thankful there weren't rocks!
    --------
    I checked the standings in the transition and just kept one lap ahead of the competition. First place with 12 laps. Thanks to the Warriors for the event and thanks to the volunteers and their encouragement.

(pacman on MTBR)

12. RIDE 2 LIVE

RIDE 2 LIVE fritz the dog

SELF EMPLOYED
    perfectly said!:bang: :bang:

13. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    awesome job! i wish i could have been there to support you!

guys, this man is the real deal...i ride with him often so i know first hand.

Congrats Doug! though i have to say i am not surprised.

14. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

was he the one onthe Kermit Green Niner? if thats him WHOAHH!! dood!!u was kicking mayour butt!!!:beer:

15. Shannon

Shannon ........

Hey, thanks Jose. I just woke up from my coma.. I mean nap. That race kicked my butt between the 100+ degree heat and all that climbing. For some reason I thought doing it solo sounded like a fun idea. Congrats to you and John!!! First place, not to shabby.....

16. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Congrats to all that entered this thing, it was definitely a challenge.

Job well done to the WS for organizing one heck of an event. From my perspective everything went off without a hitch, and if there was a hitch, they hid it well.

Big thanks to my fellow Homeboys for putting forth an above Average effort: Craig, Bret, and Rob for keeping it up through the night, and George for cranking out his last two laps in the daytime--after the previous day's heat, going out in that sun again was huge. For a bunch of virgins, I think we got it on pretty good.

Mike, thanks for the volunteer work and saving us a hard earned lap! And to the others that came to hang out/resupply/support, way cool y'all.

Congrats to all the placers, STR was again well represented. ocrider, nicely done. Skippie, so close but still kick-a$$. Didn't get a chance to meet hbrunner, but a hearty congrats to you, too! And J & J, you two rocked! Oh, and it was good to meet you, Jon.

All in all it was an awesome way to spend 24 hours. Wish I'd put in a few more night laps, and had trained a bit more beforehand, but still had a blast. This was all about the experience, and I gained plenty.

Sounds like we might be seeing the Homeboys again next year--look out, #3...

A few pics. to follow soon.

17. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    Great race guys! it was nice to see you guys pushing yourselfs out there. congrats! dude jon u did 10 laps and kept going after getting heat stroke. heat stroke. Your one gnarly dude. I got started getting the chills but then Mario started cooling me off and giving me ice water to cool off with during my laps.Because of that I was able to ride strong through the heat. My lights went out at midnight and I was giuded out with a small light from a sho air guy and a geoladders team member behind me and later Jose when the other light burned out. Thnx guys! I took a break at 1 and was out there again at 3. was gonna stop after #14 but went out again. The
    heat was a kiler. I stopped and took a break by the outback loop and was cooled and given by Bob M. and Tinker Bell. Thnx Bob. Came back at hour #22 too hot for another lap. Id like to thank the volunteers, Tim and mtnbikej for helping me with my lights and support and Mario for supporting me.
    Matt

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Trekker, you are something else. I was suprised when you came up the first time I hadn't seen a single ss'er and then you came up on a niner and at a kick ass pace. I'm not sure of your age, but I think we are close, but I'd never be able to handle one of those laps nevermind 12. Congrats on a well fought victory.

19. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Think he's 61 or 62. I only hope to be going so strong at that age!

20. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Holy shee-ite. Man, I could only hope to be that fast at any age.[​IMG]

[​IMG]