2015 Redlands Strada Rossa --> March 21st

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by cyclotourist, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

These changes make my bike less suitable, maybe it's time for me to get some new tires, also.

2. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

I maaaaay have been a touch premature in discussing route changes... D'oh!

The "regular" route will be great, it will just have more road miles and the dirt it has will be smoother (mostly). Thinner, smoother tires would be better on it. That's the most likely route, and won't be disappointing to anyone. IF we can get this other route mapped out and ridden multiple times over the next four weeks to confirm it's suitability, it's definitely a more fun and challenging route. Our goals are safe, legal, challenging, and fun!

Depending on turn out and feedback, we're also kicking around the idea of doing this in the fall as well!

3. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

I'm riding this on a steel road bike on 32c Vittoria Rando tires. Not changing the route would save me the cost of a set of tubeless CX/gravel tires. Speaking of which, damn the selection for these isn't great. Plenty of tubeless CX and clincher gravel, but not a lot of tubeless gravel/files. Clement needs to hurry up with those rumoured tubeless MSOs.

Doing a fall RSR sounds awesome, especially if the routes are slightly different.

4. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

My long weekend full of trail reconnaissance has been shot down by a nasty virus... I've been able to accomplish re-routing the derailer cables on my kid's bike over the last two days and that's all! Looking more like the faster/smoother known route!

If we get motivated for twice a year, having a two types but generally similar routes would be awesome. We'd like to push one through to Loch Leven/Angelus Oaks as well, but that's a long ways off for now!

And I would LOVE a set of tubeless MSOs!!!

5. Rolling Fat Guy

Rolling Fat Guy New Member

Going to try it again this year. Last year I bailed out at mile 40, but to get back to Redlands the total ride was 51 miles with 4,446 feet of elevation gain.

The MTB was ok last year, but is was super slow on the road. This year I'm going to use a CX bike with modified gearing (36x32 sissy gear) and tubeless.

When do you think the 2015 route will be available? I've heard a lot of rumors...lol. Route reversed, Mentone wash singletrack, Oakmont, No Hulda/Reche Canyon, etc.

6. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Right now, no Hulda/Reche, and instead routing out to Mentone for some dirt and going by Hangar 24. So giving up some dirt, but adding a brewery, what's the downside?
    No HAB sections, cross bike friendly. So far 72 riders signed up in a couple weeks, hopefully double that over the next four!

7. riiz

riiz Member

I'm still going to register despite the lack of Hulda/Reche, hehe. But any chance you'll post some routes soon?

Btw, for the people that are gonna run a 29'er over a CX bike, Geax Evolutions are where it's at, and they work tubeless on Stan's rims.

8. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Glad to have a repeat customer!

Still updating the route as I write this. A possible segment is being investigated this morning, linking Cherry Valley to Yucaipa/Wildwood Cyn. As soon it's confirmed one way or the the other, I figure the route will be pretty much set.

If we go with the existing route and stop adding on to it, the 100km is the one to aim for. The 50km is great for anyone that just isn't sure about either riding that distance or on a road bike and not comfortable about riding it in dirt. The 100 will have both Wildwood State Park and Crafton, while the 50 skips both. And those are the two sections worth doing it for if you're on the fence between the two!

9. hav77

hav77 Member

Environmental Planner
    Been hurt and off the saddle and will be for a little longer. However, hopefully a miracle will happen and will get fit enough to do this ride.

10. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Getting healthy is the number one goal, right!
    If you can get to a decent level of fitness, the 50km is doable without any training and a lot of fun: http://redlands-strada-rossa.blogspot.com/2015/01/50km-route-pre-ride.html

11. CarlS

CarlS Member

so sounds like the long route is going to be more road bike / cross bike friendly than mtb friendly? if I stop at hanger 24.... the ride is over for me! I can't resist beer.

12. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Both routes best served by a CX bike, but the longer one has much more dirt. Specifically Singleton Rd, Wildwood St. Park, and Crafton Hills. None of those are technical rides though, just quality trails, mostly dirt roads/double-track. Special addition of some singletrack up in Oak Glen area, but still fine with a CX bike. That's kind of the goal, not too much technical dirt for the roadies, not too much straight road miles for the MTBs. 50/50 QUALITY mix of both to keep everyone honest!
    Riding by Hangar is in the last 10k of BOTH, so you can finish at your leisure!

13. Rolling Fat Guy

You said Singleton Road. Does that mean you are bypassing the food and water options in Calimesa?

14. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

No, that part should be the same as last year. Singleton/Woodhouse, the lower dirt section was what I was talking about. BTW, San Timoteo schoolhouse state historic site should be open with water and toilets available. Nice coincidence of the calendar this year.

15. Rolling Fat Guy

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

16. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    Has the long route been finalized yet? Map posted anywhere? I'm starting to get psyched up.......Thanks!

17. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Wow, what a weekend. I pre-road a chunk of it Saturday, then to Vail Lake for SoCal League middle school racing (sadly, I didn't win), then rode another chunk of it today. Mark & Chuck rode a long loop checking out some sections to add in upper Yucaipa. Long/short: No, nothing finalized yet but we're REALLY excited about it!

What we're hoping to do is remove the long road sections. While scenic, they were a bit numbing. The percentage of dirt is right around 50%, but broken more than 2014. Route is a bit more twisty and turny, so an extended phone battery might be a good addition! Road route is not going to be flagged, but we'll try to put gypsum or red flags on the dirt route sections.

Best news is there are ZERO goathead sections!!!!!! Always a random chance, but no problems at all for any of us on pre-rides!

This is one of the little portions being added on: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10155326582315327&set=o.1562664113989341&type=2&theater

The hills are gorgeous, and not too hot today. Would be awesome to get a touch more rain before the 21st, but looking warm and dry. Hydration pack is recommended for the 100. Bottle or two for the 50. Here's the trail side view from today's ride in Crafton: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/16135112084/

And don't forget to buy a patch! Don't get excited about the map, that's last year's route on it;) https://www.etsy.com/listing/222080664/redlands-strada-rossa-100k50k-bike-ride

18. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Thanks for the update. Nice to see Turner on the podium.

19. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Yucaipa middle school kids owned it!

20. Rolling Fat Guy

"Don't get excited about the map, that's last year's route on it"

Sure it is...lol.