2015 Redlands Strada Rossa --> March 21st

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by cyclotourist, Jan 8, 2015.

1. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Dan, I was going to sign up for the 50K since I can easily do that on my Heckler. I don't know if I'm up for 60+ miles and 6K of climbing yet. I've ridden Crafton a few times and the surrounding area looks like it is worth exploring. Carl, I chose the cross option vs. super light hard tail so I could swap tires and join in road rides more than gravel grind. Let the experiment begin.

2. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Love the Straggler. That looks like such a great bike... hopefully you're rockin' the Glitter Dreams purple!

3. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

My buddy Jim is probably going to be on his Niner MCR with the rigid fork... perfect with some fast tires!

4. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

IMHO, low gearing and tire choice is more important than type of bike. Have some tires that roll fast for the road (approximately half the ride) yet offer good grab on hardpack for the dirt climbs and descents, especially if doing the 100km.

5. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    Duke, I signed up for the 50K but I'm going to see if I can tweek the route to get in more off-road mileage. I'll share my plans/thoughts on this page. Also, if you want to carpool and don't mind having to get back to Fullerton at 4:30 p.m. let me know as we get closer to the date.

6. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Sound good. I'll check the thread as we get closer.

7. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

I just signed up for the 50km.

8. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Good deal!
    Any problems with the registration process? It was initially a little buggy.

9. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

It went smoothly, once I figured out that I was supposed to do the Student/club membership and then the ride reg. It says that right on the site, but somehow it took me a minute to figure it out.

10. Sir Laplack

Sir Laplack New Member

Now I just need to figure out if I am gonna ride my gravel girl as is, or buy some cross tires.

11. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Okay, thanks for the feedback on that. It wasn't working at first, but seems to be fixed. Glad you figured out the process ($15 membership, $10 event). I guess a few signups did just the $35 event instead of the two part process to get the $10 discount.

At this point, the 50km is fine with whatever you want to ride (bike or tire). But light knobs on a fast tire would be optimum. Something like the Clement MSO would be perfect. In fact I'm about to buy another set this weekend I love these tires so!

12. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

13. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Just registered for 100 k today.
    Looks like I goofed and got no discount= more $ for IE Bike.
    The list had $25 gets discounts, but not the $15 student/club.

Signed up for the fast group, even though I'm not.
    Hopefully, I can pull it off in 5 hours.

Planning on riding my cross bike with file treads, anyone have opinions on this?
    I've never ridden anything out there.

14. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

I'm sorry you didn't get the discount :-( I realize it's a bit convoluted and overly complicated. We're trying to do two things at the same time and the registration portal isn't the cleanest tool to do it with. If you want the discount, email Mark and he should be able to figure a way to change it for you.

You did mention the extra $10 goes to IEBA, and if you haven't seen the latest posting on the FB, please take a moment to read: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inland-Empire-Biking-Alliance/156207984434074
    The IEBA is NOT just a ride promoter, it's there for coordination, education and advocacy as well. And unfortunately to speak out against the unprecedented amount of cyclists killed on our roads.

15. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Well... we may be changing the route, and a lot more dirt miles will be added. Playing around with some ideas that need to be checked out in person over the next few weeks. IF the changes work out, wow, MTB riders are going to be stoked. If we go with the original route planned, a CX bike w/ light knobs/file tread is perfect, something like the Challenge Gravel Grinder tire. If the new route option, fatter but fast tires would be perfect. Think Schwalbe Thunder Burt. I've said it before and will say it again: Tubeless is your friend on this ride. If anyone coming is on the fence about going tubeless, let this be your motivation! The added dirt miles are through agricultural areas, and that's where goatheads grow due to the irrigation runoff.

Right now we basically need to check and make sure no water dept. construction, and no deep-deep sand. There is a .25km section of flat HAB across the Santa Ana River flood plane. Don't freak, it won't be miserable, just deep sand mixed with river-rock granite boulders. If all is good, the length of both routes will increase a bit and the percent of dirt will increase significantly. No, we're not intentionally trying to annoy roadies... we just like the dirt:)

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

16. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I'm in. Registration went smoothly. Gives me a good excuse to buy some new tires.

17. CarlS

CarlS Member

^^^

Attached Files:

18. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

And take this Kazakhstan: Out of the newer "short" route's 67km, 41km or 61% will be dirt and 30% of that distance (12 km) is on singletrack!
    Oh, and the HAB mentioned above is only .25km and at the 7km point, so the entire group should still be pretty together.

19. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

Good to read! It's a two-step process, but should work. THANKS for jumping in the ring!

20. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

I want to reiterate that this is a proposed change... IF we stay with original planned route, it will still be 100% spot on good ride.
    IF we go with a tougher/dirtier option, it will of course be a 125% spot on good ride.