2014 Pow Wow Race Reports

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by db.mx, Apr 5, 2014.

1. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Counting Coup DNS's

Congrats to all of those who lined up to ride Counting Coup / Vision Quest!

And my condolences to those of you who weren't able to start due to injury, illness, family or work emergency, etc.

I was curious, so I looked and it looks like 47 riders DNS Counting Coup in 2014 and 2013 and 42 DNS in 2012.

Also, I noted that 6 of the 47 riders who DNS Counting Coup in 2014 also DNS in 2013, and 1 of those riders DNS in all 3 years (2014, 2013 and 2012); also, one rider DNS in 2014 and 2012 and wasn't listed in 2013 as a participant. So 7 of the 47 (nearly 15%) of the DNS in 2013-2014 DNS in at least 2 out of 3 of the past three Counting Coup events.

Some of the others who DNS in the past 3 years of CC also may have had a DNS for VQ in one or two years, but I didn't look at that.

Last year, I rode my first Counting Coup. I didn't train adequately. There were legitimate reasons at times (extreme weather, illness, work/family emergencies) and less legitimate reasons at times. I didn't stick to a good diet, didn't lose enough weight, etc.

As the event approached, I contemplated joining the 25% or so that DNS every year. After getting some honest feedback from one or two friends, and some personal reflection, I decided to suck it up and give it one last push to get as ready as I could in what time was left.

I realized that I would feel better about myself if I showed up and failed than if I didn't even try. I wound up making the cutoffs. I was one of the last to finish, but I am so glad I showed up, dug deep and perservered. I feel like it made me stronger.

It's a great event and deserves the respect it earns year after year.

I wish a higher percentage of riders showed the event and the other participants, and themselves, the respect that's deserved by showing up--even if it's just to pedal up to Beeks or miss the first cutoff or second cutoff; they'd be better for it, compared to not even trying to follow through with a commitment they made. Especially those who have made it multiple times and not followed through.

Or, perhaps even better, didn't sign up at all so those who were willing and able to make the commitment could do so.

I actually decided not to sign up for the 2014 event as I didn't think I could make the commitment this year. I hope to be in a position to signup again for another Counting Coup someday. But I'm glad I at least showed up last year and tried my best on that day, even though I wasn't in the best shape I've ever been in. And I'm confident that would be the best for others to do as well.

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    It was when you past the Warrior Trailer. That is where the official time keep was and your time was calculated and stopped. The arch (see pic) was just an added touch and more ceremonial so participants knew to go through there to get their feather. Anyway, congrats on your 1st VQ finish. You'll go back and kick WHT in mouth next time ;)

893835_10203195319180315_4178732354207723468_o.jpg
    Pic by KeepsWhatHappens

3. oskin100

oskin100 Member

Finish Caprnenter

Man it seems like I may have to sign up for SS next year. I passed Neil on the Trabuco fire road his riding style put a smile on my face and i was a bit jealous of him. He looked like he was having a blast spinning his bike at 100 or so RPM's then jumping every little thing he could. Looked fun. So naturally i yelled at him to spin that sucker. I dont know if he heard me or if I even said anything but that was my thoughts. Awesome event and great times as all ways.

The week leading up to this years event I tried to not put as much pressure on myself and just approach it with a more fun attitude. Main reason is I didn't think i would beat my last years time or get close to my goal of being in the top 10. Last year I didn't do a good job of pacing and totally blew up after that dreaded left turn so a emphasis of mine was to pace better especially on maple to the peak. This years race seemed to start out at a much more reasonable pace up front, which worked into my pace much better. Just like everyone else it is so awesome to see the stream of lights comming up Blackstar and then the views when you are on main divide. Got to the gate around 42 minutes and we feeling good. This was a slower pace then what i had done the year before. And I had almost drank a whole water bottle which is another thing i screwed up last year and only drank 1 bottle all the way over to MW. Anyways cruised over to MW passing a few people back and forth. Came across Brian Gordon who had a flat asked if he was good. Then took off. Got the bottom of MW around 1:45 +/- which was a minute or two slower then the year before. Perfect! switch my bottles, got my light taken off, failed to get food or my chain lubed, failed to get a beer from Andy but i did get a little heckled and i was off. About a few minuted up the asphalt i realized i didn't have any food. I thought about it for a minute then decided "screw it lets see what happens". was in small group of riders that we kept passing each other back and forth all the way up to four corners. At 4 corners I got some much more needed heckling from a few other friends. Crested the peak and was feeling great! Was about 3 minutes ahead of my last years time and was super stoked at this point! Only passed one guy on the entire decent. Couldn't use my bell as when I pulled it out the rubber band was MIA. I really liked it last year. Got to the bottom of HJ and took that dreaded left turn. Road up the hill a tinny bit got some food, switch bottles and lubed the chain. I was feeling tired but not close to cramping which was completely different then last year. I was told I was in 8th at this point. Ate some food on my way up to the single track (last year this is where the cramping started). got to the single track and I saw a friend of mine behind me (crispy). I had all ready decided that i was going to wall 100% of WHT until the very top which i thought i could clean it up to main divide after. Crispy caught me and passed me up WHT. It was hard as i wanted to get on my bike and try and ride with him but i stuck to my plan. Kept walking. He was in my sights so maybe it helped me walk faster? We finally got to the area i had decided I was going to ride from. I hoped on my bike and felt good. I knew i had made the right decision. Legs were much better then any other year. Plus i cut 7 minutes off of this section compared to the year before. So with only 45 minutes left I start to give it my all. was able to set PR's on the remainder of the course. I always love coming down Trabuco and I find myself singing some very funny/interesting music when coming DH (Coming down Trabuco it was DMX rough riders???) and i fully sing it out loud. Just a funny note feel free to make fun of me! Pop out on the fire road and give it whatever i had left. Caught up to 1X1 Clyde splish splashing through all the puddles and jumps... The new finish caught me off guard and was a little bit rough being so tired. thought for sure i was going to get a flat with as many bushes as i seemed to hit. Sorry about that/. Ended up taking 8th with a time of 5:38. Was a little bummed to see a fellow teammate at the finishing but he still gave me a super sick high five!

Special thanks to my wife for putting up with all my training (aka excuse to ride) as well as the special yummy food she made the last week.

Thanks again to the warriors society.

JO.jpg

4. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Thanks, Gene. If it wasn't for Oskin100's photo above I'd have forgotten where the trailer was - I was pretty fuzzy-brained by that time! The ceremonial arch was also a great touch - I really liked that. We'll see about going back again for my revenge on WHT. The amount of effort and time (time away from family & friends) that goes into properly preparing for an event like this is so tough that I suspect I'll be a one-and-done VQ rider. I'm looking forward to trying to perform to my full ability on another CC though. That would be just plain fun!

5. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Thanks Warriors Society for a great event that I somehow keep coming back to even though during WHT I always say "never again!". Now that I did VQ on the SS, I'm serious this time. It's Counting Coup or volunteering from now on. Really. I think.

Back to the DNS thing for just a minute, then I'll be quiet forever on it: it doesn't really bother me that much, but I see a win-win opportunity here somewhere. Would it be possible to offer a bailout option window for people say 3-4 weeks out? A partial refund can be given just to make it worth their while (say $40-50), then the next person in line can pay the full amount. I'm surprised Active.com doesn't offer a admin function like this, or do they? Anyway, the person bailing out would be happier, the next person in line gets to to do the race, and this would raise more money for the trails, or another charity, etc. If Active.com doesn't offer this, I'm sure there are some people in STR smarter than me who can figure out how to make this work with minimum administrative effort. Okay, I'll shut up about that now.

I am very grateful for this event, and if you never changed a thing, I'll continue to support it 100%. The vibe with the volunteers and other riders, and the feeling of accomplishment after doing something so tough are the things that keep bringing me back. I recall Bike Mag called VQ one of the toughest races in the world. I can see people arguing there are many tougher (with multi-day events, etc.) but for a one day event, and mile for mile VQ is pretty darn tough.

Congrats WS for another successful Pow Wow, and congrats to all who participated!

6. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

great job everyone! Love reading your reports. After swearing I would only do VQ once, all your stories may have inspired me for 2015. For that I say: I hate you all :lol:

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

My wife was thankful for the beer in the parking lot. Thanks again.

Nice job.

8. mlward50

mlward50 New Member

Sixth time doing VQ .Two DNF's in previous years so a little anxious about how it was going to turn out this time around. Great day for me, maybe best ever on a bike . Whole day made even better by the support of friends at CP 1and 2.
    Second oldest finisher in VQ, that was cool. Beat my goal of breaking nine hours as well, even better . Super stoked!! Thank you to the Warriors and all those who volunteered! Hearing the cheers and encouragement throughout the day from all was awesome.
    My favorite part of the day was experiencing that rush of joy at the top of Trabuco trail and having the volunteer there shouting my name and offering
    congratulations as I rolled on. Loved the finish this year as well!
    Maybe one more time ?

9. Learux

Learux New Member

My first CC wanted to do it in 6 hours, made it in about 7. What a great time it was, first bike race ever and had a blast. Made it down MW in 3 hours and felt pretty good. leaving aid station one I knew I was in trouble. Legs were dead and it took me 4 hours and a lot of walking to finish the CC. Made the mistake of peaking too early with training. Was much fitter 6 weeks ago.

I absolutely hate UHJ. My technical skills are not good enough and I can't afford to break a body part. So I walked a good part of UHJ down. Beside that I had an amazing time, although after the race I said never again. I will come more prepared next year and see If I can do it in 6 hours.

Met some nice guys and girls I chatted with quit a few during the ride. Too bad I live so far away(about 90 min) I would like to ride the area more.

Thanks to the WS for organizing It was awesome!!

10. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Nice Job Learux!
    Way to pick an easy event to get started :)
    Glad you enjoyed it.

11. Brandy

Brandy New Member

You're welcome...you owe me dinner now. ;)

12. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    Kells, I think I need to feel the pain and exhilaration after finishing VQ...2015 partner??

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

See......I told you that you would end up wanting to do VQ.

14. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I heard you and appreciated the encouragement as that road out absolutely sucks on a single speed so I figured why not spin and jump lol!
    Good job out there btw!

15. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

It takes a village

It was said to me to enjoy the ride because it would go fast and I thought well, I am not fast, how could 8-9 hours on the bike go fast?! That’s just crazy talk! Well it did and it does! This amazing journey was over in a blink of an eye.

My story goes a little something like this (ya sorry, the story doesn’t go as fast)…2013 was something of a blur, filled with lots of change and growth. I found myself spending a lot of time on my bike as a comfort during these times. When things seemed out of control I would go for a run or a ride. Let’s just say, I was outdoors A LOT! When October was nearing things were on the upswing; a few people mentioned that this might be my year to conquer CC with all the riding I had been doing (Side note: I previously tried in 2009 but a stupid Fully Loop crash wrecked my back and I was unable to finish training.). So there I was driving home one night when I remembered it was the night to sign up. I pulled over to a Starbucks and logged on with my phone and got in! Well I guess this is it. I was afraid to jinx myself so I didn’t make a big production or advertise my good (??) fortune. Between a few friends I found out my friend Quinn was in as well. Great, I found my training partner. Between our crazy schedules we managed to get some decent rides in. Nothing that left me over confident but enough that I felt I “could” survive.

Fast forward, the night before I went into manic mode and over bought nutrition, I couldn’t find my light charger so I ended up at Target, forgot to get gas AFTER I had gotten home for the evening so back out I went, then to the grocery store because I was certain I didn’t have enough of anything! I think my nerves where just getting to me. Alarm goes off at 3:30, tried to eat my planned breakfast and could not get it down. Finally I just ate a good ole’ bean and cheese burrito. Even that was a struggle to stomach!

I arrive at Black Star and check in, get my food over to the drop, I can’t find Quinn but I see a few other friendly faces and that helps settle my nerves. I’m standing in line to use the porta-potty for the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] time (nerves again!) and they announce we have about 5 mins. until start! Yikes, screw it I probably didn’t really have to go anyway. Those few minutes were a blur. We start to peddle and away we go. I hear someone behind me and it’s Quinn! So relieved to see her finally! The processional up Black Star is pretty amazing. Watching all the lights up the mountain is beautiful. Watching them disappear before you, well it’s a little disheartening.

I find my grove but my mind starts to fill with doubt. I’m starting to have Ace Ventura flashes (Laces out! Laces out! But instead of Dan Marino, it’s the fully loop crash to blame!). I almost turned around 100 times going up Black Star. I see a few people behind me but I’ve convinced myself they must be the sweepers and that they are wearing grim reaper kits. Let me just say my mind is never inactive or boring. I make it up to the top and I hear cheers from my teammates (SoCal Endurance Ladies), they said I was doing great but I didn't want to believe them. We took a quick picture and I had about half a cookie and took off in a panic, no time for stopping!
    top of BS.jpg
    Top of BS. Told me I was doing great, ya right!

The Main Divide part was just as expected, I kept my steady pace, walked the two sections I anticipated but otherwise just kept plugging along. I would spot the occasional person(s) out front, I’d forge ahead and almost catch up then they would be gone. It wasn't until I hit the top of Motorway and Debbie told me I was NOT last and I had plenty of time. You mean those people are not the grim sweepers?! Hallelujah! This was probably the first moment I left myself believe I would finish. You couldn’t wipe the smile off me after that.

Top of MW.jpg
    I'm not LAST! Not that there is anything wrong with last, I was totally cool being at the end.

I hit the first aid station with 30 mins. to spare! The aid station is another special experience, it was like a Nascar stop, hands were everywhere, seriously folks, shouldn’t we have dinner first?! Within seconds I was topped off and back out on the road. I was so excited I even threw my bike into a few higher gears up the pavement (ok maybe just one gear but damn it I felt good)?! The elation soon wore off and I started to wonder if I should slow down since I suddenly had all the time in the world to reach 4 Corners?! Ya just kidding! Keep moving, slow and steady. I was starting to get a little tired but mostly bored from being alone, the conversations in my head were getting old. Within minutes my prayers were answered and Collette and Allen appeared out of nowhere. It was so nice to have them that last stretch up Maple to chat with and distract me. Seriously a lot of the people that appeared before my on the trail were just heaven sent.

Aid station 1.jpg
    I look terrified! These people mean business!!

I made it to check-in #2 with another 30 mins. to spare and just in time to take a short break as I had just started to feel my first cramp. Along the way I had been leap frogging with my teammate Tessa, she handed me some “white” pills and winked, said something about the first ones being on the house and off she went, ok maybe it didn’t really go down like that. I downed the last of my pickle juice (Thanks Gene!!), took my white pills and never had the tinge come back. Again Angels were there, this time in the form of Jacke and Chris, my Trail Angel buddies. They went into Nacar mode and sent me on my merry way. The climb up to the peak was uneventful. Although I was finally starting to feel tired and ready to be done. The rest seems to be another blur. I made it down in one piece! Woohoo! And then I found Quinn, Poor Quinn was doing great and was ahead of me about 15-20 mins. the whole time. She had a flat and I found her on the side of the road at the bottom of Holy Jim. Some guys (Mike and ??) were helping her with her tire. I’m bummed for her that she was doing good time but the selfish part of me thought it was kinda cool that we finished together. We raced in elated that this journey was finally over. Our hard work had paid off and we got our feather!

Finish line.jpg
    And that my friends, is how I finished Counting Coup. It really does take a village to get through this race. I’m not even going to attempt to name names because that’s another 3 pages. But you know who you are and even if it’s not you, pat yourself on the back just for getting through this RR!

16. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    MANY thanks to WS & all the volunteers for another epic Pow Wow! It was so wonderful to see so many friendly faces out there! A special thank you to the cheerful crew at the top of WHT. All and all, a beautiful, memorable, (& slightly painful) day on the bike! Many Thanks! :clap::clap:

17. HBkites

HBkites Member

- My first CC.
    - My initial plan was VQ, but CC made more sense at this point.
    - Trained well for 5 month, but crashed on the main divide 3 weeks ago. Busted my elbow, but made it down motorway unassisted. Ended up with some stitches and staph infection. Didn't ride my MTB until the day of the event. I knew I can finish the ride, but I wanted to do well.
    - My Friend SM help me with the mental preparation and plenty of advises (thanks bro).
    - Started at the back of the pack with no intention of pushing it to the Doppler ball. I ended up riding that part of the race at reasonable pace (1:03:00).
    - Doppler ball - Top of motor way was "fun" with the sun in my eye (I'm glad I had my shades with me). I revisited my crash site, and ended riding that section in PR time.
    - Motorway was uneventful. I saw a few other riders fixing their bike, but I made it without a hitch. 2:32:00 to the first aid station.
    - MP to 4 corners was a slow spin with my body ML. we ended up in 4 corners in 4:00:00.
    - At that point things got interesting. I never pre-rode the final starch (I planed on doing it the weekend after I crashed), and I had no idea what was a head. To make things worst my Garmin (810) died/crashed/froze, and I had no data to work with. I used my HR monitor to control my pace. Once I lost it I had to try to ride a conferrable pace, but I felt lost.
    -The climb to the Santiago Pick was painful. I felt that my right groin is about to cramp. At that point I discovered how affective the new Salted Caramel Gu was. It was something I picked up from RocknRoad on Wed. It did the trick for me. The cramp was gone, and I was ready to ride down UHJ.
    - The single track was more technical then I expected, and I ended up "slow crashing" twice. I'm glad I lowered my seat at the top.
    - Once I made it to the bottom of HJ in about 6:00:00, I knew that I was done. I got a great rush of adrenaline, and I felt like I was flying in the last stretch.
    - I ended up finishing in 6:18.
    - Now I (think that I) know what it will take to get ready for VQ. Will I be able to step up to the challenge? I should know by Aug.

18. JJ Holiday

JJ Holiday New Member

Love reading these reports... There are always so many awesome stories and memories being made the day of VQ/CC. Thanks to the Warriors for putting on another great event, and especially to those who did the trail work (Gene!). I really enjoyed the finish area this year. The band was a nice touch!

As for my day, I didn't have the best ride. After 3 years of CC, I opted for my first VQ. I followed the same training program as last year and was starting to feel confident about my fitness a few weeks before the race. Then I got the flu last weekend. After spending most of the week in bed, I only managed 2 hours of training the week two weeks before the race...not good. Determined to get back on track before Saturday, I resumed my training last week but never got my energy back. I even took Thursday off of work to rest in an effort to recharge before VQ. Anyway, I went out at my pace to finish around 6:15. I made it to the bottom of MW at about 1:50. I was not feeling good, but I figured my body might wake up and start feeling better as it's done so many times in the past. After a quick stop at AS#1, I started up MS. About a half mile up, I noticed my front tire was really low on air. Crap! I tried inflating it with a CO2 to no avail. I found a slow leak and decided my best option was to cruise back to the aid station where my wife and friends were waiting with a floor pump and tube. After 14 minutes of fiddling and I was back on my way. Mentally, the race turned into a ride for me at this point. MS was a drag. I think I even rode with my eyes closed in an effort to rest. I was completly out of energy. Then came HJ. It was blast; perhaps the best condition I've ever seen it and I rode the entire trail with a smile. I reached AS#2 and was happy to see my wife and friends again. They knew I wasn't having a great day, but I was in a much better mood at this point. My wife later told me she couldn't believe how cheery I was given how I felt. Heck, I was out riding with a ton of friends. How bad could things really be??! Oddly, I felt really good up Trabuco (I think it was the singletrack climbing after miles of fire road). WHT was a bear as expected and I regretfully passed on the burger at the top. The descent down Trabuco was a hoot too. I passed a few friends on their way up to WHT. I offered them some encouragement knowing what lie ahead of them. I finished down TCR with more energy than I could've imagined earlier in the day.

In the end, I finished with a time of 6:52 and 6:35 of ride time. After finishing 6th in the CC last year, this stung a bit at first. I learn a lot from this event each year. This year was the year to learn to accept when you're not at your personal best. I didn't have one single PR on the day, and I'm okay with that...

19. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

This was my 3rd time as a Maple Springs Support and Cheerleader and I'm always amazed and the amount of
    effort it takes for this event. Not only from the riders but their friends and family that come out to aid in this event.
    The Warrior's Society does a fantastic job in the coordination of this event and if you want to debate this statement,
    help out and volunteer with them before you speak.
    Now for the few photos I was able to take in between ringing my cow bells and filling water bottles:

Mario: the look says, "get out of my way, I gotta pee!" Even with a 2 minute trail irrigation he still turned in a great time!
    Mario.jpg

And 9er Neil after he shook off the numb hands he was ready for the next climb:
    9er Neil.jpg

Yes, 1x1 Clyde had a barley pop at the bottom of Motorway but it doesn't count 'cause it was a Bud Lite.
    And not sure what Andy is doing to Neil's back end but must have been good to stick his tongue out that far.
    Andy.jpg

And this guy, not sure who he is but I'll call him The Pusher. He gave everyone a hearty push off to get
    them started on the MS climb. His shoulder must have been sore on Sunday
    The Pusher.jpg

And then this sums up the event, mtnbikej (Jason) gets a sweet send off from the Mrs. mtnbikej as he
    sets off up the pavement.
    J&SMartin.jpg

Congrats to all that participated! :beer:

20. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I love living vicariously through these stories. Congrats to all that attempted and completed this great journey.