2012 Tomac Flint - Beginner Bike Build (Stage 2)

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by faded1004, Apr 5, 2013.

1. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    I built a tomac eli a few years ago and loved it. after enjoying it fully i let go of my last build late last year...

[​IMG]

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/workshop/14664-tomac-eli-beginner-bike-biuld-thread-here-we-go.html

I so missed hitting the trails here in socal, so i am starting up my next build. this time, after my experience with the last bike, i decided to go hard tail 29er. so far everything is going great and i am hoping to just get back on the road. i still consider myself a beginner... but now i know a little more of what i want and need from my bike.

got my frame in... and first step was to replace the headset...

[​IMG]

from the last build... i have always wanted a red headset.

[​IMG]

of course my first step was to go to "the path bike shop" and browse the take off wall. picked up a few small items like a stem and seat post. got a used handlebar and seat from another user here on str. i didn't want to buy new until i got the bike running and i can see what sizes i want. i need to go back once my main parts come in (fork and wheels)

my plan is to get shimano zee 1x10 drivetrain but with bb7 brakes. for wheels i am going to go with wtb frequency i23 wheelset. my fork is going to be the manitou tower pro 100mm. i guess that pretty much spells it out. let the fun begin! i will post pics and log as things come in... thanks for sharing in my excitement of this project.

2. bconneraz

bconneraz Member

Well, with a King headset, you're off to a great start! I enjoy building them as much as I enjoy riding them. Looking forward to the build. And am I the only one on STR that doesn't know about the "take off wall" at the path? I've gotta check that out!

3. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    actually... i forgot to mention.. last time i went in they literally only had a wall... i went in this week and wow, they expanded! the old store is now all mechanic shop floor now. i guess they took over the next door and made that into a full show room. and also the take off wall now turned into a take off room! lots of good items inside. check it out...

4. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    finally starting to get some parts in...

handle bars and seat is ready...

[​IMG]

computer came in... i love the temp feature...

[​IMG]

oh yea, gold braided lines... this should stand out!

[​IMG]

first time going tubeless... i hope it isnt' too hard... with alittle pop of red color on the wheels...

[​IMG]

and of course the wheels... can't wait to mount some tires on the new wtb hoops.

[​IMG]

i am hoping to go back to the path to look for more used parts... need cassette and pedals. oh yea, and tires... can't forget those...

5. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    just picked up some second hand tires from "1x1clyde", thank you for your kindness... i will put these to good use asap.

i am sure this will be perfect for me to start riding those easy fire roads...

[​IMG]

figured i didn't want to bump up my own thread too much so i am going to start editing and adding pics as i go...

here is my headset with the new titanium gold bolt. looks great!

[​IMG]

can't forget to match it up to this little guy... ever since i got into mountain biking... this was one of those things i have always wanted...

[​IMG]

6. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    okay, may be my parts pictures could be a little smaller? don't wanna overload...

i received in alot more of the small parts for the build. i am hoping by next week i can start the assembly.

i got the grips in

[​IMG]

and the shifter in

[​IMG]

the only major thing i am waiting on is the fork and the cassette. those should be prepared by next week.

7. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    oh yes, more items arrived!

i started to assemble all the small parts. here is a picture of the front brake area. BB7 calipers were rebuilt using gold titanium bolts.

[​IMG]

here is the rear brake area... again with all gold titanium bolts. looks really nice with the black calipers.

[​IMG]

here is the cassette side. but i didnt' get in my cassette yet. i can't decide against the red chain ring or the gold ones. choices, choices, choices...

[​IMG]

here are some of the parts on the handle bar. saint shifter with the avid ti levers. i really like how the gold lines sparkle in the sun. don't mind my super long steerer tube, i didn't get it cut yet. i am just mocking everything up.

[​IMG]

8. eatsrice91

eatsrice91 NoMoSoCal

Yes
    Coming together well! :clap:

9. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    placement of items on handle bar? need some basic help.

hi guys, i am trying to see how to setup my handlebar items. is there a general rule for where to place items?

1x10 so i only have 1 shifter setup.

i am under the impression that you setup the grip on the outside. then center your hand and place the brake lever at index finger placement shifter goes right on the left of it?

i setup mine straight flush. now i feel like i need to move the shifter to the left alittle (my thumb doesn't line up perfectly with shifter pad). then put the brake on the opposite side so my index can grab it with good leverage? can that be right?

[​IMG]

here is a picture just moved over? seems right but i am not sure.

[​IMG]

also need some help with the angle of the brake... it is supposed to be even parallel with your palm angle right?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Set it up however you want it.

Personally, I like my brake levers way in so that I am only catching the end of the lever with one finger.

I run Grip Shift on my geared bike, so I am limited on my setup.

Mix and match and see what you like.

11. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    Your position of index or index plus middle finger on the brake lever is more important than the shifter. Riders typically use only one or two fingers for braking. Install in this order:

Install grip.

With hand at outer edge of grip, install brake lever so only index or index with middle fit against the end of the lever. This gives best leverage and leaves max # of fingers on the grip for bike control.

Lever angle should be slightly down so that it's in a straight line with your arm, wrist, hand and fingers when seated on the bike. This gives best power to squeeze and eases fatigue.

Mount shifter in from brake so your thumb gets to it easily. It's ok to have space between any of the items.

That's about it. Hope this helps.

Pic #2 is better. Pic #3, angle is probably a bit too steep--try for a straight line to your arm, hand, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2013
  12. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    okay, cool thanks! i will try that...

13. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Most of my hard braking is when I am standing up on downs so I try to angle the levers as such.

14. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Your second pic is approximately where I set my levers. I like my levers about 3/4" - 1" from my grip so that my my pointer finger is at the end of the lever so that I have the most leverage with a single digit.

15. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    Just eyeballing the gap between inboard of grip and your brake lever clamp, about 1/2 to 2/3 of what you currently have in 2nd picture looks about right.

BTW. I'm liking them anodized bits (like the CK inset and those pedals). Post a full pic of your build when you're done.

16. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

You're not going anywhere until you clean your room. And cut the steerer tube (I think that's what it is called.) That thing looks kind of dangerous.

17. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    oh yes i will...

hahaha, i got new couch in so i was making room. but more importantly... all my bike stuff is taking over the dining table... gotta finish and clean that off before bfast! i am planning on cutting the tube today.

18. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    I never fully tighten down my levers. The theory is that in a crash you want the levers to move, not break. This also lets you play with lever angle. They shouldn't move easily, but I can move mine without loosening the bolts.

19. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    As the old Volkswagen proverb goes..."Anything adjustable will sooner or later need adjusting." I wouldn't keep them loose enough to move by hand. They'll likely end up loosening more and moving when you don't want them to. If you're worried about what happens in a crash, remember that the brake lever likely has a thinner area that is meant to be the fail-point, thereby saving the rest of the mechanism. Those Avid levers in the pics above certainly do.

20. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    yea, i usually lock things down...