Race Report 2011 Traverse

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by crispy, May 14, 2011.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yup......and 46 of those never even picked up the packet.

2. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    52! That sounds like a lot for such a nice day. I would be a proud DNS'er if the temps are in the 100's or it is raining. Looks like a DNS for me this morning. (due to rain:lol:)

Thanks WS and volunteers! It was a great day and way more mellow than VQ/CC.

3. iPhrankie

iPhrankie New Member

Lining up for Traverse I noticed everyone was pretty quiet in comparison to CC/VQ. I couldn't tell if everyone was relaxed or if everyone had their game faces on. Personally, I was right in the middle of these emotions.

My confidence was low during the week leading up to Traverse and I was psyching myself out. I trained for Traverse on the SS. During the training rides I wasn't making the times I was happy with. I was also fighting knee pain which was enough to make me consider skipping Traverse altogether. On Tuesday I decided to pull out the geared bike and find out if my leg muscles remembered how to peddle with gears. I had a good ride and decided to ride geared for Traverse. I figured I would line up, have fun and give it my best.

I made it to Beek's and Motorway in good time. However, after Motorway my knee pain kicked in. I kept adjusting my seat height but the pain wasn't going away but it got a little better. I kept pedaling but it was a mental battle trying to decide if I would head down Maple Springs or not. Along the way I saw the sweet descent of Maple Springs come into view and I forced myself not to look at it. I made it to Four Corners, got some water and headed for the peak. I didn't even think about it. I just kept going. I found some energy reserves after the second cutoff and cranked it out the rest of the way. Even passing a few riders gave me a small boost each time.

I felt good on Trabuco and even had some fun on the downhill. I reached the cheers of Keith at the bottom of Holy Jim and headed down Trabuco Creek. I switched gears, put my head down, and used all my remaining energy to have fun racing to the finish line. I reached the finish line with a time of 6:28.

Holy crap was I sore after the race!

Thanks to the Warriors and all the volunteers for a great event! You guys make these events happen and your hard work is appreciated.

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I was out getting some yard work done this morning, but it started raining, so I took a break and wrote up a bit of a race report. Yes, writing race reports is kind of dumb, but it is really neat when you do the same race year after year and look back at your previous race report's and see how your feelings have changed, or, remained the same.

My race report

The shorter version..

I started right behind the pros and jumped into the lead pack. I stuck with them until that big concrete tube and then I settled into my own pace. The low visibility played tricks on my mind because I couldn't see any riders behind me or in front of me so I just kept on pushing. I got up to the gate in like 43 or 44 minutes. I had one little mishap across the main divide where I went into a turn too fast. So, instead of washing out on the loose rock, I slammed on my brakes until I stopped, off the trail. I have a hard time judging my speed in low light conditions like that, not sure if anyone else experiences the same thing.

Continued along the main divide and hit the Motorway trail head at about 1:35. Seeing people on the course cheering you on really does help a lot. After seeing the group a top Motorway, I picked it up and kept traversing the main divide. I had never ridden this portion. Those up hills are steep. Finally, I hit 4 corners at around 2:15. Filled up with water and took off. I started to cramp here, but I think it was due to my seat height. For some reason my seat post was slipping down. So, I had to stop a few times to adjust it. The cramps would come and go for the remained of the race.

After the WHT trail head, I had two guys come and pass me. They weren't in the race, but they sure did scare me into pushing a little harder. I got to Trabuco and cautiously descended it. I didn't have my wheels set-up without tubes and didn't want a flat on that loose rocky stuff. Made it down and to Trabuco road issue free. Made it down Trabuco road and hit the finish timing tent in 4:29. Got to the park, had 3 passes through the El Pollo Loco buffet and sadly, missed out on the few cookies that they had there.

All in all, great weather and great competition. My first Traverse and 3rd ever Warrior's Society event. You can bet I will be back next year.

5. boerseun

boerseun New Member

First RR on STR...My 2nd Traverse. Rode with a friend last year and supported him through the finish...we rolled in @8:22. Decided to ride Traverse again this year and went about it solo...finished with a 6:39 incl. stopping for 20min to fix a cut sidewall with a $20 bill (all I had with me to plug the 1 inch cut)...someone (think it was Hammertime) at the finish line told me it is the best use of $20 that he could think of for the day, since it allowed to me finish the race.

Could not have asked for better weather...and more helpful volunteers (especially Tim on his dirt bike riding next/past me several times encouraging me). A fun day in the mountains...THANK YOU WARRIORS!

Splits 0:58 to Beeks, 2:29 to MW (incl 20min fixing sidewall cut), 3:26 to 4C, 4:26 to peak, 4:36 to LHJ, 5:53 to Trabucco, Total time : 6:39.

I plan to be back next year, hoping to do a race without a mechanical.

6. OTB_again

OTB_again Hophead

Wireless site development
    For this year’s Traverse, I decided to work support and was assigned to the checkpoint at the top of Trabuco. My plan was to ride up in the morning, support riders and make sure everyone was accounted for as we were the final checkpoint, and then sag the last rider down Trabuco and to the finish.

I parked near the finish line in O’Neill at 6:30am, and began suiting up only to realize I’d left my pack at home. I thought I was being smart by stashing it in my garage fridge to keep my water cold, but I forgot to leave myself a reminder note to grab it on my way out. It had my lunch, water, tools, and extra clothes in it…oh well, I figured I could make it up on one bottle and wing it the rest of the day.

Pedaling up Trabuco Creek Road and then up the Trabuco singletrack, I reached the West Horsethief split and decided to access Main Divide via WHT. That would give me a chance to hang out with WS buddies Chipster and Josh, who were manning the WHT checkpoint. The HAB up WHT wasn’t bad and there were some great early morning views to enjoy.

Santiago Peak amidst the morning clouds
    101_0975.JPG

Yeager Mesa looking very green still
    101_0976.JPG

Once I reached the top of WHT, Josh was manning the CB radio communications and Chip and I listened in to reports from all over the course. One rider had crashed on Main Divide somewhere between Beeks and Motorway, and reportedly split his helmet and had a dislocated shoulder. It was pretty exciting listening to the various reports of the lead rider wearing #173, Tinker, as he blazed past the checkpoints. The times he was turning were jaw-dropping and we got the updates that had reached 4 Corners in 1:56, and crested the Peak in something like 2:30. At that pace I knew it wouldn’t be long until we saw him dropping down Main Divide, heading toward us. I figured I couldn’t get over to the top of Trabuco before him, so I waited for him to come through, which only took a few more minutes.

Tinker blazes thru WHT and asks for directions…
    [video=youtube;UynePuaFGbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UynePuaFGbc[/video]

Only a few minutes later, local legend and all-around good guy Doug Andrews came flying thru, looking good and riding strong.

Doug was on us so fast, I barely got my camera out.
    101_0983.JPG

After Doug came through, I decided I’d head over to Trabuco. I said goodbye to Chip and Josh, and started pedaling hard, knowing I would be caught but hoping to hold off whoever was in the #3 spot for as long as possible. I figured it would be Manny, and after looking over my shoulder for a mile or so, sure enough, I saw him gaining on me quickly. I hopped off my bike and snapped a picture as he charged by.

The only time I ever get to ride with Manny…
    101_0984.JPG

I pushed hard and tried to keep him in sight as long as I could, and managed to maintain a gap until the last climb to the top of Trabuco.

Manny guns it on the last climb.
    101_0985.JPG

By the time I could see the top of Trabuco, Manny had already made the right turn and was gone. I set up shop with the HAM radio guys, Bill Hines and Dave Zander, and started checking off riders. Dave gave me a burger, which was great since my lunch was sitting back at home.

Danny Munoz aka Hammertime in the #4 spot
    101_0986.JPG

Mario Correa aka mp3 in 5th
    101_0987.JPG

Allan Laframboise in 6th overall
    101_0988.JPG

ChrisB in 7th overall
    101_0989.JPG

Bill Lenhart in 8th overall
    101_0990.JPG

WS stud Mike Caffrey aka MCAFS in 9th overall, won his division
    101_0991.JPG

Theo Posch
    101_0992.JPG

Johnny Dalton
    101_0993.JPG

It was a lot of fun seeing all the riders come through, in varying states of mind and physical condition. Some just wanted to turn right and get to the finish, others wanted to take a break, grab some water, and chat a bit. I found myself wishing I was a race participant, and will probably add the Traverse to next year’s event calendar. Still, it was a blast working support on a beautiful day with ideal temperatures for spending hour upon hour on Main Divide.

After several hours, we received word that the final riders were being swept toward us. I began gearing up in order to take over the sweep. The final rider started down Trabuco, and told me he’d never ridden the trail before. I told him I’d be right behind him, and just take it easy and enjoy the downhill. I said good bye to the other WS members that were breaking down our station and started the descent. Almost immediately, I noticed my front end felt squirrely and getting off the bike to check it out, realized that I had about 15lbs of air in the front tire. I knew that if it went flat, I’d be screwed, as my pump and spare tube were in my pack at home. The prospect of having to walk the remaining 9 miles was stressing me out, and the final rider, Andrew Walker, was long gone…there was no one to help me.

I finessed it all the way down to the creek crossing, where I caught Andrew and borrowed his pump. Whew, I was relieved. Andrew and I rode out the Trabuco singletrack, and enjoyed a nice conversation. His brother, Cilanto13, had talked him into riding the event, and Andrew told me he lives in Utah, didn’t know the local trails, and due to the wet winter, only had about 30 total training miles under his belt. Completing the Traverse under those circumstances is a mighty feat, and Andrew was recognized on the podium as the final (not last!) finisher. The effort and determination that everyone puts in to finish is remarkable; and I’m most blown away by those riders that really push through a lot of adversity, when quitting would be the easier option.

At the finish, many of the top finishers were still hanging out, receiving their trophies and prize money. I was able to take advantage of a photo op with Tinker and Manny.

Two fassssst guys...and one...guy
    tinker_manny.jpg

Congrats to everyone who participated, finished, and supported the 2011 Traverse. The only downers on the day were the injuries (2 separated shoulders and a head injury, lots of Main Divide road rash, and counting), which are unfortunately going to happen, and the large amount of DNS, which is always an issue.

Hope to see everyone at the Toad Festival on June 4!

7. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    Traverse #4 for me. Had a great time. The weather was perfect, I always worry about The Traverse, I still have bad dreams about the 2008 Sahara Version.
    As we lined up in the morning, it was a noticeably small group at the briefing. Over 50 no shows?
    Much smaller then VQ. I tried to pace myself, as I have learned that I always go out too hard and pay at the end of a big ride.
    Kept a nice 55 minute pace up to Beeks, and felt pretty good most of the way. I had a catastrophic sidewall tear about 2miles from Santiago Peak, luckily I brought along an extra tire, yes tire, for the first time EVER due to warnings that my S-works Renegade 29er is in great danger in the Santa Anas. It paid off.
    I kept my tire change to 8 minutes, then went nonstop the rest of the way. I have a tendency to descend slow on the main divide, its just too loose for my taste. I saw 4 people wipe out in front of me after they blasted past me. One guy seemed like he dislocated his shoulder when I came up on him.
    My goal was 6 hours this year, and I knew while descending Trabuco that it was going to be real close. By the model airport, I thought I was not going to make it, but I ended up stopping the clock at 5:59:58
    It doesn't get much closer then that. My real accomplishment and what I have been thinking about since yesterday is the fact that my 2008 Traverse was a DNF, 2009- 8:31, 2010-6:35 and this year was 5:59 with a flat repair.
    See you at VQ 2012.

8. mtnbikej

9. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I joined Hotchkiss' group on the Cowbell ride up Maple to 4C. I carried up 4 PBR's to offer beer handups to racers. Even with the beer, it was my best time up Maple by about ten minutes. (Still slow, though). On the way up, my friend Dave went by me on his CX bike.
    It was a very nice day up there. It did seem that there weren't a lot of riders; seeing the 50+ DNS fits what I saw.
    I did get one taker on the beer handup. Mike McMahon drank nearly a full one at 4C. Made the effort of carrying them up all worth it.
    We did some cheering and some chatting while watching racers go by. Saw that a few had gone down, some doing better than others. Seemed like 10 or so pulled the plug and headed down Maple. After the cutoff time passed we headed down, back to the cars. My friend Dave had gone back a little earlier. I wonder how his descent went on the CX.
    I had a good time, but for some reason was much more sore after the ride and even today than I normally am after a Maple ride.

10. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

You were like the energizer bunny you just kept going. Nice ridding with you thanks for keeping me going.

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Let me guess what happened to the 3 extra PBR's. :lol:

12. JohnnyDalton

JohnnyDalton New Member

Here's an update for you. In what will go down in Team Velocity lore as the great PBR Debacle, Mike was later quoted saying, "Uh, I am not feeling that great. It must be the PBR and that maple bar I ate."

Also, poor Dave blew up his rim descending Maple Springs road. I think he's still hoofing it down the hill.

13. nstilwell

nstilwell New Member

Nice job out there Nicolaas! Sounds like an interesting way to fix a cut sidewall...I'll have to remember that one :)

14. Singular

Singular Happy is single & speedin

Web Designer
    Did anyone notice those hot "Chicks" in short "Shorts!" that where hiking there way up Trabuco trail? Was it hallucinations! or can someone give me more "INSIGHT" hahaha!

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I only saw a couple of guys heading up when I was going down. They were fully clothed when I saw them.

:?:

16. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    My day was just miserable. I had a pretty demoralizing 4 days leading up to the race with fevers, profuse sweating, and a throat so sore that I simply could not hydrate enough to compensate for the fever sweating, let alone prepping for Traverse.

The evening before the race I started to feel on the upswing and did everything I could to carb and hydro load last minute.

Race day: I was crushing it, all things considering. Beeks :48, Motorway 1:45, and I still had a lot left in the tank, knowing that I had blown too much of my energy reserves by Motorway in previous years. I was keeping my water/salt/electrolyte intake in check, and all was right in the world....

Then about 10 min after motorway, I crashed pretty hard. Loose rocky stuff is unforgiving and if you get even a little out of line, there is no turning back in. I went down fairly fast, but managed to roll properly. Lots of minor dings and cuts, but overall ok. I was shaken up, but got back on and kept on truckin. I felt, however, like the adreline released in the crash kind of messed with my internal chemistry. Felt a bit more tired, etc.

Then about 10 min after that, another fast crash. My bike started wandering to the outer side of the trail and into a slight scooped-rut. Unfortunately, the rut ended with a curb-style rock and a thick bush protruding into the trail. I went flying and rolled over a gnarly rock or 2. More cuts. Felt like I broke my hip. Tried to get up and was stuck in a half push-up position for about 60 seconds, wondering why my body wasnt responding. Finally I got up, checked for stitch-worthy cuts (none, all were fairly superficial, the plentiful) and broken bones. Got back on the bike. Crazy leg pain from my hip impact, but the pain didnt affect peddle stroke.

(also, thank you to the riders who passed me. Every single one of them sincerely asked if I was OK or needed help. you're good people.)

I kept going at OK pace, but this last surge of adrenaline subsequent shock-like shaking response just completely F'd with my body chemistry. I never got my rythm back. I was doing moderately, ok and just going to be happy to finish... then I get an inch-long rip flat on Trabuco, about a minute after you emerge from the bushes. I managed to patch it up with a spent hammer gel package covering the rip, but YEEESH. Can a guy catch a break?

I managed to "place" ... but only out of default. #-o

I wanted to go for 1st, but the guy who took first in my category came out of nowhere. I think I would have still been 10 min behind him on a perfect day, so my congrats to him, bigtime.

Right now I never want to race again and hang up my bike for 2-3 months. I'm sure the ride amnesia will kick in after another 24-48 hours... who am I kidding. I'll be back. Besides, my wife thinks my cuts and bruises make me look tough. :bang:

17. mtnbikej

Main Divide this year was hard on the riders......even with the low number if riders out there, sure looked like a lot of riders came through bloodied at the finish line.

18. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I drank one and poured out two before heading down. I wasn't gonna carry the weight downhill also.
    I oftne have a beer on/after a ride - so that's not it.

Thanks for the update and the great ride. I didn't get up there in time to see you go by.
    I'd blame the maple bar.

Bummer on Dave's wheel. I didn't see him when I descended; he musta got a ride back to his car which was parked over on Jambo.

19. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I don't know who I feel worse for, the riders with the separated shoulders or the guy who ate a maple bar with a Pabst Blue Ribbon...

20. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

I had a great ride this year. We couldn't have asked for better riding weather mid-May. The cloud cover was nice for the first third of the race and the temps were absolutely perfect to keep warm legs without overheating, but cool one down once you got in a downhill section. Best yet, the bugs were wholly manageable. There was only one section going up to the peak where I fought noseeums. My brother came down from SLC (and having not trained too much apart for spinning at the gym) - I was really proud of him that he completed the race given his fitness and now having any idea how Main Divide can mess with your head.

I hadn't done the traverse before, so I wasn't sure what to expect in stringing together a bunch of segments I have done many times. And unlike Counting Coup, there is no break right in the middle to recover. So before the race, I checked Strava to get segment splits for pretty much all the segments I had done (the only one I hadn't done was upper holy jim to lower holy jim - who wants to ride down MD when you can ride down UHJ?!?). I put together what I thought was a pretty aggressive goal based on all my splits - 5:35. After doing that, I though I better also put together some "reasonable goals" that accounted better for fatigue, etc., which worked out to be well over six hours. My strategy for the race was to keep my HR avg on the uphills at around 80%-85% max.

The race started well, I felt really strong on the climb up blackstar and hit it at :55, three minutes faster than I had planned and within my planned HR. I felt great going up to Pleasant Peak, which is one of my least favorite parts of the ride and got into a nice steady rhythm all the way to Motorway. My aggressive goal had me getting into motorway at 2:00 and I hit it right on the head. The wall the is the wall and was painful, but it was nice to meet up with Mark (singlespeedrider) - we cruised into four corners at around the same time and met up with Travis who had driven up to do support (thanks Travis). Up to four corners I was five minutes behind schedule. After a quick bottle swap, I was on my way. The stop, though, had knocked me out of my rhythm, and I felt that I had no legs going up to the peak (and actually all the way to WHT). During this time, I couldn't find the legs to push my HR to my target zone and some of the time grannied it wishing I had an ultra granny gear. This part was a little frustrating, although I did ok time wise to the peak at :50. But I had lost another five minutes on my goal time.

Where I made up time was on the downhills. My frame took a beating from throwing up big chucks off main divide, and I ended up making up five minutes on the way down to lower holy jim. As I mentioned, I struggled all the up the wall. Thankfully, nobody passed me until I dabbed on the chunky section and had to push my bike up for 50 feet or so. Thereafter, I pushed as best as I could and eventually got passed by five or six riders. Kudos to those guys, but in my mind, if I have to get passed I rather it be early than getting reeled in after building a lead on somebody and then letting it get closed. On the big downhill section before the final climbs up to trabuco, I passed one guy back who wouldn't catch me for the rest of the race, and finally got into a rhythm again, dropped into a taller gear and pushed myself to my limit all the way to the Trabuco cut off. I had lost another 10 minutes on this section. When I got there, I must have looked pretty spent because the WS folks up there asked me if I was ok/cramping. I wasn't, just knowing that was the last climb trying eek every last effort out of my legs.

Trabuco down was great - I got passed by one additional rider (I don't know if he was racing or not) because he was riding like he had fresh legs. My hand got sore, but I made good time down and gate was a welcome relief. I didn't even fret about all the poison oak like I usually do down TT (with all the grime I had on my legs, I am not sure oak could have penetrated anyhow). I left everything on the line down the wash. The headwind met me like I a friend I didn't want to see, but I made up almost 10 minutes on the singletrack/wash. In the end, the finish line was a welcome sight and I finished ten minutes over the goal I thought would be a stretch to make. All things considered, I was pretty pleased with my time, but now that the pain has worn off, I wish I had tried to stay on the wheel of the guys that passed me going up to WHT. Funny how I can be happy with my time on one hand, but disappointed on the other for missing a goal I thought was a longshot to hit anyhow.

Thanks to WS for another great event. And thanks to the sweep riders who rode with my brother (OTH_again and others). Looking forward to next year (though I think I will take a few days off). See you out at OTH this summer!