2011 Tour de France/Tour Tracker (threads merged)

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by roach, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Absolutely a cleaner race is contributing to guys like Voeckler being able to hang with the big guys. Dude's got panache and people love that! I'm really hoping he or Cadel takes it.

2. XTC29er

XTC29er New Member

I did not really want to bring up the drug issue, but if you have watched the TDF for numerous years you can tell that it is just not the same. The attacks in the late 90's and early 00's where great to watch. Even the way the riders looked after crossing the finish line on a mountian top finish has changed. Voeckler held on to the yellow jersey for well longer than he should have last time around. Maybe he has a shot. Just would like to see Cadel do it, purely because he was an MTB Champion before.

3. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I agree completely.

4. dirtmistress

retired
    I agree also. It's more boring! :lol:

5. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Jens is unbelievable. Gotta love the guy. First he disappears into the bushes, goes down on his shoulder 5 minutes later, tells the camera to f-off, and ends up setting tempo for the first third of the climb (as he was supposed to do later since he was in the break). Could you imagine if he raced cross country?

6. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Okay, not going to give anything away. Someone finally tried something. I think the next couple of days is going to be much more interesting.

7. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Two people, actually... Definitely going to be interesting. Glad to see things are happening. This is going to be a Hell of a week!!!! Can you imagine the Alpine stages they're riding, combined with the 41km time trial??? What a suffer fest even to just ride that course at a comfortable pace, much less trying to attack the greatest riders in the world and ride them off your wheel so you can gain time before the time trial / the end of the Tour this weekend.... Whew... This is going to be pretty exciting.

My only regret is I only wish Wiggins, Radio Shack, etc. were all still in the mix--can you imagine another 5 or so riders all in the mix for GC? Wow--who knows what Horner would've been up to, or Levi or Kloden, Wiggins or Brakjovic, etc.

8. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    No Spoilers! BRAVO!!!!!

thor-comic.jpg

9. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Gotta love Thor. He's not winning the TDF but his energy and the spankings he's dishing out on certain stages has been impressive. Aside from his heroics, it's been a pretty dull tour, thus far. None of the contenders are attacking as they should be attacking (today was the first real attack in the mountains). Let's get-it-on, lycra boys!

10. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

It's typically like it has been. Riders are cautious in attacking until the third week. But now it's game on. I always love watching an uphill finish on Alpe d'Huez. Should be an exciting week.

11. cruzin 52s

cruzin 52s Member

The Radio shack boys seem a bit peranoid,with the big invistigation of LA trafficing PEDs,we see the true quality of this team without Allen Lim dishing up his 1200 ml oil changes.Horner wasnt able to keep the rubber side down,Levi is 20 minutes off the pace without dope LA and the boys arnt Chit.Armstrong has proven himself to be a bigger fraud than Barroid Bonds.The Schleck Brothers 1 & 2 punch has proven to be nothing more than a jab looks like Contador, Evans and Basso are the top riders this year.

12. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Evan's looks hungry this year. Not only did he hang with AC on the last hill, he grabbed time at the finish.

The WC really boosted his confidence.

13. dirtmistress

retired
    :rolleyes:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

14. dirtmistress

retired
    What I'm really digging about this Tour is that the contenders are having a very hard time shaking someone they never considered a contender!
    Tommy V. is keeping me tuned in and hoping he makes the podium! The guy is killing it out there and proving that he's a much better fighter than the Schleck brothers.
    No one expected a "nobody" to come forward and hold the jersey for so long! All the big names are focusing on each other and TV is an afterthought. Maybe they need to rethink this! Today's stage was epic! When ever I think about how I've done an epic ride, I'll remember this day.

15. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    As much as I don't like him, Contador was flying today. It looked like he was on the brink of taking time out on the rest of the contenders by using his downhilling skills?!?! Contador the Downhiller? He is also the only one really attacking on the climbs (at least so far). He also has thee most motivation to do so. We all love Voeckler but if you think about it, Contador has probably been the most aggressive rider in the last couple of days, and he will most likely need to continuing being so in order to get to Nbr1. Again, as much as I don't like him, if he is able to claw back the time lost on Voeckler and actually win the Tour, then he has, at least in my mind, proven that he is the best grand tour cyclist around today.

Thats all assuming he is doing it clean.......

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Yeah he did all that and got what? He didnt gain on a single big rival.

17. Pilas

Pilas Member

OK, he did not get time on the main rivals, but if it wasn't for Contador, the last two stages would have been as dull as the last couple of weeks. The guy has guts and is a phenomenal rider. If you are truly a cycling fan you have to be thankful that he is on the race.
    The Schleck brothers have been scared to death of Alberto Contador , and that has played beautifully into Cadel's hands.
    Unless the Australian has a bad day in the Alps, he is finally going to win a Tour de France.

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Voekler had a good long run back in 04 in yellow I believe. He's not a nobody by any means. I'm really loving this year as it's so close and everyone is working harder then ever before. Pace is through the roof as HTC, Garmin and a few other teams are setting a mean pace up front. Tomorrow I believe will be the telling stage. Phil Ligget has said this is where Contador will finally make a statement and go into yellow. I disagree and I believe Cadel will hang with him and they'll drop everyone but Cadel will not be denied. The Shlecks will crack and be with the main chase group. One more mountain top finish and after that a TT where Cadel can hold his own. I think he'll need at least 2 minutes on Contador going into the tt to win it though.

19. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

The fact that he screwed up so many times the first week is why you see that.

20. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Wow, just read today's Live Report. You guys gotta watch today. Big battle! Not a spoiler as he didn't play a big part in the day's results, but I'd like to say that Tom Danielson is tasting some sweet vindication, as is Garmin.

I complained previously that Garmin, courtesy of Vaughters, was more about talk than results. Not this Tour--despite some bad luck for Vandevelde, Millar, etc. because of crashes, they have had a great tour. And Danielson in particular--the best placed American, granted that's due in part to Horner and probably Leipheimer crashing, but he deserves a lot of credit and respect for what appears to be possibly a top 10 in his first Tour--not too shabby. And who knows tomorrow, it's Alpe D'Huez--I can't wait to watch the contenders go at it tomorrow.

I feel bad for Radio Shack, really bad, but I am very happy for Garmin and BMC--they're having a great Tour. As are other teams...