2011 Breathless Agony training rides

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by jeff^d, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    I only got in 9 miles Saturday before the wind sleet and snow forced me back inside to the stationary bike. Yesterday was a long trainer ride to nowhere as well.

Next weekend If it doesn't get below 40 and the wind is under 30 mph I'll go out if it's wet. Otherwise; it looks like an indoor session.

2. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Today I got in 71 miles and 5000 feet of climbing in Malibu.
    Oh I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to make any of you feel bad! :lol:

3. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Thanks for that Liz - you did!

I got in 15.2 miles and 268' today in 38 minutes. It's flat as hell out here in Mojave and there's not enough time to get up into the hills on a 40 minute lunch ride. I suppose I could just keep going up and over the Hwy 58 overcrossing - about 24 times in 40 minutes would net me 12 miles and 1,152'. I'm sure it would be even more exciting than riding on the sheep-shit covered Hwy 58 frontage roads:-({|=

Bet you don't see Basque shepherds on your hi-falootin Malibu Barbi rides now though - do ya?:lol:

4. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I saw Ken!

5. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Action Basque Ken set, with posable anatomically correct sheep and working crook?

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of riding the bikes at the gym or riding in the rain but I'll probably still go out local for a ride in the rain. I was thinking if it's not pouring, I'll climb up into Devore, under the freeway (Kenwood) then up to the 138 Take the 138 about a mile or so and turn unto Lone Pine Canyon RD. This take you up into Wrightwood. Then just doing a turnaround and riding back the same way. This is just an idea at this time and if the rain is heavy I won't go out but if it's just a regular rain I'll be riding something.

7. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    ^if that is on Saturday you will be in the snow, if it is on Sunday it will be clear with snow on the road. Apparently there is a chance of clearing on sunday with cold. I think I may do parts of Baldy and GMR and maybe around Bonelli stayign out of elevation. I road last sunday to shin road and it was just tooo cold. So I did local foothills in Alta Loma.

8. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

Snow starts in the shade on the side of the road right before the village going up to baldy, as of yesterday conditions looked good, wish someone would fill those lage holes in the pavement going down baldy rd... might go mark them with bright paint, with poor light I nearly bought it last week around the tunnels... terrible in the dark even with a nice light.

Glendora ridge road sounds icy in a lot of those north facing spots, but after around 11 am I think its just water, although yesterday around 11 it was barely 40 deg at the village.

Tried sunset a couple of days ago. it was a mudpit so I wouldn't recomend that to anyone unless there has been a few days of sunshine and we got a small amount of precipitation last night. Claremont as far as the loop and palmer/evey potato were nice and firm...the singletrack sections were like a bowl of rocky road that has been left out for a while... but not all of it if you don't mind getting your ride a little gritty. prolly not what people in this crew are looking for but you can get yer climb on if you don't mind loops, alternating clockwise/counter clockwise breaks it up also, and euro cafe is just a quick cruise down the street for a proper coffee and bathroom, maybe a brownie.

So what is the forecast? Also curious what you wheel obsessed peeps are using as your weather genie.

9. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I read yesterday that they're expecting snow as low as 2000-2500 feet on Saturday, so be careful out there everyone.

10. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

CWP, evey, webb, are in great condition. marshall is fine too if you like being wet and muddy. have been able to get in a couple ~4k climbs in after work this week. hit all 3 twice and you'll be close to 10k.

weather moving in this weekend, but those areas drain good.

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Well, now some news agencies are predicting snow levels to 1,000'.

12. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    I use yahoo weather, gedget weather on my desktop and noaa. Channel 11 or 9 said snow down to the santa monica mountains. I live at 2000+ or so we we will see. I imagine it may be a small ride with hills on saturday and sunday (up archibald and down archibald, up hermosa and down hermosa and up haven and down have). Not as sceanic.

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I'll probably just do the club ride. Rain or shine.

14. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    they even ride in the rain, didnt know that?

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Be careful in the rain. Think of how bad visibility is when you drive in the rain (fogged up windows, maybe your windshield wipers don't work that well). Other drivers experience that too and many of them don't look out for roadies. Also, people turning onto the road you are on may not see you coming (especially if you don't have a light on).

That being said, if I do not end up in the mountains to MTB in the snow, then I might be talked into riding down the SART (I like to stay off the roads if it is raining decently). If it isn't raining too bad (light mist and visibility isn't too bad) I could be talked into hitting the streets somewhere with not much traffic.

16. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    We could ride our MTN bikes up behind my hourse (lytle creek) to Joe Elliot and back. That is a long climb but may get tons of snow. Then again with out disk brakes it is kind of scary AND NOISY for my bike.

17. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    San Sevaine road? I'd be interested in that. Riding in the snow is not bad. Riding in the rain is miserable.

18. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    According to google maps it is Bullock Spur rd and Big Tree Truck Rd. These are the only pictures I have of the area from a few years ago.

Attached Files:

19. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Did about 7000ft ? and 92 miles yeterday (up euclid and down baldy and then up GMR and down east fork out azusa and then back home). Probably wont be riding next weekend as it is my birthday and there is a lots of snow in the mountains (= free day).
    TR: Conditions on GMR were great but all the ponding water on the north side was frozen. Going down Little GMR there were weapers in the middle of the road (straight and in turns) that were also frozen. There was also some debris on Azusa canyon but not too bad. GRR was closed but rideable although i imagine you cant tmake it accross till maybe a week or two?

20. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Thanks Loren. We did the GMR portion Sunday and only seen ice on the sides of the road.

To bad you're out this weekend. My b-day is coming up too. But I'll see you for another training ride.

Anyone else doing a longer training ride this weekend? Looks like it'll still be snow/ice over 5000' elevation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.