2011 Breathless Agony training rides

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by jeff^d, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    ^Sounds like fun but I am going to pass right now on that. As for riding Sunday is Easter so that is out for me. I will be riding Saturday for sure maybe goign up baldy and down east fork and then again in reverse (if my tire quits rubbing).

2. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

My wife and I will be doing a loop from Redlands through Yucaipa and up to Oak Glen on Saturday, then up to Forest Falls and down HWY 38 back to Redlands. Similar to our ride from a few months ago, about 55 miles and maybe 6-7k climb? Planning a bit more mellow pace, possibly stop in Oak Glen for breakfast if the group has that vibe. Anyone is welcome if interested.

3. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I was thinking of doing something similar. If anyone is interested in this, but also wants to do the jack rabbit trail part first, let me know and we can start at my house and basically ride the BA course through MoVal into Beaumont, over Oak Glen and up to Forest Falls. I'd need an early start (like when the sun rises). I'd have to be home around noon.

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    We already have planned another go to Islip saddle this Saturday, we might go ahead and do the full century ride we planned a month ago but nothing set yet. Sunday we plan on a recovery ride on GMR (slower pace as we have some slower climbers coming). This will start in Fontana and we will finish with around 70 miles with 6500'.

5. new2mtb

new2mtb I'm a newbie!

Slacking
    d^mn ill be in vegas this weekend. Id like to do climbing before BA too.. if i get back sat ill do gmr with pf if not ill just do islip in my dreams haha. have fun u guys!

6. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    So many good rides but I got to be back in Fontana by 1:30. probabley going to do the ride I posted a couple weeks back.

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Or you could ride with me. I have to be home by noon in Moreno Valley. Looking to get in the Oak Glen climb at least.

8. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    It is very tempting, you said you are doing jack rabbit as well?

9. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Possibly. I typically ride solo, so I never really make plans and just ride wherever, but if you want to ride and do Jack Rabbit, I am game.

10. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Chris you didnt happen to get a late start? I had two guys pass me on Baldy who said they were going fast to get it over with quicker. Then they passed me on GMR and said the same thing to some other people. They did the route you spoke of.

11. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    We're doing GMR tomorrow. Starting in Upland.

12. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    This is what I road today. A lot more elevation then I thought! I cant imagine what I will feel like after BA, I will need a taxi to take me home.
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/377225
    At the village on the way down and then again once I got home I noticed my calf muscles will not quite moving, still as I type this 4 hours later. Is this normal, what are they doing? I think I averaged around 13mph but I havent checked yet. This took me under 6.5 hours. So figure BA is the same distance to the top but 2200 more feet and I think I can complete this in under the 9 hour cut off? No bonking today which was great and I was even pushing it on the flat on the way back to make it in time for a egg hunt. I left around 6:15 this morning and got back at 2:15. Took a shower and then fell asleep for 30 mins. There were a ton of people on the ridge and GMR today. Two clubs rights one 40 or more and another of 15-20 plus many teams. Most everyone was going to the ski lifts i think. I probabley saw close to 60+ people today. What did everyone else do?

Next week is an easy Crusin the Conejo ride 62 miles with 4500 feet (with rock store).

13. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Mike, what time and where are you leaving from?

14. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Brents house (25th st in Upland) @ 7:30 am. Call me if you want to go but we will have a couple slower riders with us.

15. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Did you ride yesterday Mike, it looked bad in the mountains (it was misty and drizzly all day saturday)?

I just noticed somethgin while reading though the BA info, there is no SAG support or emergency? We are basically on our own until we reach each rest stop/checkpoint? I am planning on starting at 6. when is everyone else planning on starting?

16. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I did get a bit of a late start on Saturday, but I started at 6:40am, so only 10 minutes late. I don't think I told anyone I was on a time crunch, so it probably wasn't me.

As far as the BA, I don't plan on starting until about 7:00AM. I want to sleep in a bit.

17. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah, we climbed 39 to Crystal Lake on Saturday and then for dessert we climbed GMR/GRR on Sunday
    110 miles with 11,000' of climbing.

There's a lot of support on the BA ride. One year I got two flats and even before I could get my stuff out to change it SAG support was there to help me out. Both times they just gave me a new tube. With this kind of climbing they have to stay out there. Plus you'll see water drops along the way where they leave a case of bottled water on the side of the road.

We are starting at 6 am because of how slow we are. I'm trying for a pre 9 hour finish.

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Only problem starting this early is we will probably have to wait a little until the first SAG opens and we're able to sign in. But I'd rather go slow going out and save my energy for Oak Glen.

19. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    According to the wesbite anyone who needs the entire time should leave betwen 5:45-6:00
    http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyxriderinstructions.htm
    I too want to finish in under 8 hours so I am aiming for the 6am start, that will be an early arrival for RS1 but that is OK, like you said Mike OG is the big one.

20. lesper4

lesper4 Member

Project Manager
    Final week, hope it is not windy a week from now or we are screwed, unless it is a tail wind up hill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.