2010 888 RC3 EVO Problems

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by bcinlas4, Dec 20, 2009.

1. klopchock

klopchock 51/50

Engineer

really? cause i havent seen very many (actually any for that matter) negative reviews/posts about the Stage 5.....maybe I just wasnt looking in the right place.....could you kindly point some of those out? perhaps a link....?

and about it "saying Elka, so it must be good.." .....well, yep thats how great my experience with Elka products has been thus far so you are absolutely correct.....with one small exception; "if it says Elka, it must be good.....and if it isnt, they will fix it no questions asked".

2. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    Not everyone is completely thrilled with the Stage 5. I'm sure it's an awesome shock but no products are completely faultless.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=7086563&postcount=14
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=591038&highlight=elka
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=6337249&postcount=26

I digress...Back on topic. 2010 Marzocchi's. Is there anyone out who has owned one for at least 9 months? Any mechanical issues?

3. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

i say, all mechanical anything aside, suck up to the guys at marzocchi and try and get some red stanchions for it:

[​IMG]

it would look, well, unbelievable

4. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    MMMMMMMMMMMM tinitride stanchions... Ill go blue stanchions white lowers or GOLD stanchions...

Good job Ronnie, looks sick man.

5. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Ill bet the colum load kills the shaft, kyobas patent of last week on twin tube designs (nitrogen charged) gets em or the fact that they are using seals and psi to preload which will cause a bunch of stiction based on the 10lbs or so it takes to get the fork moving... CR1 tried this and theres issues Ill bet the elka unit has reliability issues right out of the gate, good for a month or 2 then leaks, seals etc... The problem is if it leaks being charged your rides over as far as damping. So stick with an open bath and have less issues or spring preload the oil on a stack in a twin tube design like some MX forks and be good...

Elka has issues including packing up on multiple high speed hits on the stage 5 shock. I sold mine 2 weeks after riding it...

Best fork implies smooth, no stiction, reliable, user serviceabe and easy to work on. All of which the elka cart doesnt fit the bill... Not hating but Id opt Avalanche cartridge, Craigs hammering out the fox 40 right now... 888s and boxxers are done and HUGE success as well as back ordered already.

And tp klopchock the oil bypass or flow port is too small for the shaft diameter on an elka and thats part of the packing up it has, its a design flaw. Bigger shaft needs bigger orofice as well as a larger resevoir. A smooth shock moves alot of oil but it has to have room for that oil for the damping to take place. IE resevoir, body and a smaller shaft so its not displacing it all right off the bat.

6. klopchock

klopchock 51/50

Engineer

since i'm no suspension expert, i wont argue about your 'diagnosis'....sounds like you know way more about the actual internals than i do....
    however riding wise, i will argue....A-since I ride the living piss outta my Stage 5 and B-I push it to it's limits.....unlike most people who just buy a high end shock, ride XC with it and then complain about it..... thats not exactly using it in it's element, ya know.
    I've personally never had the Stage 5 pack up on multiple HS hits.....never. And btw, I BEAT the living piss outta my Stage 5.

regardless, back to your quote ^ and the key word 'RELIABLE'.....hhhmmmm, guess the NEW 888 isnt exactly Rampage material....2 broken and one bent.....yeah, good job Zoke...keep up the 'quality' product.....

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Wow so you are saying you are riding the stage 5 to its limits, so are you posting from Red Bull Rampage? Glad to know your setup help up better then guys riding stuff less then 1% of mountain bikers would even think of riding let alone in the fashion those riders were riding. If a rider has to worry about a fork doing what happened at Redbull Rampage then they probably dont have to worry since they arent paying for them.

8. danlorek

danlorek New Member

didn't three of those things blow up at rampage? or two broke and one bent? not sure if they were 2010 or 2011 model years though.

could just be coincidence i guess

edit:
    oops, didn't see that was already mentioned

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I am surprised that anything survives rampage including people.

10. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    Garret Garcia?
    Is that you??

11. klopchock

klopchock 51/50

Engineer

wow, you're a bright one....... and just fyi, 2 + 2 does NOT = 7.....

12. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

:lol::lol:
    I am not the one who talked about pushing a product to its limits then mention how some forks that have taken some serious abuse for 4 days were damaged.

13. klopchock

klopchock 51/50

Engineer

apparently you missed my point......like I said, you must be one of the bright ones.....

14. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
  15. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Thats a pretty bold statement, I learned never to pop off unless you have the pop to pull it off....So that being said, you sound alot like me a few years ago. LMAO...
    Never ridden XC but thanks for implying I have cardio, LMAO... Most on here know how I feel about pedaling.

16. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Thats funny I just threaten to throttle them unless they like me, or start bribing them with industry deals. LOL
    My guess is young and full of hormones, nothing wrong with that. We were all that way at one time, some of us spent time in Juvy and jail but (oops I meant detention :D) we all seem to get it together. Hes just excited about riding and enages a bit too eagerly and defensively.

So to Klopchock no worries bro, we were all that way at one time or another. Yes the Stage 5 has issues and Patrick at Elka is a good guy knows his stuff but that still doesnt mean there arent growing pains. ALL products especially first year have issues its a fact of life, Rockshox has them, Marzocchi has them, BOS has them, its part of evolution. It starts somewhere and all the real world scenarios are impossible to play out till they actually have all the variables of riders in the real world. From there thats where the real growth starts and companies iron out the details and Customer service dictates the interaciton between the customer and the company. A good company can learn alot from its CS reps and if they give a hoot will listen and try to rectify the major issues to fix it and then on to the smaller ones...

17. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    Shout out to Klopchock! You wouldnt happen to have been picking up the stage 5 at bikebling earlier this last week with the blue SX on the back of the SUV....

18. klopchock

klopchock 51/50

Engineer
    nope, not me.

19. klopchock

klopchock 51/50

Engineer
    so are these the 2010 888 EVOs?

Picture 261 (Small).jpg Picture 269 (Small).jpg [​IMG]

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

What is your point??????

If you can do what those guys do then you may have an issue, but I only know one person who can do what they were doing.