2009 VQ/CC (vision quest/counting coupe) - Ride Reports - pics

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by aukmal, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Thanks to all the volunteers...and congrats to all the participated.

For Me its was enjoyable and uneventful (in the good sense) day...it was a beautiful day for a ride, I watered and feed my self well no cramps (maybe a bit too much water). I also did better by dressing a little less warm at the beginning but then I did not over heat on the Blackstar Climb. I saw lots of people...usually I am fairly social but I seemed to be in my own little world mostly yesterday.

I think the highlights of the day were my descending...I had a great motorway...but most impressively I rode/cleaned ~80% of UHJ and really flew down LHJ and rode/cleaned several of the creek crossing.

But I am going to have to work on something more next year...last 3 years my times are less than 3 minutes apart

If I had signed up for the VQ I would have made it. I reached Aid Station 2 with ~1:30 minutes to spare within a minute or so of last years time.

I was wondering if Vickie made it her GPS failed so I was giving her time updates...she was a little ahead of me of at the Peak but I caught and passed her on LHJ. I told here to try to keep up...I knew it would be close...I really wanted her to make the cutoff, she was working hard...guess she did. cool.

So I knew that I was about ~1-2 minutes ahead of the last 2 years and I hammered on Trabuco road the last years so I guess I was going to have to hammer again...so I did.

I realized it was going to be close...but I hammered ... I just didn't want 6:46 for 3 years running...so hammered right through the finish line...then proceeded to to make a very ungraceful dismount / splat right in front of everyone...I heard the "Ohhhhh" of concern but I just started laughing....because I was so obsessed with stopping my garmin...before it said 6:46.....it said 6:45.....Damn I worked hard for that minute.

Me before the start...bad idea...saw that blue flash spot from the flash for half the way down Blackstar road. Completed negated my little LED.
    IMG_0143 s.JPG

Just call me Mr Consistency. Here is a chart of my last three CC's 1 year I climbed better but was a slower descender, this year climbed a bit slower and was a much better descender. All three finished less than 3 minutes apart. (click on it if you want to see a blowup)
    Note: If you notice the times on the left ...those are the start times...this race pretty much starts on time :)
    3Coups.jpg

2. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Dude! This is a family site ya know, so there should be no talk of tootin anybody's horn but your own. :lol:

3. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School

Can I ask what program you used, and is it compatable with a garmin, thats really interesting info you have there.

Great Job.

4. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy

SportTracks
    http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

IMO Best Free/Donate GPS software out there I use it with my 305 it supports many other GPS units as well. I donated $25 because I use it so much, I have every workout for the last 3 years in it. Then I installed one of the community developed plugins for the overlays.

5. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    More thanks...

A couple of thanks I forgot:

Seeing Neil at the top of Blackstar was great. The excitement at the starting line was great, but seeing people honking horns, ringing bells, and shouting encouragement along the way makes this a special thing. And Neil yelled at me to take my jacket off....while he was wearing his Minnesota winter parka! But who am I to argue: I dropped the jacket and rode the rest of the day in only my STR jersey on top.

And though they'll never see this, thanks to all the hikers on Holy Jim who not only yielded the trail, but also gave positive words as we went by. I got the feeling that most of them understood that something special was happening, and they added to it.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

6. richie_rich

richie_rich Dusty Dirt Devil

Home Page:
    Great Job Everyone!

This was my first VQ, I had a blast and I got my feather! :beer:

Congratulations everyone who completed the VQ or CC! I saw many friendly faces out there, some in more pain than others, but everyone looked to be having fun :bang:

Also, even if you didn't finish but started, you still get my vote for logging the training miles and putting in the work...there is no shame in not finishing, both are extremely difficult events :)

7. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Hey Rich - Nice job on VQ!

ps - Ron Jeremy would be envious of your 'stache :bang:

8. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
  9. db250f

db250f New Member

Structural repair & color restoration of motorcycl
    Thank you for sharing, I had no idea about Sanjay's abilities! What a fearless, talented rider and a truly nice guy. Sanjay dialed in my new Ellsworth @ The Path not too long ago and during VQ we met up on WHT, then he passed me. The only reason I saw him is because he started VQ at 5:50 (I believe that's the time he said.) Very admirable that he did the VQ without being signed up.

I'm on a post VQ high, and I don’t think I’m the lone addict.

My first VQ 2007: I failed to make the final cut off, cried like a baby and didn't care who saw me. 2008: made the final cut off @ the base of WHT by aprx 7 mins and cried with joy going up WHT, 2009: 3rd and final VQ (I swear!) made the cut off w/35 mins to spare. I'm not fast, but I endured and beat my last year's time by 21 mins. WHT wasn’t as sweet the 2nd time around.

2009 will be most memorable. My husband, Erik (live2mtb) did his first VQ and we shared the experience together, even though I only saw him at the start and finish (he’s too fast.) My cherished friends I suffered & trained with; Kathy & Miss Vickie (with her asthma) - VQ virgins, both finished. To witness the human spirit and raw emotion was a once in a lifetime experience I will treasure. And Danielle, the toddler amazed me with her finish time. I helped her when she was green and she returns the favor by kicking my arse. I love it!

Our buds Randy & Gene fought cramps, amongst other demons, but never quit. They even stopped to help others. They epitomize the true essence of mountain bikers.

I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all the volunteers & supporters of this gut wrenching, but glorious event. You give us that extra push within us to go a little faster, especially when you’re watching. I look forward to being one of those volunteers next year. I will actually get sleep the night before, wake up at o’dark in the morning and instead of saying, "What have I gotten myself into again?!" I will be saying, "I’m so happy I’m not suffering through VQ today." The sick thing is, a part of me will miss it.

10. Elisheva

Elisheva New Member

counterterrorism
    Wow! My first Counting Coupe! Amazing experiences and lessons learned. Overall I was impressed with the organization of this Warrior's event. Indebted to those folks who encouraged, supported and gave selflessly. I felt safe out there with lots of sweepers and personnel.

Rode a steady pace up Black Star. I was surprised how well I felt on MD to Motorway; seemed shorter this time. The views were incredible in the early morning light and I kept telling myself to 'enjoy the ride.' Descending Motorway was a blast following Stu, Nicky and Carrie.

Greeted by Trail Angels at check point #1 who refilled my camelbak and stripped lights from my bike. They offered encouraging words, support and I was off for that devilish climb up Maple Springs. I kept it in the middle ring as long as I could and turned up my iPod to "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns and Roses. I passed a few guys and kept the tunes going. Met some great riders kept me distracted on the way up. Reached Four Corners at 10:30 and sat down to rest for awhile; had lower back pain. Took off for the Peak and really struggled in this section. I just wanted the climbing over and I was in pain. I was really bored up there and alone at this point.

Went down Upper HJ (first time) not knowing what to expect. Several sketchy areas I walked and rode what I could. When I hit Lower HJ, I took off at breakneck speed to make up for time lost on UHJ. Somehow the exhaustion and desire to finish took away all fear and I rode like a wild Banshee ( in Counting Coupe spirit) towards the bottom. Missed a switchback, went OTB but quickly got up because riders were coming down and I didn't want them on top of me.... At the last creek crossing, Kevin (XHuskr) and Bob (Waldo) came up from behind. Completed water crossings and bombed down towards check point #3. I never stopped, turned onto Trabuco Creek Rd., put it in my big ring and sprinted towards the finish line with everything I had.

Big thanks to my training partners and close friends that helped me to believe I could do this. Kevin, Bob, Dan, Rich, Lety, Nan & Genny: thanks for being my support team.

I have a feather!!!

11. oneredbike

oneredbike New Member

I want to express special thanks to Douglas and Gene for their great support. In fact, my feather belongs to a special group of people that supported and believed in me. I enjoy adversity and opportunity to be challenge, but I could not have it done without them.:clap:

12. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    ok..time for my RR

What an adventure...from the moment I signed up in my classroom hoping the principal didn't walk in while I was on the cmptr8-[ to event day. Along with everyone else huge props to all the volunteers and supporters (even those with tazers#-o).

I did not sleep much at all the nite before and thought that would hurt me big time. Cruising on Santiago Canyon road to the start about 5 or six cars had to stop/slow down while 3 fire engines did some kind of patrol....not what I was looking for, but glad they were out trying to help someone. I roll into the lot and Waldo, MtnKitty, and KonaDupee had a spot saved for me. I rush as much as I can to get to the start line.

I was probably one of the last 5 to start...oops#-o Kept a steady pace all the way to Motorway and was overall happy with my time and enjoyed Motorway before refueling and seeing friends at Stage 1. Beth...I told you you could do it! MtnKitty...thnx for bringing my bag to the aide station... . Waldo...stuck in 2nd great and still rocking! Up the lovely paved section for a quick break/hydrate. I meet up with KBL (another Kevin) along the way and we encouraged each other the rest of the way...I guess that's what Kevins do?:?:. Started losing some energy near the peak so took a short break for some girl scout gookies before heading to Upper HJ where KBL and I got set for the descent....that boy has skills..two nose wheelies on UHJ!:clap:. Me....ZERO nose wheelies, but ZERO crashes. Off to lower HJ for the fun. I made it thru the area I crashed at last week, caught up with some friends and made sure others didn't succumb to fatigue near the end. Once done with HJ...some disappointment got me. When I saw OMR, I remember him saying he'd have a beer for me at the aide station:beer:, but he was out#-o. Stopped and talked to him, Jacke and a few before heading down the road for a photo and a beer! My goal was to have fun and finish...accomplished both. I came across the finish line holding a sign about how having MS didn't stop be from doing the ride...little did I know that the Warriors (thnx Gene and Sherry and all the Warriors) had already arranged for my biggest surprise of the day. I received an award of accomplishment...not sure of the exact name...was still shock of receiving one to remember. In short it was an honor to receive such an award both for myself, but for others battling Multiple Sclerosis. The bike is a wonderful tool for many reasons. My fortune cookie from the night before said I'd soon witness a miracle...this day could have been it. Thnx to all my friends there and elsewhere who pushed me along. Sorry for the long report...just very happy about the day!
    [​IMG]
    feathers for for the 1st 6 hours of OC and of course the Counting Coup...already hung on the wall with some company
    [​IMG]
    www.biketofinishms.com/teamcrash
    www.biketofinishms.com/kgaffney

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
  13. jonathan_sykes81

jonathan_sykes81 GET FORMULA

Military
    I started off strong and finished strong. Finished in 7:47 on a SS(32x20), I was plate #2. I felt good all day, everything went well, no mechanicals, stayed hydrated and fueled. Only once did I have a negative thought, and that was on the trail approaching the West Horse Thief hike-a-bike. I kept thinking,"Why has no one told me how hard the trail to get to the hard part would be?" The trail itself wasn't bad, it's just that I had already ridden 40 miles and climbed 8000 ft. The HAB is pretty brutal, but I have been running a lot of hills lately so it wasn't that bad. The people at the aid stations were nothing short of awesome. Fixing bottles for the riders, offering all the encouragement anybody could ask for, and I want to thank them again for being there. When I got to Beek's, there's Neil with a bullhorn telling me to go faster, I responded that I had 45+ miles to go, he thought for a second then yelled, "That doesn't matter!" straight into the bullhorn, it was a funny moment. The views were great as well. I couldn't help but get drawn into the sights of Baldy, and San Gorgonio, simply beautiful. I learned something new at the race too. It is possible to hydroplane a bike. I was on the road to the finish with about 3-4 miles to go(at the first water crossing on the road) and the concrete of the water crossing was apparently EXTREMELY slick as when I hit it at about 25mph the water sent my wheels out from under me so fast that I had no idea what happened. When I hit the ground I slid like I was going for home for at least 12ft. To my amazement, there was not a hole in the ass of my pants, nor was I injured. Until the event I had only ridden to Santiago Peak from Blackstar so I had no experience on the rest of the course. All I can say is,"Holy Jim is awesome!" What an amazing trail. All the hikers I ran into(not literally) were extremely cool and considerate(even when I slowed to pull over they insisted that I go first). Overall, it was a great event and I can't wait for the next one. Thanks again to all the volunteers and the Warriors Society. Special thanks go out to the four people that were at the first dirt turn on Maple Springs, just like all the other riders, they cheered for me as I went by and I told them they were awesome and they told me in their loudest voice, "YOU ARE AWESOME!!!" It was great timing as I hate the pavement and first mile of dirt on Maple Springs, very encouraging.

14. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School
    Good Report Kevin, sorry we didnt catch eachother out there. I was wiped at the finish and all i could think about was a hot tub to warm up, some food to fill the voids in my stomach and a couple beers to finish off the night.

15. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Good job, grasshopper...

I know exactly what you mean! ;)

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

We give out 2 awards at each PowWow for the most inpirational/biggest hurlde overcome/best story.

Congrats. :clap:

17. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Man I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to doing the VQ again next year!

I don't think I would have said that last night but I would do the VQ again in April if the WS put it on. Reading everyone's posts make me want to be out there pushing myself to the limit again.

Oh yeah, JimN great meeting you at the top of Trabuco. It was really cool to finally put faces to avatars and posts finally.

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I wonder what took longer, The CC or writing Davids RR.:lol:

And well get you to DH better David, Trust me.

19. davidB

davidB Active Member

alone on the way to the peak I was bored and started a build list in my head. It was at that point that I remembered that The Path closed at 4. After talking to Dean at the finish then munching on El Pollo Loco I headed there and reaffirmed some selections. :)

anywho, back to the CC, I know of a handful of STR members who right now think the CC is out of their league. I'm doing everything in my power short of harassment in order to get them to sign up next year. Like I told one of them, the other riders and people at the aid stations provide a sense of encouragement you just can't get on training rides. It was the first time there was a number plate on the front of my bike and I didn't feel the need to worry about passing others, or my time and how i ranked. A few minutes before it started, I heard "this is not a race." That couldn't have been more true and stuck with me the whole day. :)

20. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

write up complete!! check it HERE.

here is a little snippet for ya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.