2008 enduro sl expert vs. 2008 reign X1

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by goboygo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. goboygo

goboygo New Member

So what (if any major) differences are there between these two bikes? they look majorly similar and the reviews I'm reading online say great things about both...hmmmm...

Also, anyone that has either, how are they for the more down oriented rider, as opposed to a peddler? they advertise all mtn, but I'm still wondering how 'all mtn' one bike can be

2. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

In my opinion, I would go with the 08 Enduro. The Brain on the Enduro work GREAT but people have been complaining about faulty internals. If you're buying either of the two new; you can replace the internals of the Enduro e150 (if they break). Specialized, at least from what I've been hearing, has been really good about the replacement of the internals of the e150 fork. You send in your fork for a warranty repair and they A) Replace your internals with the 09 S-Works, B) Give you the 09 S-Works e150. If you're buying used, go for the Reign. Also, the Enduro has Fork-Specific Wheel-set, so if you're planning to switch out the wheel set, you won't be able to for the front end.

The Brain-Shock on the Enduro makes it super stiff for climbing up-hill without even having to flip a switch! And when you go down-hill the oil-resoviours get flooded (or something to that extent) and open up the rest of the fork travel for you. If you are more agressive downhill, then you can fine-tune the brain-shock to be less stiff. Also, you have a nice Climbing/Descending setting that slackens your bike for you.

Edit: After reading through the Specialized website; according to their 08 Enduro Expert SL Website, they warranty their Brain-Shock for 5 whole years. The Fork is mounted with a 25mm Thru-Axle; super-stiff because of the Dual-Crown design. The bike should weigh in at around 28-29 Lbs.

3. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

be different get one of these>(black) the Extreme 7 has 7" travel FR, the Extreme 6 is...well... 6" all mountain

Attached Files:

4. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    go to the path and demo a spesh! PM a friend to try a Reign...

All Mountain? = it all depends on how well you climb :D if you enjoy more on the DH get the slackest HA with low BB

If I have the pleasure of having another bike.... I'll get a Trek Remedy8 or 9... I enjoyed my buddies Remedy 8... but I cant part with my slopestyle

5. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    (delete) edit: why do I always get this double posting? :(

6. AHARDBALL

AHARDBALL New Member

Get the remedy!!! :bang: you will like it!

7. g-dub

g-dub Member

The bikes aren't quite apples/oranges, but they're maybe tangerines/oranges. Slightly different variations on the theme. Enduro will be welcome in the 3rd hour of climbing, the X1's extra frame mass pays off descending. Take your pick.

Head-to-head comparison would be Reign X1 vs. SX Trail, or Reign 0 (sans X) vs. Enduro expert.

8. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

I say go with the reign. I love mine, and it's one of the most versatile bikes I've seen. plus, you will not need to deal with any of the proprietary specialized parts should something go awry. any standardized part will fit the reign (fork, shock, etc).

it rides great for one. very fast, very smooth in fast, rougher stuff (such as any of the trails within aliso, or chutes at oaks for example). jumps quite well and is very balanced in the air. it does start getting bumpy when you hit legit DH tracks, but it is only a 6.7" bike.

very versatile as well. I worked out some rough weights, and I could build mine down to around 32lbs without sacrificing strength or rideability (assuming coming from the 6" fork), and a granny ring will get you up most climbs without too much trouble. I personally built mine to the heavy end of things, and so far it's been a bomb-proof DH rig for me at about 38 lbs at it's heaviest. anything from a 5.5" to a 7" fork (66, totem) will be covered by giant. I've been running a boxxer trouble free for awhile now and I love it as well.

basically, with a totem 2-step, a granny ring, and smart part choices (light/strong), you could build a 32-34lb bike that will climb most of the climbs around here, and still be able to keep up with DH bikes on the downhills.

my only dislike about it is the bearings do blow up quite fast if you ride it hard, and for some reason it seems to eat upper shock bushings alive. minor things IMO though.

here's a gratuitous picture of how awesome of a time you could have on one ;)
    [​IMG]

9. slayer

slayer New Member

Giant Reign X all the way. Great bike, beats the hell out of the Enduro. Dual crown fork with 150mm of travel on a bike with a 67 degree HA= Gay. I'd even go with the Haro or the Lucky 7 before I would buy a Specialized.

10. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

I like the enduro quite a bit for all the riding around here. IMO the reality is there isn't that much in this area that warrants having a bike that is mostly oriented towards the downward slope. Basically you can bomb anything south of mammoth on an AM bike with a bit of rider skill.

So if you're only going to own one bike, I'd get the spesh... if you're going to have an XC/AM rig and a gravity'ish bike get the giant.

11. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    Either bike would be a solid choice

I own a 08' S-works enduro sl. It's been a solid all arounder. from being big bear legal in every sense, to being able to feel comfortable climbing(tech and distance) on it. Mine originally came in at 27 pounds, but have since added heavier tires and the command post(adjustable on the fly seat post), and even then it comes in at 30.5 pounds. Having a dual crown fork from the factory was a big plus that it tracks very straight even in the rough sections. The suspension overall feels a little sticky in the slow suspension speed, but let it rip and the suspension comes alive!

As for climbing, the e-150 fork is great. On the left leg, there is a 1/4 turn switch that you can turn to lower the fork to a 100mm setting. It lowers the front end enough so that you can comfortably climb without the front end wanting to come off the ground, or wanting to wander.

Afgen, the enduro does NOT come with a brain shock. it has a 4 position switch that acts like a "pro-pedal" switch. The brain inertia valve systems comes on the stumpy on down in travel.

12. Drakethomas

Drakethomas New Member

Suspension tech, propulsion system tech,Space stat
    :bang::bang::bang:Get a Giant the socal rep is the original PK RIPPER. Good ole Perry Kramer.

13. klowie

klowie New Member

Can't speak for the Giant, but it looks like a great bike, probably better on the downhill than the Enduro. I have the 07 Enduro Comp. I love the bike and ride it for everything. I have an Epic for xc, but I can't stop riding my Enduro. Specialized stands by their products. They have replaced things for me for free, even after warranty, and I have had both the fork and shock rebuilt. If you don't want to deal with that though, go with the Giant.

14. mrk_d

mrk_d New Member

IMO the best would be an Enduro with Fox suspension F+R - more serviceable, less proprietary, etc.

If you can't afford that, I would get a Giant Reign (not X). I would just never buy a bike with parts on it the average shop won't stock.

15. goboygo

goboygo New Member

Thanks all for the input - I went into my local shop to test ride a reign x1 and was duly informed that they stopped recieving shipments of them in preparation for the new model year...mmmmm I think this whole thing is gonna get put on hold till I can get at one of the new ones!(hopefully) I CAN'T WAIT!!!

16. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Or you can go get a Specialized Pitch. After I got mine, it seemed like everyone got one?

Super slack Head Angle, Weighs in at only 30 Lbs, I bought my 08 one for $1900. Rocks at climbing and descending. The stock parts are already really nice. The bike will take anything you throw at it. Put a bigger fork on it and it becomes a FR Bike.

17. A D NOH

A D NOH Custom Newbie Title

Motivational Speaker for Kids
    Haha, faulty cause and effect

I was either going to get a Reign 0, Reign X0 or a Pitch Pro. From what I researched the Giants are awesome bikes. Too bad I did not come across one at a great price.

I ended up with an Enduro SL expert and am very happy.

Probably cant go wrong with any of those bikes.