2007 Bionicon Golden Willow Frameset/Fork/Stem

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by Cowgirl, Jan 28, 2008.

1. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    The demo ride is what cinched the deal for me... 3 hours up at Mammoth and I had to have one.

It's funny, last October and November, I was being asked about my bike all the time on rides. Even got stopped while at an IN and OUT with it on the bike rack and another rider was just peppering me with questions about the bike.

I bumped in to another Bionicon Edison at Brown / El Prieto, not from our club, Kanga... The younger guy was from Long Beach. So that makes 4 doing the climbs up and single track down in the San Gabes.
    $1500 with forks and shock, handlebar, equivalent stem and the Magic Button is a deal. Someone will jump on this.

2. capnsavem

capnsavem DAN THE MAN

Desk Jockey.
    i soooo want this... i just gotta talk to my wife.

she's gonna be pissed.. i'm only starting the B-17 build-

LOL@ me.

3. 1080P

1080P Banned

Kanga,

I think CrossRoss bought a Golden Willow Scandium today? That's 4 Bionicons in OTB now! :)

4. kanga

kanga Active Member

Yep, he's been test riding all sorts of bikes for the past three months, and came to the same conclusion that I did... there's no other bike capable of what they can do! He went for the 26 pound scandium GW.

For those unfamiliar or skeptical about the system, a new review of the Edison was just posted in the Feb/March MountainBikeTales. The Edison (which is my current ride) and the Golden Willow both use the same travel and geometry adjustment, though the willow is slightly lighter and more stretched out in the top tube and has a horst link rear...it's more for the aggressive XC crowd, though I know a couple of pro-racers riding GW's for super-D.

5. 1080P

1080P Banned

I would encourage people to be skeptical... Trust, but verify it with a demo ride. Imagine what it would be like if everyone (the masses) still thought the World was flat. Progress is like that.

How have your shocks and forks been holding up and what have you had to do for maintenance on them to keep them running? Are you at 8000 miles yet on your Edison?

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

BUMP :wave: :wave:

7. mtnbikej

MOving this up to the top......BUMP :wave:

8. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    Duz it cumb with any reeflektors?

9. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    So tell me about these Bionicons. What's so special about them?

10. mtnbikej

11. kanga

kanga Active Member

[youtube]E8Dl33xpkGs[/youtube]

That vid should help.... I've been riding a Bionicon for over three years if you have any questions.

12. 1FG rider

1FG rider The G is for Gear

Its a secret...
    I rode one at the Adrenaline non-event and was really impressed. Too bad I don't have the cash, cuz that's a smokin' deal.

13. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    I rode one at a previous demo event....was surprised how well it climbed and it floated downhill. A great true all mountain bike.......but I'm not looking for a bike again.....yet:-k If you're looking for a new rig...you should try it out! Good deal AND from one of the great shops in the area......

14. 1080P

1080P Banned

one word: layaway. ;)

15. epicriderat

epicriderat New Member

Self employed DME
    Just the fact that this guy is marketing his mtn bike while drinking a beer could sell me. Couldn't imagine a big brand bike Co. tainting their image with beer swilling riders. And a bike bred from goats? At least in concept.

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I was truly amazed by what I saw at the demo, the edison looks like the bike for me.

17. kanga

kanga Active Member

Andi is actually a really cool guy who comes from a snowboard freeriding background. Got to spend a night at the hoffbrau house... his home turf away from home... during interbike in Vegas. He really knows his stuff and was working on long-travel all-mountain adjustable systems back when most companies were scoffing the idea of a 6" travel bike you could actually climb. Now it's becoming the all-mountain norm. I have a lot of respect for the guy..ahead of his time for sure.

Then after the hoffbrau, hitting the double down and slamming until they kicked us out at closing....that's another story..!

But the bikes speak for themselves if you've ever ridden one. I'm on the same one after over three years... just did a two-day bikepacking trip towing 40 pounds of trailer up nearly 8,000' vert (and back down :)) this weekend, on the same bike I can go DH or XC with minimal compromise on either end of the spectrum.

I have a lot of respect for what they're accomplishing and where they're moving the industry. Fergy and Posthole, the American division, are carrying that spirit here as well and doing a great job of introducing the bikes and letting them speak for and sell themselves.

It's been a pretty sweet and versatile ride for me... :) I like the lines on the new one though...

18. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    What's the difference between that and the Edison?

19. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    From what I got the edison is more all mountain, the widow is mellow am, but more xc oriented.

20. kanga

kanga Active Member

Here's the basic stats:

Edison is 67-73 degree adjustable head tube, 6" front 5.5 rear, single pivot, shorter top tube. 29 - 31 pounds depending on components.

Golden Willow is a 68-73 deg adjustable HT, 6" front 4.7 rear horst link, longer top tube for the frame size (more stretched out for a slightly more XC position. 28 - 30 pounds depending on component sets.

Both have an adjustable stem system (Bionicon design) so you can adjust the effective cockpit length with just two 5mm allen bolts in about a minute.

All air systems, with standard X-fusion rear shocks screwed on to the Bionicon Adapter to give the adjustability.

There's also a Scandium version of the Golden willow that's same 6" x 4.7" rear, that comes in stock at 26.3 pounds (med frame). That would be an insane race machine...on my wishlist if I get back into more serious racing.

I'm going from memory and didn't go look anything up, so things may be slightly different for 2008 so check their web site for the actual specs or PM Posthole on this board. He'll have the exact numbers.

Edit: Here's the link to the specs chart: http://www.bionicon.com/standard.xml?vpID=432&SID=1203407722_145700000000005bd9ca