2 months into it, in Foothill Ranch

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nocturne1, May 19, 2009.

1. nocturne1

nocturne1 Member

Product Engineer - networking equipment
    Home Page:
    Decided a few months back that I'm missing out on some great action in the hills surrounding me - decided to finally break down and get a bike. Hadn't ridden anything in about 17 years - which was a cheap mountain bike that only saw a bit of dirt.

After talking to my neighbor and a few bike shops, I ended up getting a 2009 Rockhopper Expert 29er. I figured I might as well take advantage of any benefits a 29er could give me. :)

Ever since my first ride, I've felt like a kid again when on the bike. Primarily ride Whiting of course (love Cactus, hate Mustard), and have now hit Aliso Woods twice (and finally conquered Rock-It thanks to bikeskills). Having a blast except when I'm climbing something steep.

One of my other loves is automotive photography - you can see some of my work at www.autoworksphoto.com . If you're a car nut, and you aren't going to the weekly Cars & Coffee show in Irvine, you're missing out!

Jay

2. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Fellow newbie here! I work down the street from Whiting. Took my bike there twice, and enjoyed it immensely.

We are complete opposites. I love the challenge of Mustard. I had to walk my bike up the whole way the first time, but a week ago, I managed to ride the whole way with "only" 4 breaks. Was hanging on for dear life down Cactus though. I have never enjoyed thrill rides. That's just me.

3. Rascal

Rascal Member

Cool. I used to work in Foothill and would ride Whiting or my roadbike up in the neighborhoods (practicing sprinting up the hills) every day to let traffic go down.

Fun trails to have in your backyard.

Cool photos. I see you used to go to Crystal Cove too. I am starting to miss those days. I can't quite explain it, but the crowd at C&C has changed (and keeps changing) and I'm starting to enjoy it less.

And what's up with all the freaking dogs there now???

4. nocturne1

nocturne1 Member

Home Page:
    The last few months of Crystal Cove was miserable though - changing rules, Rent-A-Cops that thought they were god, etc. Just didn't like going there and made to feel like a criminal.

Those who are behind C&C are great, and love what they do. Yes, the event could be better (couldn't everything?), but it's still an incredible show from week-to-week. Any ho-hum day would be the event of the year anywhere else!

As the weather gets nicer, the crowds/visitors/dogs/etc come out. Guess it's not any different than the trails, eh? The good thing is, it's all cyclical - things have a way of self-correcting....

5. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    Speaking of Crystal Cove, is there an alternative to paying $10 for parking?

6. nocturne1

nocturne1 Member

Home Page:
    No clue - only been down there for the car show that used to happen, which was in the shopping area parking lot.

7. nocturne1

nocturne1 Member

Home Page:
    Woohoo! About time.... I finally cleared Mustard this morning! Yeah, it took me a while....

8. minhster

minhster DNF'd

Glad to see you're enjoying Ferrari's and Specialized's like me! :beer:

9. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

Nice work. Sounds like you are ready for the big mountain now. Lots and lots of trails up in the Santa Ana mtns. Or, for something different from Whiting give O'Neil Park a try. You can loop O'Neil with Whiting, Luge, Bell View and others for some great loops. Glad you found the passion.

10. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    :welcome:

11. snownow

snownow Too slow

You can head up newport coast, turn right on park ridge, and park near the end of the houses and access the park there. Down hill to start, up hill back to the car. At least thats what a little bird told me.