160mm vs 180mm front rotor

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by kevc, May 30, 2012.

1. strobe

strobe resident noob

Which portion of my post is "wrong"?

That my 25lb SS & 30lb Trek are fine with 180mm rotors? Their performance far surpasses my experience of using them.

That my '98 RS Sid would probably buckle under the force of a 203mm disc? The term "noodly" doesn't do it justice.

That some forks have a max rotor size? Not that many ppl abide by this, though.

That a 203 is more brake than i have required in my year of riding? I've never experienced brake fade.

Or, that i weigh 160? Ok, i usually weigh 155, but to my defense, i try to add water weight for my riding days.

2. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Your whole post is wrong

If your fork is too noodly buy a fox 36 and use a 203
    If 180mm rotors surpass your experience get more experience and then use 203's
    If your fork has a max rotor buy a fox 36 and use a 203
    If you have never experienced brake fade eat a bunch of twinkies and ride downhill faster. Once experienced buy 203's

Let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns. Thanks

3. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Classic!! I love it..

4. strobe

strobe resident noob

Actually, if anyone experiences brake fade enough to require a 203, they need to man up, let off the brakes, and lay off the twinkies. Unless you ride like Aaron Gwin, you're riding your brakes, not your bike.

If you think bigger is better, then keep paying that money. None of that equipment will make you a better rider. But, your LBS will gladly take your money for some expensive confidence. :)

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Thought you didnt like fox forks?:?:

6. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I'm a buck fifty w/o water but I'm still impressed if you are riding a rigid SS hard enough for 203's!
    Remind me not to follow you downhill. 160's on all my rides.

EDIT: Sorry, I see it was strobe, not OP running rigid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  7. proraptor

My last name is Gwin

BTW: My Magura storm SL 203's arent anymore expensive than the smaller ones. Best rotors on the market and cheap IMO So please keep buying the weight weenie rotors so I have a nice selection of 203's to choose from

8. proraptor

I cut the main air shaft 10mm and its way more linear now and actually soaks up the small stuff.....Feels mucho better.

9. strobe

strobe resident noob

Magura Storm SL's are weight weenie rotors. Thats why i run the 180's. I'm calling BS on the last name. Still not addressing the need for big forks and big brakes... too many twinkies or too much braking. Say "no" to the brakes, but, "yes" to the twinkies. That energy will help you climb the hills to bomb down ;) .

10. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    The strobe-proraptor exchange is getting interesting.. I am eagerly awaiting the next move.. :bang:

11. strobe

strobe resident noob

I simply have too much time on my hands @ work waiting for the UFC Finale to start. Maybe i should just watch some tv...

12. kevc

kevc New Member

Does stuff
    Home Page:
    Let me see if I got this:

Buy Magura 203s and more twinkies. Convert to SS rigid and haul downhill. Change last name to Gwin? :?:

I am enjoying all the input though. I will give the 180s a shot, when I get to proraptor's level I will move up to 203s

13. bing!

bing! Active Member

i had 180 front and back for 2 years. i found the rear locked too easily on steep and loose descents. tried a 160 and liked it. thats the only situation where i find it useful.

14. proraptor

The only downside to going bigger is weight penalty and the penalty you wont even notice while riding its so small between the different sized rotors. There are just too many pro's to going with 203's Im not sure why people dont run them.

If you have a locking up problem in the rear with a 203 dont grip the lever as hard - problem solved

BTW: Ive shuttled 2 times in my life. I climb for my downhill

15. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Only a year of riding experience, huh? ;)

Maybe you need to man up and learn the situations where big rotors are necessary. After only a year of riding, hardly do I think you have the riding experience or ability to make such a broad statement.

But...the reality is that everyone has different needs based on their ability and riding conditions.

16. kevc

kevc New Member

Does stuff
    Home Page:
    Like you said, the weight difference is negligible I would think. I'm not playing the weight weenie game over a couple of grams.

17. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    Just put two 203mm rotors on each wheel side on BOTH wheels. Add a parachute in the rear and problem solved.

You can ride at 300mph and stop on a dime

18. SXP

SXP Member

Electrical Engineer
    2011 Epic 29er here. 203 mm Shimano XT IceTech rotor in front, 180 mm Shimano XT IceTech rotor in the back, both lovingly squeezed by Shimano XTR Trail calipers/brakes, all this complemented by Purgatory 2.4s front AND back! Yeah, baby! Now we are talking serious stopping power! Human flying dart maneuver just waiting to happen!

Seriously though, I'm SOOOO in love with this setup. Very confidence inspiring (as long as I don't pull off the afore mentioned maneuver8-[), AND my freaking brakes don't howl anymore:clap:. Hated the Avids for that, although I had no problems with their stopping power.

203/180s is where it is.

19. strobe

strobe resident noob

Yes a bit over a year. I started ~ Feb '11. I admittedly corner like a dump truck and use enough brakes to compensate for that, yet, have never needed more than 180's. Granted, my local trails are Sycamore in Riverside, which do not have much technical to worry about. Although, i will roll through nearly every one of them except BFR. As for manning up... i ride for the enjoyment. I do not need to bomb down a hill to get a smile. I do need to be able to return home, uninjured, to see my 1 & 3 yr olds smile. I don't even try to be the fastest rider (up or down), but, also don't make ppl wait too long for me.

My 3 rides are all hardtails, 1 is rigid. Even with the need to pick lines and modulate speed, i still have no need for a bigger brake. Thats what allows me to make such a statement from experience. As for logic, the broad statement is still valid. Brakes only heat up if you are using them. Use them less, they don't get as hot. Less heat means less fade. Ride (drag) your brakes, you're going to get fade. Beat brake fade by using them for shorter periods. My riding ability does not change simple physics of heat = brake fade. My riding ability has been sufficient to never experience brake fade, though.

But, thank you for pointing out that i'm still a beginner. I thought i had already pointed that out. I also think big strong brakes for newbs can be dangerous. Newbs will think that they can ride outside of their ability because the bike has the latest & greatest. Grabs a handful of XTR brakes with a 203 rotor up front while bombing downhill in a corner... actually, even in a straight line... this is what can cause a helicopter ride to the hospital.

If big rotors where the best, every new bike would have them. I can't imagine that the weight and production cost could be so much to hinder that.

20. bing!

bing! Active Member

control is key. if you can control them, good for you. i find i can control the rear better, when they are at 160. even on the new xts.

on the new xts, i barely am using finger pressure, i dont know why id need 203s. at that point they may be too touchy for me. im only 160 pounds.