$1200 SS Project

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Jordansrealm, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Hello bike friends!

So, here's the scoop. I would like to build up a SS HT 29r for under or around $1200. Weight isn't super crucial considering the funds but it would be nice to stay under 25lbs (should be doable). In the past I have owned a GF Rig and have converted my Niner Air9 into a SS. The Rig is the best bang for your buck SS 29r out there (considering components and Fox fork) I believe but the geometry just wasn't right for me. I love the Niner geo but a One9 build would be much too pricey.

I am not considering Redline, I don't like the way their Monocog rides. I also didn't care for the GT Peace9. Bianchi made a nice SS 29r but I don't believe they are making it anymore? What bikes am I missing?

So, what would you do? I don't know much about custom 29r SS frames aside from what people post here so any help would be grand. Considering used just haven't seen anything in my size lately (18-inch).

What have you built? Thoughts/Suggestions? I definitely want a SS specific frame either dropouts or EBB. This is going to be an off season training bike to help get the legs stronger.

Please post some pics as well!

Thanks!

Jordan

2. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Jordan,

I have about that much in my scandium On-One frame. I bought a slot dropout scandal frame for ~3-400 bucks, and a 280 dollar brand new manitou minute fork from jensons. I sourced bars/cranks/drivetrain a bit at a time, and built some wheels for around 350 (hopes/DT 7.1's). I came in right about your budget.

3. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Thanks man can you send or post some pics for me? Id like to check it out. I was just looking at On-One frames they seem to be really popular right now. What kind of weight is your bike?

4. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Jordan,

I'll see if i can find a photo or 3. Mines kind of a tank with the thru axle 20mm fork LOL. BUT... steering is UBER precise and the frame doesnt mind hucking (very stiff yet compliant on the big stuff!)

i'm guessing mine is 25-26 lbs.... with 31" AL bars, stylo cranks, non tubeless wheels, thomson post, t/a fork, etc....

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    You already like Niner Geo so One-9 is the obvious choice. So many choices out there.

I would save my money a get one of the small bouquet builders weld me up one. I am really liking the curvy reto frames like this bike from Stoic Cycles.

Dean

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
  6. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Cool. Where did you purchase the frame? How does sizing compare to other bikes (like my old Rig you owned)?

7. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I built my SS for about that too think it was just over a grand, using a Soul Cycles Delinger frame(however I saved $100 getting clearance frame). Its a EBB frame. I did use old cranks, stem, bars and front bake.

8. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Good stuff Dean that's a sexy beast. If I am going to spend that kinda dough I would prob just get the Niner One9 and do it up. I sold my Ellsworth Evolve recently which is why I am justifying another bike :)

9. CVrider

CVrider New Member

I also have an On-One Inbred. Running as a 1x9. Great bike. Have another frame on the way and still trying to decide if I will keep this frame or sell it.

Purchased for build:
    On One Inbred 18"
    One One steel fork
    DT Swiss 7.1d w Hope(f)/Hadley(r)
    Blackspire Mono Veloce middle ring

rest of components off of old bike

Attached Files:

10. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

The rig was a 19" and tooo small. I bought a 21 or 22" and it fits me WAAAAY better. I bought it from Foshizzle when he was 'brokering' bulk-deals from on-one.

100mm fork is perfect on the frame.

11. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    This one is pretty sexy in green

[​IMG]

That top tube looks pretty long, its an 18-inch bike?

12. davidB

davidB Active Member

Rigid or no?

I built my One9 for exactly that budget, but had to get some screaming deals on here and MTBR. Good luck dude :)

13. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    I am going to put a Fox fork on it. I can get a really good deal with Fox through work. Thanks man I love your red bike its super sexy!

14. CVrider

CVrider New Member

15. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Jordan,

[​IMG]

Right side of picture
    [​IMG]

16. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
  17. jhardeman

jhardeman Member

Software
    On One Inbred

I also just built an On One Inbred (steel version of the scandal that Chewyeti has) with a reba and 1x9 set up and spent $1130 on it using a mixture of new and used parts. I really like how the Inbred rides. It is however a pound or so heavier than the Scandal. I posted a pic on the "show me your 29er" page.

18. CVrider

CVrider New Member

6ft.

19. N4th4n

N4th4n Its a purse..oookkkkkkaay

RESULT !! An excuse to post SS pics....coming from the Uk to the US I sort of miss them as between Sept - March, depending on where you live, in the Uk its pretty much what most people ride due to the crappy weather

The on-one frames are pretty darn good value.....I've had both the DN6 steel Inbred and 2 x Scandal's (Scandium + Alluminium...still not sure why they called it Scandal)

The DN6 Inbred was sooooooo comfy. Fully rigid I could ride it for a full day and still move my arms at dinner.

The Scandal is alos very flexy, its probably the least alluminium like frame I have ever ridden, it actually feels like steel. The faster you go the comfier it is.

DN6 here, 32:16 :

[​IMG]

Scandal 26" here....32:18

[​IMG]

The Slot Drop-outs only came on the Scandal in 2008, but before I made do with the standard vert drops and a tensioner.

[​IMG]

This Black Scandal cost about £1500 and weighed in at 18.7lbs !! (Fully rigid though!) with RC31 Ti 32:16. Mostly Ritchey WCS, SLR's XTR stoppers / crank.

[​IMG]

Sorry, (I love a blatant excuse to get the SS pics out) this has to be the best SS I've built up. The Litespeed Ti is just awesome to stare at, the welds are just perfect. Plus you could swap the drop-outs on the Obed frame, but in this pic I was saving up the £105 to buy the things, so had a tensioner on it ! This was maybe £3100 and was 18.7lbs. Rode so sweet. Swapped out the SLR's for some Chris King ISO SS hubs and 8172, awesome wheelset, sounded like a machine gun !!

[​IMG]

The first SS I had was the Rig 29er, I'm 6' and bought a 19" which just felt tiny ! But the EBB did my head in. It was pretty vocal after a few rides, mix that with the English weather and its take apart, clean and re-install every 2 - 3 rides. It was n't a brand name (Phil Wood etc) so maybe partly one of the reasons it was toilet !
    [​IMG]

Next was the Carver 96er (they don't call them 69ers). That was a nice frame, imported it to the Uk from the US actually from Bikeman. Wicked ride, but again the EBB was pants, although better than the Rig.

[​IMG]

Next was a Kona 29er. This frame was super sweet, loved the colour, and with the carbon RC29s it handled realy really well, I used to loved blasting the singletrack on this bike.

[​IMG]

20. N4th4n

N4th4n Its a purse..oookkkkkkaay

If you are around 6ft I would tend to sway for at least a 19" frame / 23" TT.

What about a lurvly steel Kona Unit 29er frame. These things are super super comfy to ride, and I personally thought the handinling was blinding !!! Awesome for $250:

http://www.bikeman.com/KON-F09UN19....utm_medium=GoogleBase&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

Comes with sliding drop outs too, so no EBB nightmares !

[​IMG]

Or waht about a Jamis Dragon. SS, 29er, Juicy 3's, 100mm Rox Shox Tora fork, $1200. 28lbs.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/hardtails/dragon/09_dragonone_spec.html

[​IMG]

Or what about the steel Haro Mary 29er. I love the look of these frames, and would love to demo one. Looks cool. These are about for under $1000. Ritchey WCS etc.[​IMG]