Ride Report 12 Hours of Temecula

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by CruIsRad!, Jun 14, 2008.

1. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    we were there too....

2. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    sorry

See I knew I'd forget some #-o

didn't your team have some solo's and a 3 person?

EDIT:I added troupe racing :)

3. Docklobster

Docklobster New Member

The bees and horse flys were crazy, I got bit all over trying to get video, then I watched a huge swarm of bees go through the dry riverbed near the start a few people looked like they got tagged right in the middle of it...

4. lukewiens

lukewiens New Member

I completed 8 laps on the day for my first 12 hour race as well. It was a brutal race and I was very happy to pull 3 more laps out of my @ss after crashing and burning from the heat. Thanks again to everyone for your RR's!!

If you are interested in yet another super long/entertaining RR I will spare those few....those of you that are interested just click on the blog link in my sig. Great race everyone!

5. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:

yes, we had 1 solo, 1 two person (finished 6th out of 10) and 1 three person (we finished 5th out of eighteen).
    we're going back for more in november. our 3 person team is also in the running for the series.

i/we also going solo for 24hr of chamberlin ranch in santa barbara...anyone else?

6. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    I read your blog entry ... way to pull it back together. :clap:

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on keeping it together in +85 degree heat. I had my own heat problem on my Saturday ride. What I found interesting is that my average HR, EPOC, and O2 consumption were spot on and well within my "normal" range. :-k

7. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    First off congrats to everyone who competed / rode.

Here is my short and not so sweet ride report... I was on a 4 man team, I lost a coin toss so I ended up going 4th which put me starting at 12:45. It was hot, the hottest I've ever ridden (I just moved out here from the midwest a year ago)... The Damn climb sucked what legs I had out of me leaving me a shell of a man for the rest of the lap.

I'll spare you the details I'm sure more than one person on here passed me when I was looking like a zombie.

It took me around 1hr 35min to finish the lap

In the end I was under conditioned for both the physical exertion and the heat. It was the worst ride of my life, and it has given me some new resolve to train harder so I can ride better / faster at the November race...

Here are some pics for identification purposes. (note the Fat Cyclist.com jersey suited me well)

I was still feeling optomistic at this point
    sand cropped.jpg

By the finish I was very happy to be DONE!!
    finish cropped.jpg

8. zerordl

zerordl Member

Journalist
    Home Page:
    Great job of holding it together.

Nutrition was the killer for me. I raced the same class as you, and by lap three I was draining 3+ bottles per lap and still feeling dry.

It seemed like most of the field disappeared around mid-day, at which point the race became about who among the rest of us had the force of will to stay in the saddle (and overcome the mechanicals).

Congrats for persevering under those conditions.

9. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Yo! Great bunch of RRs, everyone. What a great day, huh? Everyone did so great. Yeah, it was hot, but you know you loved it!! You know you did. :bang:

I've been working on the pics since I got home, but that damned Laker game got in the way of my work last night... I'll start posting pics tonight probably. I have a ton of them.

I can't believe how fast you all got this thread to four pages! Wasn't the race just yesterday!?!?! #-o

Kudos to L8 APEKS for starting this thread on Saturday night right after the races. Jeez. I was too busy drinking beer to get on STR. Mmm. Beer...

10. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    Nice report ... way to find motivation! :clap:

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I think I saw your bike, but not you! I would've commented on the jersey I think ;) (I've been reading his blog lately.)

12. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Someone has a lot of questions

Do I hear a 12 or 24 hr race in your future :-k

13. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Congrats to everyone that raced! You are truly an inspiration.

14. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

Neil was the only guy to give his weight and he was drinking a beer also..

15. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    I tried a taste of it, it sure would've helped me :lol:
    It was tasty :beer:

16. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    Oh, I don't know about that ... I raced the 12 Hours of Temecula a couple of times and I didn't like the "internal pressures" I put on myself. Probably my own personal demons ... I think that the straw that broke my first marriage's back was the pursuit of the podium and keeping the racing schedule to satisfy the sponsors.

It's all water under the bridge now and I just like to ride my bicycles and meet new bikers/friends. Plus I'm much older and in horrendous shape compared to my "hayday." :lol:

But who knows? I just retired from a long Navy career and haven't settled in on my next one yet. :-k

17. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I think I might have been able to get another lap in if:
    1. I took myself seriously, seriously:lol:
    2. laid off the New Castles and focused on proper hydration during the race, thanks Dave!:beer:
    3. Had more of Justin's Rum and Coke, that was tasty!
    4. Did not weigh 245 lbs, but I'm Hawaiian and thats the way it is!
    5. Used a camelbak, 2 bottles were pushing it for staying hydrated when it was over 100 degrees.

Honestly, I've always enjoyed pushing myself, especially being on the "larger' size, and seeing what I can do.
    Cycling in my opinion levels the playing field....I personally love shocking the sh!t ouf of the skinny guys...I know the looks I get when I put a plate on the bike and line up at hte start....you might out climb me but you had better lay off the brakes on the DH because gravity then works in my favor:bang:!

Once again, congrats to all that raced. Regardless of how you finished at least you came out and did it!

18. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    you sir are correct! Cannot wait to get the new toy!!!

19. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    Wow Sean! Look like you started quit a post going here. This is Jon from Team High Gear. L8 joined us for the 4 man race. Everything everyone else said about the heat was true. I didn't think it was quite as hot as last year though when they took temps off the trail at 107 but who knows. I was just stocked that I woke up Saturday morning not feeling totally sick. I had a real bad sore throat on Wednesday.

As Sean said we took 4th, 10 laps total. 11 was tougher this time with the extra course length. My first lap was good, took it a little easy because I wasn't really sure if I was over this cold or not. Got to the top of Damn climb in 20:40 which was about 1 minute faster then I'd ever done it before so that was cool. Bashed my derailure on the ridgeline decent and my shifting was all screwed up. Limped home, had to flip the bike twice to get the chain out from between granny and the spokes. That sucked. Pulled in from the first lap with 1:01:30 on the clock but I know it was more like 1:07 with all the stops. Cleared all the climbs except for Military. Honestly, I've never even tried. I was excited that I only got off the bike once throught the tech single track section.

The awesome bike mechanic fixed me up nicely and I went out for my 2nd lap. Damn climb was about 1 minute slower but it was really hot at this point. The rest of the course fealt faster to me. But still only pulled a 1:04. Blame it on the heat. Still not bad considering that's probably sub 1:00 on the January course which didn't have vics or the extra distance around the grass.

Brent and Dan owed me from last race (in January they both did 2 each) so they each cranked 3 and I stopped after 2 still wondering if I should be taking it easy because I was sick the day before.

I must say, you riders doing 5, 6, 9 laps, that's insane. After 3 the body starts to get a bit tired so props to you.

The raffle was cool, won a helmit, back pack, gloves, socks. 5th time at this race as a team and we finally won something.

Oh, and I passed Allison on my 2nd and last lap on the Military loop and got a "Nice Bike" outta her.

20. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Dude, you need a cape when you ride. That would be sick.

[​IMG]