"12 Hours Of Temecula #3 - November 13th - Championship Round

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ranoaclan, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    This course has more long gradual fireroad climbs where as June had shorter more techy climbs. I'm comparing Damn Climb to the Bridges climb. Damn climb is like a 12-14 minute climb from the turn but the June route probably had no climbs over 3-5 minutes. I didn't ride in June but I'm familiar with the parts of the course that were used in previous years.

2. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    My favorite courses tend to be the winter course. I love the two ridge descents and the switchback climb. The Dam Climb is really a damn climb. A more technical course suits me better. This course will actually be harder for me, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

This course does retain my favorite ridge section. There is this little ledge drop off about 3/4 of the way down I love to hit. Stay to the left, launch off the ledge, land on the right side of trail, and rail the turn. Tunnel of Love does have some great flowy turns with my favorite being the first banking left turn with the bridge at the bottom. Hit the turn with enough speed and rail the turn will carry you all the way to the top of the exit climb.

3. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I like that part too. There is also a part a little after that where you make a slight right and then you can jump over those 3 little whoops that is fun too (if you have the speed). The other ridgeline (if you go right instead of left to drop into the original ridgeline that you were talking about) has a really fun jump on it right near the beginning. You start heading down, make a left, and it is over the second hill. It shoots up just like a jump, then drops off on the other side.

4. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Thanks Jason. That looks pretty close to this eh?
    http://www.geoladders.com/enlarge.php?route=28752

I'll be out pre-riding next weekend. Dam climb, guess I better put a bigger satellite dish cog on.

5. TreeTopMike

TreeTopMike New Member

Hey Jason, is there going to be a kids race? My seven yo is ready for the rc track!

6. Jmoe29er

Jmoe29er Member

VP Music Accessories Distribution
    Home Page:
    Quick shout out to my boy Brett Elford..Mens SS 2nd place overall..... going for the win!! Best Of Luck Kid!!:bang:

7. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Hey Tree top - yes there will be a kids race. It will be at 12:00 noon at the start finish line. Since I cant race the regular 12 hr I am going to shave real close and jump on my big wheel ( green machine ) for the kids race. I better shave my legs as well!

8. TreeTopMike

TreeTopMike New Member

:lol:
    ...well, just so you know, my kid's talkin' about this pretty seriously. Wear your helmet, I don't wanna see you get hurt.:lol:

9. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    Jason,

My team wants to pre-ride this weekend, Saturday morning preferred. I assume the course will be marked. One of our riders said there is another race out there making preriding in the am not possible. Do you know if this is true.

Thanks,
    Jon

10. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Hi Jon yes there is another race going on, so I'm told. But They are located on the other side of the resort. Pre rides should be fine. The course will be getting marked this week. If there is other marks on course just follow the yello brick rd (heheh). Nah look for 12 Hr marks. My advice would be to park at the pool area or the go cart track! I will be out there getting work done so I'll see ya on the trails!
    Jason

11. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
  12. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    You will be quicker with the 29er no questions asked. :)

Consider looking for a NOS Race Face 5 bolt, 94bcd crank on fleaBay or elsewhere and pick up a 30 tooth middle ring (Salsa makes a non-ramped and Middleburn makes a ramped). I went this route and the difference helped.

Good luck out there!

13. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    Can Jason or someone from Don's Bike Shop give us a bit more information how the Bike for Bender Class will work? Registration is on site only. I am currently registered in the Solo Sport Class. How will it work if I want to continue racing solo and participate in this class? I'm sure I am missing something very obvious.

14. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

The Bike for Bender Class is not a competitve class. It is strictly for folks to donate to Rob. You can race any class and still donate to Rob. The Bender class signups are on site. What I think would be a great idea is to get a few pledges asking for cash for laps. Maybe talk to some friends and family to pledge a buck a lap and donate that to the Bender fund. The 12 Hour Race itself is making donations to Rob. Plus we have a few surprises in store to generate some more funding. We will also have the Bender bracelets available onsite with full procedes going to Rob.

15. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Jason - will there be any food vendors on site?

16. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    I saw a post from Jason somewhere on this...The resort has a deli / small store available...There are a number of food places on 79 (Temecula valley parkway) about 10 minutes away...

17. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Thanks. I knew about those already. I was thinking more along the lines of R&R Catering - Tri-Tip sandwiches and breakfast burritos.... :)

18. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    I hope there is Tri-tip sandwiches for the Jan race......

19. MTBMaven

GIS Coordinator
    I haven't seen the Trip Tip people there in a while. Might have missed them. Had one at my first race last January and it was excellent.

Got all my gear pulled together, lights and garmin are charging. Bike is basically ready to go. Changed up my Garmin screen to a 6 category screen with the following item from top down and left to right: Current Lap Time, Last Lap Time, Total Time, Heart Rate, Time of Day, Distance. Wrist watch will have a 15 minute repeating count down timer so I don't forget to drink. Will be using my custom Infinit Nutrition endurance brew for nutrition.

Solo class shooting for 9 laps. Need to average a 70 minute lap, which leave exactly 10 minutes of breaks per lap. Plan is to use one large bottle per lap, which is about 24oz water, 250 calories, 424mg sodium, 123mg potassium, 58g carbs, 4g protein. I will have all 9 bottles prepared and in a cooler to switch out each lap. I will have some small V8s and mini can of Mountain Dew if I need a boost late in the game. There are three of us dudes all racing solo class sharing the same pit, MTBMaven, Bergsteiger, and SDStumpy. Berg's and Stumpy's wives are planning to come down in the evening to help us out later in the day when we need a swift kick in the a$$ to get back out on the course. So dreading in the Dam Climb personally. Hoping I have enough lighting to get through 4 hours of racing.

In the January event I raced on a two person team. My lap times were below or just a hair above 60 minutes. It is going to be hard to keep that time up around the 70 minute mark the first half of the race but is essential for keeping my time below 70 minutes and limiting pit time to under 10 minutes in the second half of the race. Saturday will be an exercise in pacing.

I will be out there on a red Titus Racer-X 29 and a Sho-Air/VeloSport kit. Say hi when you pass me. :)

Good luck to everyone racing!

20. ranoaclan

ranoaclan New Member

Alright so check this out! We have a killer Mexican food vender coming out. They will have carne and chicken tacos, Quesadillas, and more. Plus we'll have hotdogs and burgers. Also coming out around 4 oclock will be Vail Lakes mobile beer and wine bar. They'll be on hand to share in the festivities. This is gonna be a great event! last post before I head out till Sunday. I look forward top seeing all of you in the dirt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.