Race Report 12 Hours of Temecula #3 11/13/10

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by hobie, Nov 14, 2010.

1. hobie

hobie Member

on my fourth lap i went over a little jump and the bolt that holds my rear shock broke in half! with the BB being so low i couldn't pedal. I had to run the rest of the lap with the bike. then borrow a bike which later flatted, lol and keep riding. lets just say i am way more comfortable on my bike, lol.

thanks jason for a great event! i didn't give up like i wanted to and i got 3rd! whooohoooo!!

and yes it was freakin cold! and i almost sent a few kids to the hospital along with most riders. too many kids on the road back to main camp setup.

Attached Files:

2. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

For whatever reason...I was feeling great for the first four laps, and then I starting burping my nutrition mix...same as has worked for the past year for me but doesn't taste that good coming back up....then by the middle of the 6th lap my legs starting shutting down....no cramps, just no power.

So I shut it down for 30 minutes or so to try to recover a little bit and empty out the gut of whatever wasn't digesting and went out for some more laps, but by the middle of lap 8 my drivetrain starting grinding....only pedaling forward under load and not while spinning backwards....no chainsuck, chain not dry, no rocks, teeth all in good shape, freewheel spins nice....but I wasn't about to go out on another lap and have something break in the night far from camp with the temperature dropping as fast as it was.

Gave up a little after 6pm...great fun, great course, great weather, I just wish I had a better day personally.

See ya'll in January!!

3. TreeTopMike

TreeTopMike New Member

Wow, Jason.. ..what a great event that was! The time that you've devoted to doing this has really paid off with a polished race with all of the important details covered.
    The Meadowview Mountaingoats team had 3 teams out there, ..a 4-man, a 3-man, and a 3-man single speed. Since there wasn't another 3-man ss team competing, they rode 3-man open and finished top 10. ...pretty proud of that!:bang:
    We can't wait for the January event! ..thanks again for giving Temecula such a first class race to be proud of.

4. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    Great event put on by Jason and the whole So cal Endurance bunch!...Props to the solo riders and the single speed guys...you are awesome....Anyone else see the dude in xmas pajamas on the night laps? passed him on the dam road around 7:40...it did bring some amusement to me when I was dreading the dam climb for the last time..

5. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    Our MVMG SS guys were awesome!...They would have placed 1st or 2nd in the 4 man SS category...Now those are some stud goats!

6. SDstumpy

SDstumpy New Member

Engineer
    Great race...i'm in pain now but I exceeded my expectations with 9 laps in 11.5 hrs.

7. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    On behalf of everyone that have been running the Bike for Bender events I wanted to thank Jason and his crew. I would especially like to thank everyone that came out and participated in the Bike for Bender category. I think we had 13 groups (either solo or teams). Thanks also to everyone that purchased tickets for our raffle or just made donations. Finally I would like to thank Ellsworth and Intense for donating wheels and a frame. Its great to see all the people showing support by wearing the grey wristbands that we were passing out. We raised a lot of money to support Rob and his family.

My day went well. I put together a 5 person team that was a mix of racers and casual riders. We each did two laps and called it a day some time around 7:30 or so. My two laps were a lot of fun. I ride my Intense Tracer in these races and it is a little painful on the Dam(n) climb but it makes the ridges so much more fun. I think my lap times were 57 and 58 minutes which I was pretty happy with. Even after only two laps yesterday I am a mess today.

Thanks again to everyone. (hopefully will have some pics later.)

8. BandMan

BandMan New Member

Team SPAM Musubi MashserSS!!! Ichi-ban!!!

Soo much Fun!!!
    Team "SPAM Musubi MasherSS" aka Players and Pimps!:lol:

12Hrs of Temecu (28).JPG

9. olis1

olis1 Member

Mechanical Engineer, Robotics
    The 5 Horsemen came out and took 1st in the 5 man class!

10. sc_nomad

sc_nomad New Member

engineer
    hey that's me in the center! Congrats to all and special thanks to Jason and all the organizers, support and sponsors! this was a TOUGH race...and yeah, it was cold. I think my toes are still defrosting!

RIP Robert Bender.

11. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Great event again, but man am I torn up still (Monday evening). My goal was 9 laps in Solo Sport class and I did 8 laps for 85 miles and over 10K of climbing. This was the furthest I have ever ridden a mountain bike in one ride. As usual I went a bit too hard the first lap climbing the entire Dam Climb in 30x34 rather than 22x34 like I did the rest of the race. Not smart.

Much to my surprise I started cramping really early in the race. Cramps hit on the flats while spinning on laps 3-5. Starting on lap 5 I started bringing a second bottle with coconut water for the remaining 3 laps. Laps 6-8 were cramp free and I felt pretty strong (all things considering). I liked my Infinit Nutrition mix but will lower the flavor a bit and up the electrolytes next batch. I really didn't eat any solid food all day and was not particularly hungry either.

Solo was an awesome challenge and I'm pretty sure with a bit more preparation I could do a 9th lap but I really enjoy the 2 person format so much more. I found that I was so tired that I could not enjoy the descents as much because I was so tired and had to reserve my energy for the long haul. In the 2 person class I can almost treat each lap as a sprint. I guess that is the difference between riding 60ish miles and 80+.

The Double Double with Animal Fries at In and Out after was excellent as usual. The drive back to Pasadena was not...as usual. Unfortunately I was up again at 6:30 AM for my woodworking class and on my feet all day in the workshop. No rest for the weary.

12. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Props to all the solo racers and everyone else who gave it their best on Saturday.

After taking a year off from 12 hour solos, I was convinced that we needed to put a 4-man Singlespeed team together. So BandMan, Pho'dUp, some pimp we picked up from South OC, and myself got together to form the Spam Musubi MasherSS.

It was fun yelling at everyone as they went by, as I ate my Rice Krispy treats, spam musubi and leftover Halloween candy between laps. We did better than we expected. BandMan was practically a night riding rookie. The pimp only started mountain biking 3 months ago. But after all was said and done, we finished with 11 laps some time after 8pm, good enough for the top spot on the podium. Thanks to the other 4-man SS team for keeping us motivated :)

13. SDstumpy

SDstumpy New Member

Engineer
    Nice job guys...its was nice to see a familiar face after completing a lap. Anything to keep my mind off the suffering :).

14. hobie

hobie Member

nice work! coconut water huh. havent heard of that one. sounds like it worked for you. i can't believe you went up the dam climb in 30 34!!! wow. the rest of us solo guys were spinning it out and walking even on the first lap, lol. i bet you wouldnt of cramped nearly as fast if you would taken it easy. but if you did 8 laps you are a strong rider for sure! i agree though, i enjoy the team thing more. i got real lonely out there. i was stoaked to talk to anyone who would say hi, lol

15. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Sorry if I didn't say hi. :) I could generally muster a thanks when people said good work solo but that was about it. I pretty much kept my game face on deep inside my pain cave.

Yeah coconut water seems to be the new thing these days. I read about it in some bike mag not too long ago. It now available in most grocery stores and increasing number of mini mart/liquor stores. Some brands are better than others, so if you don't like the first one you try give another brand a try. Something about it's re-hydration properties. It worked wonders for me.

16. BandMan

BandMan New Member

Wow! Didn't know there were this many STR peeps at the race. Congrats to all that attended!

Yeah, it was my second attempt at night riding since my first attempt was a crash course from Pho'd UP and Dubjay two nights before at the Luge. Here's some pictures of the event.

Start of the race

12Hrs of Temecu (5).JPG
    12Hrs of Temecu (7).JPG

Dubjay throwing down the hammer!
    12Hrs of Temecu (23).JPG

On the other end, Dubjay telling me to hurry up and throw down the Hammer!#-o
    12Hrs of Temecu (10).JPG

Pho'dUp getting his groove on!
    12Hrs of Temecu (12).JPG

Chillin' waiting for the Pimp. We need him to join STR!!!
    12Hrs of Temecu (17).JPG

The Pimp!
    12Hrs of Temecu (19).JPG

Overlooking the campsite.
    12Hrs of Temecu (14).JPG

Rigid and Single.:lol:
    12Hrs of Temecu (1).JPG

Big thanks to Pho'dUp and Dubjay for showing me the ropes and also bringing in this Endurance/Night Ride newbie to a whole new world of mountain biking:bang::clap::beer:.

17. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

That's my usual post-Vail Lake race meal...followed by a 48-oz Dr Pepper for the drive home....unfortuantely, its been eaten too many times before the awards ceremony 'cuz I never bring enough clothes to the Nov-Jan races...

18. deja vu

deja vu done dirt cheap!

great race, not sure if the weather and trail conditions could have been any better, sweet!! What a turnout, after seeing the somewhat low turnout at Hurkey in Sept. I was stoked to see so many crazy MTB'rs ready to rip it up. Plus BBQ asada, pollo, wine, brews, this is how you do it, nice work Jason and company!!

As usual I drew my inspiration from the solo riders, big props to whoever has the cojones to do that, impressive is an understatement. I'll stick to being on a team so I can partition my pain!

Yeah it was cold at night but this is November people!! :) I wound up wondering if I could put on two pairs of wool socks and still wear my shoes (answer is yes!!).

Is this the best race series around or what?? :bang:

19. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Agreed, there is definitely something awesome about this series. The other racers always seem to be courteous and enjoying themselves (in between suffering), the trails are super sweet, and the crowds are always great.

I raced on a 3-person team with a couple of Coates friends. Our division had 27 teams and we were in a tough battle all day with Don's and Topanga Creek. In the end, Don's took 1st, we took 2nd, and Topanga Creek took 3rd. I think we were only ahead of Topanga by 8-10 minutes -- their last guy came in around 8:10PM so they didn't quite have time for another lap. Our last guy came in right around 8:00PM, and we stood around the finish line debating whether any of us felt strong enough to pull a sub 1:00 night lap at 40F temperatures. Took a gamble and didn't send anybody out, fortunately we didn't need to and held onto 2nd by the skin of our teeth.

[​IMG]

Hoping to attempt my first solo 12-hour in January. Part of me thinks it'll be easier to cruise a mellow ~100 miles solo than bust out 50 miles of near-anaerobic suffering. Guess we'll find out in 2011...

20. hobie

hobie Member

i thought i would share this pic that stan from gear cyclewear took of me late in the day near the end of the course. i think it would make a cool tshirt or something. :)

can't wait for jan!

Attached Files: