Yucaipa Ridge Truck Trail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mbmnky, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mbmnky

mbmnky New Member

Engineer
    Anybody know anything about this trail? I'm not sure if it would be rideable or a hiking trail. From the little information I could find there seem to be some access issues due to private property but the only issue I see so far is that the first few miles of 1S08 that intersect this trail are owned by the Wildlands Conservancy (and you can call and get permission to pass through). So has anyone ever checked it out?

2. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Never ridden it but have eyed it on the map multiple times. On aerial photos definitely looks like a rideable fire road.

I've heard the private property issues were related to a private homeowner who wouldn't allow passage, but if it's just the Conservancy that would be good news. Would definitely be interested in an exploration trip.

3. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    If you want to take it over to Forest Falls it might be a problem. From what I have heard the property owner there is very protective of his area. He also has a roaming alarm system (aka dogs) to keep you out of there. If you just want to ride from Oak Glen to Yucaipa that shouldn't be a problem but might be best to talk the the Conservancy.

4. mbmnky

mbmnky New Member

Engineer
    It looks like there are three entry points to get to this area - The truck trail starts in Yucaipa on the west and ends in Oak Glen on the South-East. It is also intersected by 1S08 that goes down to Hwy 38 at the turnoff to Forest Falls. From some hiking websites it looks like the first 2.4 miles of 1S08 at the intersection of 38 and Forest Falls road is owned by the conservancy and you can call ahead and get access - for HIKING anyway, no idea about biking. There may definitely be other private property issues at the Yucaipa and Oak Glen entrances. I don't know how to find out though - just drive as close as I can get and see if it is blocked off?

5. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    Ride as fast as you can, and see what chases you.

6. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    A friend of mine helped out on a trail day two years ago and opened it to 4x4 USFS vehicles. They useed 1S08 from right before Forest Falls and ended in Oak Glen.
    I'm sure the storms have done some damage since, but it should be mostly rideable; I'd imagine.
    They were with rangers and had keys to gates, so access was not a problem for them.

7. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

Google Earth and you'll see the switches that lead up from behind the Edison Building on 38 right after the Ranger station. They head up to Edison lake, and you can tie into the truck trail from there. Park across the street in the Old Fish Hatchery Rd turnout area.

8. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

There are a couple of other old time hidden singletrack gems in that general vicinity too. If you put in the leg work to get up there to the truck trail you'll find them. One of them I first rode in 1989.

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Are you talking about Oak Glen Divide Trail? I have been meaning to get up there and check out what condition it is in. In researching my maps it looks to be too steep out there to be much fun.

10. nailknot

nailknot Member

destruction of material
    Woody, If you have hauled your bike up the switchbacks and the trail to where it intersects with the fireroad you are indeed Superman. I was carrying a flyrod with me and I was sweating and sucking wind big time. BTW, I didn't catch a damn thing after all that effort. We did spook a golden eagle feasting on a bunny on the way up

11. mbmnky

mbmnky New Member

Engineer
    Cool, thanks for the info. But does that mean the entrance from Yucaipa is blocked? It looks like you can pick it up from the beginning in a residential area.

12. mbmnky

mbmnky New Member

Engineer
    I think the Oak Glen Divide trail goes east from the Yucaipa Ridge Truck trail and hits some of the peaks in the range. A couple hiking sites list it as a hike/traverse generally done as a shuttle from Forest Falls/Vivian Creek Trail, hitting a few peaks, then joining up with Yucaipa Ridge Truck Trail and coming out at the junction of 38/Forest Falls road. Sounds like a rough trail :)

13. irsean

irsean New Member

fiber optic network technician
    Home Page:
    YUCAIPA RIDGE ACCESS

Much of Yucaipa Ridge is owned by the Wildlands Conservancy. The usual car shuttle route starts at Vivian Creek Trailhead and finishes at Bear Paw Preserve. Bear Paw Preserve is also a good trailhead for a simple hike to Allen Peak. You must make arrangements in advance. The following information was current as of summer of 2010. Please send any updates to the HPS Mountains Records Chair.
    1. Call Evan Welsh at (909) 790-3698. He manages the Oak Glen Preserve and Bear Paw Preserve for The Wildlands Conservancy.
    2. He sends an e-mail that contains a liability waiver form. He asked that the leaders fill, sign, and mail back their own individual forms. The leaders then turn in each participant's form to the resident at the preserve on the day of the outing.
    3. Call him back on the Friday before the hike to get the current gate code, if one wishes to park next to the bathrooms.
    http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/yucaipa.htm

14. irsean

irsean New Member

fiber optic network technician
    Home Page:
    I suggest promising a "donation" to the Conservancy from each rider.

btw: the guy on the Forest Falls side of the ridge will flat out run you over. I don't remember if you were with us that time, Woody when the guy came looking for us and we all (8 or 9 of us) had to bail with bikes over the side and lie flat until he was gone.

15. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

Lol. Don't remember that one Sean, but then again, that scenario happened a lot back in the day! Steppy, the trail I'm talking about heads north and east from Edison lake, paralleling 38. Pops out across the creek from Loch Leven.

16. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

@ Nailknot, come on...it ain't that bad! And there were are some pretty good sized bass in there at one point. @ Mnky, you have to cross Mr. Bob Ingram's property, and he doesn't take too kindly to folks on bicycles riding all the way up to his house to ride over his lawn. In fact he hates people and life in general I think.