Your Suggestions, Please

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by BobBurnes, Apr 7, 2008.

1. BobBurnes

BobBurnes Silverback Racing CEO

USAF Combat Search and Rescue
    Home Page:
    Alright...alright....that's it. I give in. I'm going to build a Dh race kit and start chasing the clock.

I've already for the forks taken care of, but I lack a frame. What I'd like to know are:

1. What are some awesome DH rigs out there that give you some serious bang for the buck?

2. Which ones to aviod and why?

Cheers, guys! I appreciate any advice you'll offer!
    Bob to the B with an E

2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I like the Canfield Jedi a lot (might be my next big bike), Giant Glory DH is probably going to be your biggest bang for the buck, Iron Horse Sunday, Intense Socom, The Specialized Demo's are great DH bikes as well but for the price I'd say just get a Sunday. Foes also has great DH bikes but they are up there in terms of price. The Foes Fly would be a fun bike. Santa Cruz has the V-10 which I really like. There are a few other bikes I'm missing, but these appeal to me the most.
    Or you can be a badass and get a Yeti 303. :)

3. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

Turner DHR :)

thats what I'm getting when i find a few grand worth of disposable income

4. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    one word "Foes"
    http://www.foesracing.com/lineup.cfm?view=dhsmono
    you might want to specifie travel8-10 inches, your budget, etc. cause every one here is really helpful and you will get all kinds of brands throne at you.

have You ridden any long travel bikes yet, if so which one's what did you like or didn't you like, etc

Any certain one in mind?

5. BobBurnes

Home Page:
    Actually, I have ridden some DH bikes. I haven't in months, but I can swap between 24" cruisers to full DH's pretty quickly.

I like the Sunday a lot. One of my favorites actually. I've ridden a few Intenses and have nothing but nice things to say about them.

6. steviebfromtheoc

steviebfromtheoc steviebfromtheoc

self employed
    I have owned 3 dh race bikes , I know you have race experience , but its always good to get out there and watch these bikes perform , everything from watching the bike's rebound , cornering , and noise , you can't get that type of review from a magazine or someone's opinion . Most of the newer bikes do not need as much travel especially racing at fontana , you want something light , right , and invest your money into a top of the line wheelset , you would be suprised how many seconds you will gain with Hope hubs for example . I presently have a turner dhr with a world cup and its sick on the hill , hope that helps

7. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    there is a big sunday following around here. Good advice from stevie b he's from the vet pro class dude that's a fast class!

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Right on, Bob!
    Before suggesting a bike, I have a few questions:
    - Where do you plan on riding it?
    - What kind of racing, if you're going racing, do you plan to do? Racing Fontana and/or somewhere else? Riding Bootleg?
    - What are you willing to compromise? Do you want big and burly and sometimes slow, or do you want something quick and fast, but not quite as safe and burly?

9. BobBurnes

Home Page:
    Actually-that really did help. Thank you very much. I don't have to worry about certain items. Wheel sets, hubs, forks, shock-those are all taken care of. But you're right-a change of wheels can really put some rubber on the ground!

For anybody else posting an idea or two about the DH race bike, please include:

Things you'd change about your current racer

Cheers!

10. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

So do I.... :bang:

Before continuing your search, you may want to ask WHERE you plan on racing this DH bike! Fontana only? Bootleg? Will it be a Mammoth bike? Will it ever see a course/trail that requires pedaling? Would you rather have a bike that rails corners or one that is intended for the BIG hits? Would 6" and 7" bikes be considered viable options for you. Just wondering..... :-k

Edit: Lee must have stolen my script! :protest:
    One second thought.. Great minds think alike! :beer:

11. BobBurnes

Home Page:
    Good questions, Lee:

1. I'll mostly be riding terrian a lot like that found in SoCal/NorCal.

2. I'd like to start with local races series' first. Fontana, Bootleg, Central Coast Series.

3. Considering my size-I'd like to go with big and burly. I like flickable, but since this will be new to me, I better go for burly and safe, then step up from there.

12. jamesdc

jamesdc New Member

no's
    foes-great frames but have to run curnutt suspension=crap
    intense socom-fro, too weak
    sunday-bad for the majority of riders but suits a few perfect

good
    turner dhr
    cannondale judge
    specialized demo
    intense m3
    giant glory

These are the majority of the dh bikes I have tried

13. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Of all the few I have tried, I would say a Sunday ( more a pure dh Bike than free ride) Or the Cove Shocker Dh as well. These are the only bikes I have rode ( pure dh) that I really liked,so my opinion is limited.

14. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Ahh yeah how could I forget the DHR. Thats a great bike as well.

15. BobBurnes

Home Page:
    Cheers, guys! This is really giving me some ideas to explore. I really apperciate it. Please, keep it coming.

16. ride hard

ride hard rocks hurt >.

I ride a kona stab, the frame's a little big for me but i like the bike. It pedals pretty well(i ride it as a xc bike a lot too) and weighs about 44-45 lbs(the 07 stab deluxe at least)

17. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    My bighit is about the same, close to 44, but it is a solid bike, just not the best choice for a true DH bike, more a free ride/ Dh bike. I would like to ride a demo 8!

18. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Bob- I am still confused. :confused: Will the new rig be a race-only bike? ...A bike doing double-duty as a weekend freeride/Mammoth bike? Does pedaling efficiency matter to you? :?:

If (I) were looking for a DH bike, I would chose one that could be pedaled up a hill (or along the "the wall") if need be. The following would be on my list...

Iron Horse Sunday- Super efficient pedaling. Plush. Great "DH" geometry. Simply the stiffest rear end of any bike I have ever ridden. No bike tracks STRAIGHTER- period!!! Geometry does not fit everyone (including myself- medium is too small... large is ehhhh not perfect). For local races (and fun rides), I would give some thought to running a 1.5" single crown fork. Feels livelier and transforms the way the bike feels- for the better!!! It is how I would build mine!

Intense Socom- While I have had NO high speed race runs on the frame, I will say the geometry feels SPOT-ON! Pedals very well! Handles well! Many STR members race them in Fontana! I am sure they will chime in! What I will say is: Intense vision for this bike was as a LIGHT DUTY DH race bike- not a HUCK bike! Says so on their current webpage.... said the same on the 2007 "version" of their website! Should merit serious consideration!

Iron Horse 7 Point (specifically an '08 model)- Great compromise between a pure DH rig and freeride beast! For '08, the geometry was improved in every way- finally!!! Biggest improvement: went to a 66.7 degree head angle! YES!!! Pedals extremely well. Single crown.. Triple.. up to you! Unlike other "DH" bikes, it can easily pedal you to the top of the mountain!!! Many STR members race them at Fontana. Once again, the '08 is MUCH improved! Great choice if you are looking for a compromise! Tani has one in stock! You may want to discuss your "options" with him regarding this bike!

Giant Reign XO- 6.7" of travel! Super low center of gravity. Even the Sunday can't rail corners like this bike! Can easily get the head angle below 67.0 degrees! Many race them at Fontana. While not a true DH bike, it will get the job done! Pedals extremely well. May be overmatched on some courses. While not my first choice, I would consider one!

Giant Glory- The 8" Big Brother of the Reign XO. May be a "better" all-around "DH" option than the Reign!

I am sure overbuilt UZZI'S and Nomad's could make "acceptable" DH rigs as well.

Again, these are *MY* opinions! You must also take into consideration: I believe DW-Link/Maestro/VPP to be superior linkages to SP/FSR/ICT etc.....

Good luck with your search... :beer:

19. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I can't help but agree. You can try mine out anytime you like. Maybe a Wilson shuttle demo is in order. PM me if interested.

20. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

I would look at the foes line up... i got a chance to ride the new fly and that bike is sick... 8 inches of travel and built solid. Some people don't like the Currnutt rear shock... I find this puzzling, IMHO it's the most plush rear shock out there..although I do admit the canecreek double barrell is nice as well.. I have a 2.1 mono, it's a small but your more then welcome to take it for a run down the mountain...