Ride Report You thought Willow was bad . . .

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BikeThePlanet, Jan 23, 2014.

1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Willow has nothing on Laguna Bowl. F that climb. That is what I get for exploring. I was looking for another way up to the ridge after stagecoach. Instead of turning right to go to Willow, I went left to the parking lot, out the backside and followed a fire road to another parking lot. After a little bit I came across a single track that dumped me out the base of T&A and dead ended. I saw tire tracks and a hole in the fence out to Laguna Canyon Road. Followed that trying not to get killed by traffic looking for Boat Canyon. Somebody mentioned it before. I wanted to get off the busy road so I saw an entrance back to LCWP . . . Laguna Bowl. BAD IDEA!!!!

There is absolutely no point to that trail. They should bulldoze that sucker. Steepest freaking "trail" I have ever been on. Tinker couldn't make it up with an electric motor. I am ranking member of the HAB Crew. I have a lot of experience pushing a bike. I struggled to push it up that hill. Made Elevator look like a walk in the park. Never, ever, ever, ever . . . again.

Only good thing . . . marine layer was wicked cool. Not used to the view except up at Four Corners on top of MS.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Attached Files:

2. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    nice pics...did you get a read on the grade?

3. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    The pics were worth the climb! Boat Canyon is a good way up if you don't mind all the pavement to get there.

4. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

How was the ride back down?

5. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I assume you returned via T and A.

6. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    Beautifl pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

It's "real" name is Tennis Courts and it has been ridden and cleaned without dabbing by quite a few people. One persons impossible is anothers challenging. There are quite a few tough climbs like that in Laguna which is why I won't put a 1x drive train on my bike.

8. scan

scan Member

occupational therapist
    Have a GPS track of the ride?

9. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I climb Laguna Bowl often. It is close to town and you never see anyone out there. I still think Big Bend is a worse climb.

It is listed as Laguna Bowl Road on the maps but many do call it tennis court because that is where it starts I have also heard it call shooting range because it is just above Laguna PD's firing range.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  10. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I started at Ridge Park, so there was no DH afterwards. :(

I was actually looking for Boat Canyon because somebody mentioned it before, but wasn't sure how to find it. I doubt I will be doing this route again. I will stick to Willow as the way back up. GPS showed average 17% grade. So, factoring the flat spots on the bit of it that went down halfway up, I'd assume over 20% on the steep sections. Actually just found that if I scrub the elevation graph on Strava it says the grade . . . 35% in spots. Gain 1,000 feet in just over a mile.

It was an a butt kicker for me and dry and dusty, so traction sucked. Even while walking I was slipping. Either way it was a nice after work birthday ride on a Wednesday. 15 miles, 2,200 feet with cool views of the marine layer. The only other part that sucked was that I lost my visor a while back and I was looking dead on into the sun on some singletrack sections and couldn't see what was coming up.