Yost Meadows: June Lake 8-7-12

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by LuvMammoth, Aug 7, 2012.

1. LuvMammoth

LuvMammoth Member

Teacher
    The first mile of this ride is brutal! I believe it was about 800 ft of climbing on some loose and rocky spots in the first mile. For me, it was a lot of hike a bike, but I am sure there are plenty who could climb the enite trail. The next 3 miles were still a bit of work but nothing crazy after that. Once you reach the meadow you realize your effort was well worht while. I wish I had brought a full lunch to sit back and enjoy the awesome view and nature at its finest. The ride back down was one of the best single tr wacks I have ever rode. The dirt was in good shape and there was only one rock we had to walk around on the way down. I have to say I would have sold my bike to first buyer on the HAB up, but I am glad there was nobody on the trail to make me an offer. The ride down makes me want to ride it again. However, I will agree with others who have posted on here I might wait awhile to do it again. SAM_4552.JPG SAM_4702.jpg SAM_4710.jpg SAM_4720.jpg SAM_4730.JPG SAM_4736.jpg SAM_4762.JPG SAM_4766.jpg SAM_4557.jpg SAM_4558.jpg SAM_4565.jpg SAM_4579.jpg SAM_4615.jpg SAM_4624.jpg SAM_4635.jpg SAM_4637.jpg SAM_4655.jpg SAM_4665.jpg SAM_4679.JPG SAM_4687.jpg

2. melster

melster Member

Software
    That made me smile. :)

3. guero

guero iFroth

You guys rule, thanks for the RR with the amazing pix. I used to camp at Gull Lake when I was younger every summer on our family vacations, the pix of the lake and of June Lake really take me back!

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Excellent ride and great pictures..thanks.

I did that route a few weeks back with one of the best climbers I know...stjunkie and the HAB King Crash Maxwell. We all agreed that very few could ride that first mile...it is way to loose to get traction. I walked a lot. The lakes up top had some of the most blood thirsty deer flies I have encounter. By the time I felt them bite and shoed them off blood was running down my leg. We did not come down they way we went up but instead used Yost Creek Creek Trail to come down. YCT trail is way steeper and technical than Yost Meadows Trail and I would warn anyone trying it to have excellent downhill skills or walk most of it.

It appears than the wilderness boundary has changed since Dave and Alison's guide book was printed in 2005 so the top of that ride is now a very stupid poach. Every time we turn our backs the wilderness is expanding cutting off another great ride.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  5. rich2k

rich2k Member

You're living the dream! Thanks for all the cool posts.

6. LuvMammoth

LuvMammoth Member

Teacher
    Dstepper, I think it was your recent post that made us want to give this ride a shot. I am not into too gnarly descents so I agree out and back from the balancing rock was a good call. STR has opened up a lot of new rides for us, so thanks to all on STR for posting RR. Special thanks to Deadweight, Rich, for showing us around all the local trails in OC and letting me know about this site.

7. Deadweight

Deadweight older, not much wiser.

Lots of cool peeps and good info on this site and I'm glad you're putting it to good use and posting some sweet RR's Mr. Mammoth Lover!

8. LuvMammoth

LuvMammoth Member

Teacher
    It only felt like I would need Mono County Rescue on the climb up.
    SAM_4773.jpg SAM_4774.jpg SAM_4589.jpg SAM_4739.jpg SAM_4751.jpg SAM_4758.jpg SAM_4601.jpg SAM_4626.jpg SAM_4736.jpg

Attached Files: