will my gf ride?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by crispy, Dec 22, 2007.

1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    So i am looking for advice from some of you guys here, maybe some help if i acn get it. The deal is, my g/f and i went out to the santa ana river trail and went on a run over there and she says that we should go ahead and do a bike ride on it too. I am all in for that, thing is, she just has this old wal-mart bike she got like 8 years ago or something like that. I want to save up some money and find her like a used road bike so we can go on rides together. She wants to ride, but whenever i bring up getting her a bike she says she doesnt want one. Anyone have a similar experience where their wife/gf wanted to ride but didnt want a bike?

Is there a good shop somewhere that I can go ahead and just rent a bike for a couple hours so that she can try and get on a road bike for a little while and she if it is something that she will just be 100% opposed to or maybe it is something she can get in to.

2. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
  3. schleppp

schleppp Active Member

Yes my wife was the same... So I just went out and bought her one. She loved it and rode all the time until our first baby showed up.

4. Evil Chocula

Evil Chocula ah buh bye now

Maybe you can get your girlfriend to ride, but then your MTBing trips will be tainted by her presence. Do what I do, and scare her into never riding a bike again ;).

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Chris, the reason she doesn't want the bike is probably she's not sure if she wants to ride yet and then if you buy her a bike she may feel obligated to ride it. She may only like to ride the shorter easier rides. Walk don't run. Take your time, and let her know the difference between a Walmart POS, and a real bike.

How tall is she? I might have a bike that you could borrow.

6. El Prieto

El Prieto New is the beggining

Dude,
    She will ask you for a new bike when the time is right. If she gets into the sport she will ask you for a "lighter" bike.
    Let her use her old bike and then when she is comfortable she will ask for a new bike.. mi $0.2

7. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    she is 5'6

8. redcheetah

redcheetah New Member

My GF wanted to try road riding after we quickly decided she was not going to mt bike (read: scared). However, she would always say "one day I will borrow a bike and try it". Well that was never going to happen so I borrowed a bike and now she is hooked. About a year after borrowing the bike, she had learned enough about the road scene that she was ready to get her own bike. We found her a bike and now she rides road waay more than me. I am actually hesitant to ride with her sometimes as I am afraid she may take me on some long ride and flog me (I get bored very quickly on the road).

Road riding has become a nice way to spend time with one another as well. Now I need to get a new bike though...it never ends.

9. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    I'm 5'6" and have a 52cm road bike she can borrow.

Duc

10. .8down

.8down Active Member

I'm kinda in the same boat, my GF snowboards, likes camping, and I know she will like casual(no nutty descents and killer climbs) mt biking. But every time I bring up building her a bike shes like I dunno, I don't want you to spend money...currently we ride our cruisers around now and then and she loves it...I think I will try to find a nice used HT for her at some point...

11. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Check this out, my GF wants to start riding. I dunno if its becasue she to spend every second with me of if she really want to do it for herself.
    Anyways long story short we went last weekend and came home a bit intoxicated and she says lets go ride bikes. So I was like ok but just a couple of laps around the block anyways she ends up clipping my tire and eats it on the asphalt.

I was such a iddiot and it could have been a lot worse. Anyways she still wants to go riding with me. I just bought her some Dakine gloves on SAC. I kinda understand about wanting to do things without your girlfriend/wife sometimes. In fact many times I ride alone just to get away from everything and everyone.

12. Pato

Computer/Networking nerd
    I have quite a few mountain bikes if you want to borrow one for her to try out. They are all small/mediums ranging from hard tails all the way up to 8" downhill bikes. Send me a PM if you ever feel like taking me up on the offer.

Duc

13. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    Sounds like she wants to ride, just doesn't want a new bike. What's wrong with that? If your bike is better than her POS, in time she'll change her tune. If you let it happen in her time, you'll be doing her a favor some day. If you push it, you'll be a nag. (thought only girls could do that!)

14. .8down

.8down Active Member

I think she might be scared that I'm building the bike!!! hahaha

15. Pato

Computer/Networking nerd
    :-k Smart girl. I would be too from what I've read in your previous posts. ;) :-s :lol:

Hope you know that I'm just kiddin with ya!

16. Scott V

Scott V Member

My wife has been riding for about two months now. She always said her old bike was fine. On one of our rides, I switched bikes with her even though my bike was too big for her. She then realized the difference between good and POS. We ended up at the bike shop shortly after and got her a lower/mid level bike. She enjoys it and actually goes out on her own now. My wife said she wanted to start riding because my sister in law expressed interest. I think it made her feel more comfortable since someone else was beginning with her.
    For trails we started riding portions of Tijeras Creek in Rancho Santa Margarita. Easy ups and downs, and tree lined single track seems to keep interest. We usually ride on Sundays in that area if anyone is interested in doing a ride and bringing gf/wife PM me.

17. .8down

.8down Active Member

I got Owned....haha, I make no boasts on my level of wrenching, and you have helped me above and beyond, you have clearance to to chop on me, like a butcher in a meat factory!!!

I think my GF is scared because I came home a few times with Cacti spines stuck into my arm, but I told her thats me, the other guys don't do that...she also thinks Im an extreme sports guy and mt biking requires a certain level of skill...although once we took our cruisers into this small tight nature trail at the HB library that kinda reminded me of a single track and I have to say maybe its best she not go....:)

18. stinkyrider

stinkyrider ....BANSHEE RIDER

burden of the state
    Don't buy the bike. If I were you I wouldn't want to risk
    throwing down big $$$ for a real bike and have it sitting in the garage collecting dust. If she says she doesn't really want it, chances are that it will go unappreciated and unused.

I would rent or demo a few times. If she likes it enough, she will spend her own money on her own bike. It'll save you some cash for your own biking hobby and she'll appreciate the bike more if she bought it with her own hard earned cash rather than an expensive present that she never wanted that was merely thrown into her lap.

Just my 2 cents.....and I'm also cheap bastard.

19. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

I have a road bike you can borrow....I have a Cannondale with mid level parts spec on it that is a size 52cm that you can try for a couple weeks so she can get a few rides in on it...I loan it to lots of couples in your exact situation...and so far...all get a new bike and love the sport! CAll Switchback Cyclery (714) 628-3913...bike is ready to roll...no charge...just let us know what pedals you would like...flats I am assuming.

20. Singletrack Angel

Singletrack Angel New Member

Hi Scott, send her to the Trail Angel ride on Sunday mornings! She might enjoy hanging with an all-girl group sometimes. The TA Sunday ride is really mellow, and since Whiting is closed we've been riding Tijeras Creek/O'Neill Park on Sundays. It's called the "Stop and Smell the Cactus" ride - beginners very welcome. Lots of fun and encouragement.

Also, when John's work schedule allows, we'll be doing more Tijeras Creek Tuesday rides, and maybe you can both come. I'll take her under my wing... I promise to be nice!