why not to ride in arizona!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Petex8, May 7, 2010.

1. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

I understand the use of brackets, hence my use of the word "insertion."

The editorializing doesn't follow logically or contextually from the information given--including it serves no purpose but to skew the quote's meaning.

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    USA Today:
    According to the Arizona Republic's story today, Phoenix-area hotels more than held their own in May and June vs. a year ago.
    Phoenix-area hotels, in fact, filled more rooms in May and June compared to a year ago by about 7% and 11%, respectively, the story says. Rates remained flat for both months vs. 2009.

[comment to the story - The Arizona hotels were filled with all the protesters coming to protest Arizonas proposed laws. Irony at it's best.] LOL

Voters?
    Gallup says 1/3 of Hispanics interviewed don't speak English so the interview is in Spanish.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    The whole thing may become moot when the State Department declares Mexico a unsafe war zone and stops returning illegals due to the risk. ICE at this time does not return Salvadorians for that reason. Truth is that it is a valid argument.

Dean

4. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    from the ny daily news:

Backlash from Arizona's new immigration law could cost the Phoenix area at least $90 million in revenue.

Four major events have been canceled and others are on the brink, as calls for a boycott grow louder in protest of a law that lets cops ask people for their citizenship papers.

For Phoenix, losing $90 million in conventions is just "the tip of the iceberg," Mayor Phil Gordon said. The law doesn't even go into effect for another 80 days, but it's already endangering the city's economy.

"I'm fielding calls even internationally now. This has taken on a worldwide life and it is going to cause irreparable damage," Gordon said, who fears layoffs.

Organizers of another 19 events have expressed concern about bringing visitors to Phoenix because of the new law, he said.

Cancellations include the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, the oldest African American Greek-lettered frat in the country, which planned to hold its annual convention in July and will now head to Las Vegas.

Statewide, the news is even worse: 23 meetings and conventions have been called off because of the immigration law, according to the Arizona Hotel & Lodging Association.

The Seattle-based Glass Art Society just backed out of bringing a 2,500-person three-day conference to Tucson in April 2011.

"Our conference was supposed to be very Latino-focused...It starts to concern us whether (participants) would be able to attend or whether they would want to," said Pamela Koss, executive director.

"A marked loss of attendees -- that would devastate us financially."

and what's your point about the gallup poll, abui? nevermind, i think i know...

5. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    This whole thing is a politicians dream come true.

Now, if we could pass a law that said we could pull your sex and marriage license at any time, and thus required people to carry them around everywhere they went, that'd constantly remind them that ahem, heterosexuals are the good and riteous and decent, and that all others are non-human scum deserving a swift kick in their candy asses.

Perhaps we could get every hot-button topic in peoples front pockets! Keep em outraged, keep em angry, keep em listening to Rush.

Keep em sitting still, keep em working for peanuts, keep em breeding more taxpayers. Good, obedient little cogs in the wheel.

Government can too easily be a self-serving machine.

6. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Keep the undocumented working for peanuts - agree.
    Both parties keep their sides outraged.

The gay issue is not relevant to Arizona. But speaking of gay this is what Elton John said in Tucson at his concert:

"We are all very pleased to be playing in Arizona. I have read that some of the artists won't come here. They are (expletive)wits! Let's face it: I still play in California, and as a gay man I have no legal rights whatsoever. So what's the (expletive) with these people?"

7. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    welcome to america, elton!

seriously, he just follows the money. after all, he played limbaugh's (4th and counting) wedding.