Who's Riding the Roads Tubeless?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by MTBMaven, Jul 26, 2008.

1. JohnnyDalton

JohnnyDalton New Member

I'm running tubeless on two sets of wheels, the Durace w/Hutchinson Atoms and Mavic Krysium SLs w/Specialized tires which are in fact rebranded Hutchinson Fusion IIs. The Atoms are certainly a little less comfy than the Fusion II's. The Krysiums aren't drilled, so I just bought a Stans valve stem and they've been fine. Nice rolling tire, I'm using both down (Shimano and Mavics) at Eldo on Tuesday nights and both are proving to be reliable, although I prefer the Fusion II's ride quality over the Atom. I sliced an Atom on glass one afternoon and the Stan's plugged the hole after bleeding off about 30 lbs of pressure. I pumped them back up to 85 lbs and the Stan's blew out again, then resealed at 50 lbs. I think the benefit to rolling tubeless is the ability to ride fast w/less pressure. I would run >100 psi in tubed tires and roll w/<90 on the tubeless.

2. kanga

kanga Active Member

I must have jinxed myself with that last post! #-o

This morning I went to ride off on the commuter bike, and the rear tire was flat. Turned out the valve stem had separated from the tube.

New tube, injected with Stan's and no patches, is mounted and holding air.

3. Endo Verendo

Endo Verendo sure

studio camera operator
    Home Page:
    I almost gave up on RT because of the mounting/dismounting difficulties... that is until I figured out how to really do it. Now it's been relatively easy to mount and dismount. The key is to keep the oposite end you're working on deep into the channel. For dismounts, use a lever and pry a little at a time until you can push the bead off with both hands like you're removing the whole tire.

Btw, I switched back to tubed tires for a couple rides and promptly flatted.

According to Specialized the Turbos have different compounds than the Fusions. Not to mention the fact that the Turbos are readily available at a lot of Specialized dealers and the Hutchinsons... well, special order.