Who's in 2011 VQ/CC

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by davidB, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yup....if you're not ready now.....another week is not gonna make a difference.

Get on your mountain bike and do a ride through Santiago Canyon....hell of a workout.

2. Singular

Singular Happy is single & speedin

Web Designer
    Hello follow riders,

If there is anyone that feels for any reason you cannot due CC. I offer myself to ride the event on your behalf. Last year had to give my spot away due to injury. I ripped calf muscle set me back for 2010. This year I missed the the registertion poll my just under a 1min. I'm sure this happen to all of us here. I aware the time for tranfering names has expired. However, I believe there is no rule that another rider/person can ride on behalf of the registered rider. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been training very hard for this event even though I did not get a spot in and hopes of someone tranfering there name.

Just to give you an idea how hard my training has been like. On Sunday my wife says...”Are you riding in this weather?” “It looks like rain and it’s cold out there and windy”...I said “yes, I am”. I’m riding to Santigo Peak if possible. Believe it or not I did ride from Mission Viejo up to Harding to 4 corners down Joplin to Old Camp and back home. This might not seem to full CC miles however, Harding is one bad mother to climb in High Winds or 20-30 mpr with a temp of 40-50 degrees.

I could not believe I was doing this!. With strong winds coming from east side, my legs where holding up well. It's hard to explain how intense these winds got each time I went around the bin (corner) to climb and see the other side of the mountain. The wind felt like a great slap on the face telling me "Go home, YOU Don't Belong HERE!" I battled my way all the way to 4 corners. The higher you climb the colder it got. I stopped at 4 corners to eat and refuel for the next intense journey. As I'm Climbing up main divided, the fog thickened and made it difficult to see ahead 100-200 yards.
    By the time I got to the first control tower, I heard this loud blasting jet sound. It almost sounded like a 747 jumbo jet that was flying by or ready to take off. I looked around 360 degree view to see where this load sound was coming from. To my surprise it was just the high winds that where now up to speeds or 50+ to my calculations. I'm alone and no one is in sight, just myself and the high wind telling me "You crazy hard headed SOB!!" Now I'm moving on the flat part of Main Divided heading to Joplin. My first gut reaction is to play this one safe for now. It's 2 hours and 30mins on my time and the wind is blowing harder and harder. So I used my best judgment and made the smart decision to decent down Joplin. The further I got away from the top the less windy it got. Down, down and down all the way to Old Camp and out the Luge. Never felt better coming out from there. "Never let weakness convince you that you lack strength" is what I’ve learned and use in my daily life. I got home safe to wife and family, accomplished and satisfied. 36 miles total and with a time 4:15:00.

3. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I'm not sure you're ready...4:15:00? That might be close.... I think you need to trail a little bit more before attempting something like CC.

4. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Mission Viejo up to Harding to 4 corners down Joplin to Old Camp and back home. 36 miles total and with a time 4:15:00. In nasty weather on a SS.

That is plenty fine pace to finish CC, problem is CC transfers closed on March 19th.
    See Here:
    Transfers Now Closed

5. Singular

Singular Happy is single & speedin

Web Designer
    Really you think so? You know me that well already? Little that you know my friend...very little.

6. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

No, I was just joking. I barely have an inkling of a clue about what it would take to do the CC--I am a relatively new rider, have never done the CC and only have ridden part of the course, in separate pieces. You obviously can accomplish anything you set your mind to--kudos to you.

You must be this guy there were talking about on Geoladders:

03/23/11 11:17 PM -- Crazy ride.... Harding was hard on me for a variety of reasons: paused a bit for bull dozers and trucks on the first 2 miles, some puddles to walk around (no ruts here and didn't want to trek up 5lbs of dirt), then HAIL stones and rain after I started the decent; Had full finger gloves and booties, started feeling a bit like I had no business being out there when I saw a wild man going up in a yellow rain jacket almost at the base of Harding... Who was that guy? I said "Have a good time and laffed" because the conditions were far from cush and he just smiled; Harder core than me fo sho....

7. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Email from Warriors ...

To address an issue we've had with individuals taking the place of participants who are signed up for the event but did not transfer their position by the cut off time to do so - you will be required to show ID when you cross the finish line. Those who took the place of a participant without the permission of the Warrior's Society will result in a DNF being listed on the finishing times for the person whose place they took.

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Damn.... I thought they would have the retinal scan set up by then...

9. XcShane

XcShane Member

I know the finish line was changed a bit for this year. Where is the best place for the family to chill and wait for the racers to roll in throughout the day? Get a day pass at O'Neil park?

10. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:

Is this true? Will I need to show ID at finish (assuming I finish)? Never been one to carry my ID when I ride.

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    No, you cannot ride in someone's behalf. If the name in the registration does not match, you will not get a finishing time or feather and the person who was registered will receive a DNF.

Park at O'Neill and wait near the finish area. Bring lawn chairs and have them relax. This is the reason the finish was moved. Trabuco Creek Rd had too much vehicle traffic and somewhat unsafe for cheering families as the road was not closed to the the public.

I believe this only pertains to those who transferred their spot. I emailed our event director Sherry to verifiy. I will post here as soon as it clarified.

12. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    It has to apply to everyone. You don't know who secretly(*) transferred their spot.

(I always carry ID, in case of serious injury ...)

(*) secret
    1. done, made, or conducted without the knowledge of others: secret negotiations.
    2. kept from the knowledge of any but the initiated or privileged: a secret password.

13. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    How about showing ID to get a wrist-band?

14. TBlazen

TBlazen Rider Doooood

03/23/11 11:17 PM -- Crazy ride.... Harding was hard on me for a variety of reasons: paused a bit for bull dozers and trucks on the first 2 miles, some puddles to walk around (no ruts here and didn't want to trek up 5lbs of dirt), then HAIL stones and rain after I started the decent; Had full finger gloves and booties, started feeling a bit like I had no business being out there when I saw a wild man going up in a yellow rain jacket almost at the base of Harding... Who was that guy? I said "Have a good time and laffed" because the conditions were far from cush and he just smiled; Harder core than me fo sho....

I wrote that one.... It was not him as this guy had a white car with a bike rack
    (only other car I saw in the lot at the end and no one going up or down except him). Anyhow, that had to be a tuff ride he did and obviously made a big impact on him. Many of us know why we love this sport and he certainly has passion!

I don't think I am totally ready for personal reasons (two deaths in the family), my 50th Bday two weeks ago, a trip to Vegas for our 15th anniversary, the weather, etc, but I think I can get to the first cut off in time. I think someone said it earlier: I just want to finsih at this point! BTW, on my post I also said that I saw PUA. Very, very nice person and pretty kewl to get insight into peeps that are waaay good, like her, Manny and Jeremiah...

Good luck to all ! :bang:

15. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Sherry just replied to my email and it will apply to everyone.

BTW Doug, we do know who transferred their entries.

16. JoJon

JoJon Member

Rode Blackstar today, came across Chris Vargas and a crew from the Warrior's Society working on the washed out bridge. They were working on a bypass on the west side of it, a little wet at the time but should be rideable next week. A big thanks to Chris and the guys for your hard work!!

VQ trail work 003 (Small).jpg VQ trail work 001 (Small).jpg

17. Impy

Impy Active Member

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I was not looking forward to walking across that skinny thing in the dark!

18. Gasper

Gasper New Member

I was just talking to another rider about that spot and am so glad there's a better way for 400 or so riders to cross. Thanks for your hard work!

19. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Don't know how much weight you guys put onto weather forecasts that are still a week out, but next weekend has now had rain added to the forecast. Gotta love the weather this winter! Sunny M-F, Rain S and Su

20. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    Hopefully, Blackstar will get a chance to dry out with the 80 degree forecasts for Wed and Thur. A gunked up drivetrain is not how I want to spend the following 7-9 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.