Who's in 2011 VQ/CC

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by davidB, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    All post about having spots for the VQ or CC have been deleted. Please refer to the waiting list. Sorry if it takes longer than you want, but that is what everyone goes through when selling their spots.

2. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    So I just looked at results from 2010 and was amazed at all the DNS and DNFs. 15 signed up, paid, and didn't even start the race. That is just about 8% of the registered riders. Then, there were 33 DNFs. That is just about 19% of all the people who started that couldn't finish.

I also noticed that if you add up the DNS, DNF, and all the people who finish, you can see that 191 people registered for the event. Seems like an odd number. I would think they would cap it at an even number, like 200.

**In 2009**
    196 Registered riders, 14 DNS and 22 DNF.

**In 2008**
    181 Registered riders, 14 DNS and 40 DNF (That's a lot!)

Just had some free time at work and thought others might be interested in some numbers.

One thing I did notice is that there were some names that had a DNF in front of them on sequential years.

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Here's another stat - 50% of the top eight seeded riders did not finish (or start). #-o

Seems that top bib numbers go to known racers rather than random selection.

4. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

Back in the day you had to have somebody vouch for you or had to complete the counting coup in certain amount of time before they let you do the Vision Quest. This was to keep people from getting in over their heads, now it's just about getting that entrance fee.

5. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    The number is capped off at 350 for the combined VQ and CC, 175 for each. We tried to up it to 400 total, 200 for VQ and 200 for CC, but was denied by the FS.

Some of those who show up on the results page are members of the Warrior's Society and have the option of riding the event and some WS members are race officials/course marshals who also show up on the results but not counted in the 175. 10 are WS members in the 2010 results, 12 in 2009, 14 in 2008.

There are also volunteers that ride this and not counted, but get a time on the results page. We all wear numbers plates so we can easily be identified when coming through aids stations so we can get aid. Not all the people who man the aid station know who the volunteers and WS members are. Race officials have 500 number plates.

IMG_6018.jpg

There are also riders from the sponsors of the event like Cannondale, Rock N Road who are comped and not included in the registration but show up on the results page as well. Without the sponsors and volunteers, this event would not be the success it is.

The 1st 10 numbers are reserved for the top finishers of the previous years. We gave them out randomly 1 year because of a new system being used that year. That was in 2009 when Manny wore bib #192 even though he should have wore #1.

That's all fixed now and unless those previous years top 10 don't show up, those numbers will not be issued.

If you can finish in the top 10 this year, you'll get a number from 1-10 issued to you next year.

Does any other event tell you that you can't race expert if you so desire? Why then would we?? :?:

6. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Might have something to do with payment issues--people that register but their credit card doesn't go through and they don't wind up registering.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

We cap the registration at 175 riders fir each event. Warrior Society Club members do not count against that number, so that is why the numbers are over, but not an even number.

As for the DNF's......some people do get in over thier heads, but sometimes things don't go as planned on event day. You can be totally prepared, yet have a bad day, mechanical breakdown, etc.

People sign up and want to see what they are capable of.

8. Redbaron

Redbaron New Member

Has anyone heard if the CC this year is coming down upper holy jim or lower holy jim?

The course description just reads "Santiago Peak to the Holy Jim Trail". Is that upper or lower?

9. davidB

davidB Active Member

10. mtnbikej

Yes, you will be descending both Upper and Lower Holy Jim.

11. Redbaron

Redbaron New Member

Lovely. . . .we rode both upper & lower Holy Jim yesterday, and it seemed all of the work that was done on both trails recently was washed away. Are there any plans to clear out some of the trail, or are we looking at what were ridding now, on April 2nd?

12. mtnbikej

I know we have a trail work date scheduled for the 19th on Holy Jim.....but I am not sure what will be done.

13. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Well, even though I am on the waiting list - I am out.
    My wife told me that I am busy that morning with a 4H event; and since I'm not in = I'm out.

14. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Thanks again to WS for all of your hard work with your free time to maintain these trails. Aside from upper holy, are any other portions of the race scheduled to be worked over? (motorway, etc)?

15. mtnbikej

Holy Jim is getting some TLC this weekend......

Motorway was worked on just after all the rains.....so I believe it is how it is going to be.

There is only so much that can be done......

This is what makes the VQ/CC different every year......you never know what new challenges you will have to deal with.....rain, mud, snow, wind, heat, rough trails...every year it changes.

16. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Yeah man. Went down motorway 2x in the last 2 weekends. Somehow, it seemed slightly better on the second run. The shale was loose, per usual, but seemed to be deeper and gave more of the "bike through sand" effect than in previous years. There is also a section just past half way down where I always find myself just out of control for 8-12 seconds - still cant find the right line/speed going in that helps without totally slowing down to a crawl.

Nevertheless, perhaps the fact that more people are coming down it now, since the rains have stopped, means more of the rubble will be kicked off the main trail. I still have nightmares about those precarious non-loose sharp rocks that pepper the shale. One of these days i'm going to rip a tire wide open on them.... or rip my body wide open.

Still, got to love having some technical, no-nonsense downhill to separate the roadies with power legs from the all-around riders. :bang:

17. Impy

Impy Active Member

I want to ride the CC course on Friday. Any one interested? I'd prefer not to do it alone.

18. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Sending you a text, Colette.

19. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Hmmmm got up @ 5:30 this am...gonna still be pretty dark out there come April 2

Saturday 2 April 2011 Pacific Daylight Time
    Begin civil twilight 6:12 a.m. (Dawn)
    Sunrise 6:37 a.m.

In case anyone is interested
    Dawn is the time that marks the beginning of the twilight
    Twilight is the time between dawn and sunrise

Definition Sun's centre relative to mathematical horizon[3]
    Civil twilight −6° ≤ θs < 0°

[​IMG]

20. mtnbikej

Yup......it's gonna be dark.......but you all got an extra month to train. :clap:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.