when to use the drops?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by FyrFytrRyn, May 2, 2007.

1. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    so, riding the last 4 days, i still havn't used the drops. i know when im supposed to, but it just doesn't feel faster, safe, or any better then staying on the hoods. so, are drops more efficiently used in group riding? ill ride another month or so and get a few group rides in, but im considering converting it to a flat bar. pros, cons, suggestions?

2. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    I use them when going down hill and that's about it. And on a long ride it's nise to have the choice of a different position as well.

3. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Hubby rides all the time in his. Climbing, on flats, descending... if I'm in mine too much my back starts to hurt pretty bad. So, I typically spend a lot of time on the hoods. I think pro's mostly use them if they are trying to be aero while descending, and also when trying to speed through the flats.

Not sure if that is at all correct, though :) I haven't done a group ride.

4. Edog

Edog Member

Set up

My last 3 new road bikes where not set up very well when it comes to the drop outs. I spent about 2 hours setting up my road bars, which will in most cases involve unwrapping the bar tape & repostioning the hoods. It's well worth getting it right as it really helps you get an aero dynamic form on the bike. This is really going to be noticable when riding into a strong head wind.
    The stem is going to play a big part in this too. You may find you can flip it over to get more raise to make the drops & hoods more comfortable. If not & you got your bike at a store take it in & they should switch the stem around to suit your fit! If you are new to a road bike you might even want as much as 45 raise to start out. I didn't ride my road bike for about a year & had to change the stem as my body just wasn't use to being that low. Now I'm back to the old one
    You can re wrap bar tape easily, I actually went for a few rides with out it to make sure that the bar & hoods where right before I re wrapped the bar.:wave:

5. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    I don't use the drops much either. But I do use them when descending. You get more leverage on the brake levers when in the drops.

I also like to use them for periods on the flats when there's a lot of head wind.

6. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    Yeah, the big thing is to use them when you're descending. It's an absolute must. You're much more securely attached to the bike that way. Otherwise, the right unforseen bump can blow you off your hoods and wipe you out. Plus, as someone said, you get better brake leverage. I also ride in the drops facing headwinds, etc. It's good to move around. Give it some time. It won't feel good for a little while but sooner or later you'll start to feel good in them and will always be in them on the way down.

7. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    i almosyt always ride in the drops, but since my bars dont have a flat spot on the drops im on the very ends of the bars to help my wrists. my bike is even a bit big for me to sit comfortably in the hoods but it can be done

8. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

The drops are a huge part of road riding. As most people have said, they make you more aero. As 0gravity mentioned, they give you the stablility you need while negotiating descents, turns, etc. while not having to worry that some bump you don't or do expect knocking your hands off of the hood creating a horrible crash... When I first hopped on the road bike, I felt way unstable using the drops, but quickly I felt otherwise once I put some time in on the bike. Be patient...You will feel comfortable soon!

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

On top of all of the above, I've heard that the drops are also good for sprinting, as they give a bit of leverage, along with the aero. If you look at track riders, they are always in theirs, of course, they also don't have to worry about brakes and things in the road.

But, the more you ride in them, they more comfy you will be in them.

10. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    Word. Sprinting is always done from the drops. But it sounds like it may be some time before you need to get that skill down. :bang:

11. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    thanks for all the info guys, and Allison. ill just try to ride in the drops more tomorrow and see how it feels. ill try to do most of the ride in the drops and see how i feel afterwards. i actually flipped the stem the 2nd day i had it, but it was sitting way to high, in retrospect i could have removed the spacers, lol. ill play with spacers and flipping later today. thanks again, gees i love this place.

12. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I only use the drops for fast downhills or sprinting.

Or trying to tuck behind someone and cheat :)